Protein shake before bed?

Options
ebgbjo
ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
I still am in the positive for everything and want to try to get some more protein in, but not in the mood for food like chicken, beef, ect. Could easily put away a protein shake, but how good is that idea to have one an hour or two before bed?

Thanks

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You can drink it right before you lay down. It's fine although it may make you feel sick. I assume you are drinking it with water instead of milk.

Alot of people will drink Casein protein at night instead of Whey because it's a much slower digesting protein while you sleep. Either way you can drink it 1 hour before bed, or 5 mins before. It does not matter other than personal preference.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Not a bad idea at all :) If you have the calories available, and could use some protein, drink up!
  • bethany675
    bethany675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A MFP friend of mine suggested BSN Lean Dessert Protein. Its about 150cal., 8g carbs, 21g protein. I LOVE IT!!! I mix it w/ Fuze Slenderize which is low cal. and low carb also.....YUMMY!
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    the trainers at the studio that I go to have us drink protein shakes right before bed. i think it help repair muscles or something. It doesn't seem to bother me at all. I add frozen fruit and it is a treat for me
  • MeganLeddy
    MeganLeddy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Protein is the best thing you could eat before bed (says my gym trainer :) ) Because it gives your body something useful to "feed" off of while you are sleeping. It can burn protein better
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake before bed, and I haven't had any issues. I never make my protein shakes with milk, I always use water. Not sure that it will make a difference just a personal preference.

My favs are Champion Nutritoin's Chocolate and Wellements Alpine Vanilla.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hey make sure it is Casein protein. Casein protein is a slow dissolving protein that rebuilds muscle and burns fat all night. Do NOT drink whey before you go to bed ,make sure it is Casein!! Cottage cheese is almost all Casein protein, so you could do that too!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Having one right now after a cardio jiu jitsu work out!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I just had a protein brownie. Good to get something in your belly before bed. IMO.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I usually just have them in the morning (amp wheybolic extreme) with frozen fruit and coconut milk- glad to know right before bed is fine
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Hey make sure it is Casein protein. Casein protein is a slow dissolving protein that rebuilds muscle and burns fat all night. Do NOT drink whey before you go to bed ,make sure it is Casein!! Cottage cheese is almost all Casein protein, so you could do that too!

Bro, it's not a huge deal if people drink Whey before bed. Casein is just better. I drink Quattro Pro - 7 stage protein.