No squat rack

Options
Shanairah1991
Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
edited December 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I started going to a new gym. It's closer to home, is open concept with windows (the one I had been going to has the weights in a small basement, no windows, and cardio machines on the second floor. For anyone wondering why I switched) but it doesn't have a squat rack or any straight bars, except the one for the bench press. Would it be acceptable for me to take the bar off the bench press for squats or should I stick to using the smith machine?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    smith machine squats aren't squats, dont waste your time .

Some bench presses have arms that you can raise up and they turn into a squat rack. If not, and you can safely get the bar on your back, you can squat without a rack, but you wont ever be able to get heavier than you can get up to your shoulders.

As far as it being "Acceptable" to take the bar off the bench and use it for somethign different , its your gym you pay a membership , you can use the equip however you want.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking about Zercher squats, or clean the bar for front squats? Otherwise, I'm not sure how you'd get into position. Just wondering.

If you don't have an actual squat rack, perhaps goblet squats or lunges might be a suitable replacement. Working safely on the Smith machine requires a bit of form modification - I'm not sure it'd really be worth it.
  • Shanairah1991
    edited December 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    If not, and you can safely get the bar on your back, you can squat without a rack, but you wont ever be able to get heavier than you can get up to your shoulders.

I never thought about that. I can lift about 50lbs up over my head but can do 100lb squats.

I am doing a free trial right now but perhaps I'll go back to the dimly lit dungeon feeling gym. At least they have a rack. Lol. Thanks!
  • Shanairah1991
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Are you thinking about Zercher squats, or clean the bar for front squats? Otherwise, I'm not sure how you'd get into position. Just wondering.

If you don't have an actual squat rack, perhaps goblet squats or lunges might be a suitable replacement. Working safely on the Smith machine requires a bit of form modification - I'm not sure it'd really be worth it.

I hold the bar on my back. :) I'll see if the bench press can be raised like SonyaCele said and go from there. I've never tried gobet squats, I'll give them a try!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Ask your new gym to get a rack? Pick a different new gym? I couldn't take the dungeon option personally. (claustrophobia is real)
  • Shanairah1991
    Options
    Ask your new gym to get a rack? Pick a different new gym? I couldn't take the dungeon option personally. (claustrophobia is real)

I guess I'm just trying to find the better of two evils so to speak. I loved Goodlife, spent 2 years there and lost most of my weight with them but then we moved and now my fiance needs our vehicle for work.

Basically my options;
    The Y is free and a 30 min walk. ("Dungeon")
    The one I'm going to now (Snap) is a 15 min walk and cheaper than Goodlife. (No squat rack)
    Goodlife is not within walking distance so I would need a bus pass and it's the most expensive option. (Financial burden)

I'll enquire about the rack next time I go.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats just require a dumbbell & some core stability
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've done Plie squats with a weighted belt that one would use for dips a few time in a pinch. Everybody who does goblets makes a big stink on never seeing it before at my gyms.

You can run the chain through four or five 45 plates and get more out than just a dumbbell goblet.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I've done Plie squats with a weighted belt that one would use for dips a few time in a pinch. Everybody who does goblets makes a big stink on never seeing it before at my gyms.

You can run the chain through four or five 45 plates and get more out than just a dumbbell goblet.

That's genius.

I might work on the husband to eventually invest in the stuff to do that, especially since I am far more comfortable squatting plie/sumo as far as my hips are concerned.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Other squat variation would be to use a land mine (t bar) for more weight
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and why are you squatting first of all?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

@Chieflrg what does this mean? what chain and how do you hold 5 45# plates? I'm used to doing goblets with a dumbell & can't picture what you mean! Thx!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

@Chieflrg what does this mean? what chain and how do you hold 5 45# plates? I'm used to doing goblets with a dumbell & can't picture what you mean! Thx!

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Military press the bar onto your shoulders and do lunges.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The best gym is the one your going to go to. If the Y is a 30min walk and you feel like your going to a dungeon your more apt to 'skip' a day when your not feeling it. There's just too many negatives to hold you back. If Snap is only a 10min walk your probably more apt to make that trek on a regular bases.

Your not lifting a ton, yet, so a lot of the options people have given you will work at Snap.

Good Luck!