Do you log all of your vegetables?

Options

Replies

• SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am not all that concerned about vegetables. I do log them but sometimes I just estimate if I am in a rush. I am of the mindset that vegetables weren't what made me fat. Everyone has their thing though. I have lost 100lbs and do log and weigh stuff accordingly but my 1/10 or 1/15th of a cup of bellpeppers isn't going to hurt me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    ...Hence the debate. Not too much for me. About 5 lbs a year meh

Meh? I HOPE it's not 5 pounds a year. In ten years you'll have 50 pounds of extra "vegetable" weight hanging around your mid-section. Just sayin'... ;)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    If I didn't log my vegetables I would have no food diary for the most part. I know there is this idea that vegetables are a "free" food, but I have yet to see that be remotely true with me. Today alone I have 135 vegetable calories. Once I have dinner and any vegetable related snacks that number will likely double at least. And yeah, there may be just 7 calories in a cup of raw spinach. So it seems like nothing. And if some leafy green with that few calories is all it is and nothing more then maybe it doesn't matter. I log it all because what's the point in logging to maintain my intake if I am just going to let some things slide?
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I need to weigh accurately to check net carb levels. If you feel like it's not slowing your progress, then do what you want.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    I do, especially for fiber and such. There are some exceptions: garlic, or a sprinkle of herbs, green onions, or ground spices/seasonings.

I do a quick add estimations for those. I do weigh green onions, though.

There are some spices I weigh and measure. If I'm making chili, I tend to use a lot of chili powder, and that stuff has a surprising amount of calories. I always weigh that. Cumin can add up too, if you use it in quantity.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I log them, not just for the calories, but also because I like to see where I'm at with intake for nutrients, fiber, etc.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    yes and no. The program I started out with was free veggies. I also did not count calories either. I was required to eat at least 2 cups of veggies per day, which I still do. For the longest time after joining MFP I pondered logging veggies or not. I finally sorta log them. I eat at least two cups of my main veggie, but I dont weigh it. My container is a 2 cup container so I go from there. I really dont worry about eating too many veggies. If I want to eat cucumbers, then I do. I have a "salad" everyday as a snack. I log the lettuce, but again its just an estimate. But I also dont log the coffee I drink everyday or the almond milk and creamer I add to it. Im sure some will have a field's day with my post but I really don't care. I use FF ranch dressing and I do not log that either. The few times I have weighed it out just to see how much it is, I usually ended up adding more dressing than I use just to get to a half serving. Like I have always said, when I get to the point that i am no longer losing weight then I will know I have to tighten up. That's my story...
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    During my weight loss phase I weighed/counted everything that had calories. Now several years into maintenance I'm a bit more relaxed about things, as long as I'm consistently in my maintenance range. Veggies I now spot check weigh, maybe 1-2 times a week.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh the really "light" veggies. I don't worry about exact amounts of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, etc. I just eyeball and use the nearest volume measurement.

I absolutely weigh other veggies. Green beans, beets, carrots, parsnips, squash, turnips, etc.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    On WW I didnt, because those "free" veggies were already factored into their calculations. Now I count them all. I want to know where I stand calorie wise every day. Your body is logging them even if MFP isnt.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth, it goes on my log.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It depends on the calorie content. Potatoes are logged accurately. Lettuce- not so much, pretty much every salad in my log for three years has two cups of romaine.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I log veggies but for lettuce, spinach and other leafy greens, I usually eyeball the quantity. Everything else gets weighed and logged.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    Do you log all of your vegetables?

Yes, of course ... even the radishes which come in at 1 calorie. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I log ALL my veggies, because I'm not only tracking my calories , but my micros too, especially fibre.

Agreed. I log all of mine. Spinach may not have many calories, but it has a lot of Vit K. I try to reach a variety of macro and micro targets. The best way to do that is to weigh and log it all. I hit all of my vitamin targets, and most of my minerals (ETA: today I did, the two previous days I hit everything except the Vit K, but I was over on that today, thanks to the spinach, numbers are neat).
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Don't understand why it's easier to omit logging certain things, seems to me it's easier just to log everything. Sure, some veg is very low calorie, like cucumber or lettuce, so you don't need to be quite so accurate - but small numbers add up into big numbers, so if you completely miss it out then you don't really know what you're eating. And other veg, like peas and sweetcorn, can be higher in calories than you might realise.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is what I do, maybe it will help others.. Generally all non starchy veggies have about the same macros. So I picked one bag of frozen vegetables to use to always log my veggies... Cascadian Farm Organic - Chinese Style Stir Fry Blend. 2 cups of any frozen or raw veggies = 50 calories of Cascadian Farm Organic. If you take your time to actually calculate the individual vegetables it comes out to approximately the same amount, 50 calories for 2 cups. 2 cups frozen/raw= 1 cup cooked. I don't use a scale for veggies just a measuring cup. This is how I've been logging, and it's been working for me. It is way too time consuming and annoying to count and log all vegetables with complete accuracy, especially when making a salad. Lettuce or spinach I usually just ignore and don't count. Kale and broccoli I sometimes count individually, it has calcium and I like to check up on my total daily calcium intake.