Is it just me?

Options

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Im down 65 pounds and only change to my diet i really did was added veggies and mixed in with the normal :p
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    kellyogda wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that eating regular foods but staying under your daily calories won't shift weight?

I promise that thought is false. I have chocolate, candy, chips, etc. and all the non-diet foods regularly, and I don't gain a pound because I eat as much as I burn. I ate pretty much the same when I was losing weight, except that I ate less than I burned.
  • kellyogda
    kellyogda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great thank u everyone!!! Just need to keep going!!! X
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by "shift weight". I lost 66 pounds by just eating at my calorie goal so I know that it works. I eat something sweet everyday. I often eat processed foods and eat out regularly including fast food. I have added more protien, but other than that I haven't changed what I eat, just the amounts I eat.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by "shift weight". I lost 66 pounds by just eating at my calorie goal so I know that it works. I eat something sweet everyday. I often eat processed foods and eat out regularly including fast food. I have added more protien, but other than that I haven't changed what I eat, just the amounts I eat.

It's a British term for lose weight.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

It's a British term for lose weight.

Thanks. I thought that's what she meant, but I wasn't sure if she meant that, or if she meant "spot reduce".
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. I lost over 60 pounds eating "regular food"
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that eating regular foods but staying under your daily calories won't shift weight?

It's not just you, as is obvious from reading through the MFP forums. Plenty of people have that same misconception. Plenty of others have happily lost weight eating the things they enjoy in proper portions while maintaining a calorie deficit - which is all that is necessary for weight loss.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I eat all "regular" foods and have no problem dropping weight on 1500 calories every day just from ice cream.

If can eat where your protien and fat minimums are hit and stay in a deficit, you can eat what you desire
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    People may think it but they are wrong. It is about calories.
    I eat the food I always did just appropriate amounts and have lost 20+ lbs.
  • activeadriana
    activeadriana Posts: 70 Member
    Options
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I eat regular foods and I have lost 146 Lbs so far so I know you can eat regular foods and lose weight. I tried early on to drink the protein shakes and I had to gag it down and it was 220 Calories. I told myself then that I would only eat foods that tasted good to me. I just eat a small percentage of that food. I had a nice Thanksgiving and ate Turkey and cranberry sauce. I didn't have any apple pie or the macaroni salad as it has mayo and pasta - plus I don't like it that much. I can always find something to eat in any situation. I had a lunch meeting a few weeks ago at work and instead of not eating, I just found something on the menu to work with my weight loss. I keep saying that I am going to run my diet and not let my diet run my life. Good luck on your journey and I hope you have great results.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 3/4 of a pizza spread out over a day about once a week since I started. I've split a few pans of brownies with just my husband and have Mexican hot chocolate most nights of the week. I was doing this on 1200 calories. I've lost 30 pounds so far and maintained my sanity.
  • gwenster89
    gwenster89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The "calories in, calories out" rule is based on the laws of thermodynamics so I think it's probably feasible for a lot of people who aren't completely sedentary.

The problem is that "regular" food is mostly full of absolutely crap. Food shouldn't be manufactured in a factory, it should be grown. I'm a farmer so maybe I'm biased, but our food system is deeply, deeply broken.

However, I've done a ton of my own research about this because I'm a nerd and I like to know how this actually works, how fat is actually burned. The fact is, foods high in simple sugars will store as fat if you don't use them up. So even if you're restricting calories, if you're not getting exercise, you may lose pounds but you might not want the body you want to have at the end. Strength training is where it's at... muscles burn calories even when you're not working out, so the stronger they are, the more they burn.
  • islandnugget
    islandnugget Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I only eat regular foods and I'm down 38 pounds, with 7 more pounds to reach my goal. I don't even eat lite, low-fat, or reduced calorie foods....I just manage my total calories and try to incorporate more veggies...I also exercise at least five days/week. So far, so good.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options

I am sure there are others who think that way, but they would be wrong. Just a quick look around MFP and you will find people eating regular foods within their calorie goal and losing weight, sometimes lots of it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I just had to learn to enjoy different kinds of food.
  • kellyogda
    kellyogda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Amazing comments thanks so much!!! When I wrote this status it was at the start of my weight loss journey, my weight is so up and down it's ridiculous, I can gain a stone in weight very fast by over eating and basically being a lazy *kitten*! I'm 12 days in and 7lbs down in weight!!! I'm training at least 3 times a week and still eating "regular" foods!! Most days I am under my calorie goal (mostly on training days) I don't eat all my extra calories but I'd say 50% of them... I'm starting to see a difference! I've tried mfp a few times in the past and never stuck to it... this time around I'm loving it! Thanks again your comments are helping a lot!