Helpless

I need help please. I'm going through menopause and stressed out and all I've been doing is eating. I'm so HUGE right now and feel helpless. Can someone please help me. I'm going to the gym starting today with 30 min cardio. I started 1200 calories yesterday. I cannot fail at this. I hate being the biggest girl in my group not only that my knee pain is horrible and the more weight I gain the more it hurts. I need help to keep going and not give up this time.

Replies

• ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    The only advice I give is set yourself goals that are realistic to you and give them a date to aim for. Getting healthy is too vague . Also another thing that helps is keep a note of what your have each day and weigh yourself in the morning and make a note of what your did different to help or not help don't worry if some days you gain as long as the pattern is mostly down then it's OK. I guess you have an ideal weight. Eat proper foods that give the sensation of being full diet foods I don't believe work as the portion size is to small to fill the hunger yet have hit the calorie count and still feel hungry so people eat to fill full. The body doesn't count calories to feel full it takes 20 minutes to feel full best of luck
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    For a long time I was resistant to the idea of losing weight slowly, and if you're not ready to hear this yet I may be wasting my breath, but my best piece of advice is to slow it down and try to make the process enjoyable. As though you love yourself. Sustainability is important.

Admittedly I don't know how tall you are, but 1200 calories sounds overly aggressive for most people.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Alot of people have lost weight on MFP going through menopause. There are several groups running if you do a search. Don't worry, if you buy a digital scale, weigh and measure all your food, and stay within your calorie goal everyday as best you can, you will lose. Good luck.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited December 2016
    Don't worry, if you buy a digital scale, weigh and measure all your food, and stay within your calorie goal everyday as best you can, you will lose. Good luck.

THIS!!!

Also, use MFP to calculate your TDEE and run a 15 to 20 % caloric deficit. 1200 calories a day may be way too low, depending on your current weight.

Add me if I can help in any way. Best of luck...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,340 Member
    You're not helpless.

One day at a time make better choices.

I think trying to do too much at once can lead to feeling helpless, though. Make small changes, but make consistent efforts. If you fall off the 1200 calorie wagon (which, I agree - that's a tough number to stick with for very long,) get right back up and try again. Study your food diary here and make adjustments. I believe it is a long project - it took me eight months to lose 70 pounds, but I've kept it off for nine years, and you can too.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    agree with the others that say 1200 seems really low/overly agressive

I like to use tdeecalculator.net to determine calorie needs
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 266 Member
    1200 per day is low if you are exercising, I would suggest sticking with a 3500 calorie deficit per week if you can. Slow weight loss is more sustainable. I know, it is hard to be patient. I have 30 to lose. Let's do this together.