Overweight Beginner At Gym

Options
Hello,
At one time I was fit, but due to medications & depression I have gained a significant amount of weight back. So, I am coming from a low fitness level. There was a special at my local gym so I decided to join. Does anyone have any advice for which machines (cardio or strength training) are easier for beginners? Or ideas where to start? I have always exercised at home or gone on runs/walks, so joining a gym is a big change for me. Any advice overall would be appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• jonessoda17
    jonessoda17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think the most important part of starting out is to make sure you don't over do it. It's easy to workout too hard and end up veeery sore, and that stops a lot of people from going back once they are feeling better. I would recommend to start with the eliptical for cardio and some light dumbbell lifts for strength. Then after a few days you can figure out your baseline for excersize and go up from there. Have fun! The gym becomes very enjoyable once you get into the swing of it.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Do you get a gym induction? Here they'll often set you up with a basic routine for free.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yes, that ^. Most gyms offer a free session on how to use the machines correctly, (very important) and make recommendations for you.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Definitely take advantage of whatever kind of induction your gym offers to new members! If you want to dip into the weight room (which I absolutely recommend), check out some beginner programming. Have a game plan (whether it's a 5x5 program or another routine that you found on BodySpace, Nerd Fitness, etc.) going in. I've found it helped me an awful lot when it came to feeling aimless and/or intimidated when I was new. Most importantly: listen to your body and don't assume that you have to sweat a ton or be totally wiped out by a workout for it to be effective.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Speak to a trainer at your gym or look into something like starting strength or strong curves. Just so you know, according to the body mass index the majority of good sized body builders are considered to be obese, so they know the struggle. But not really
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is the weightlifting program I started with a little over a year ago. It's pretty balanced and will give you a foundation to build on. forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

That is if your goal is lifting. The research indicates building muscle is far better for fat loss than cardio although I do cardio so I won't have a heart attack....
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I had a similar beginning and started with low impact cardio (elliptical primarily) and the Stronglifts 5x5 program until I got the weight down to a level I felt confident to start running again. I also attended a course taught by a pro body builder and she really focused on form. We spent the first sessions with broomsticks to highlight errors in movement, then working up to light weights and finally onto resistance and progression. Since doing this I am lifting heavier than ever before and injury free.
  • slim1156
    slim1156 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i went back to the gym after having been away for months. i chose to get myself back into it by starting with machines. the great thing about starting there is that you don't have to worry about form; the machine positions you. start light and increase in small increments until you feel challenged. if you start with the highest weight you can manage, you'll be sore the next day and it will be harder to go back. don't forget to take days off so that you don't work the same body parts on 2 consecutive days.

best of luck!
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I started at the campus gym for the first time ever in August. I do the elliptical and weight machines but I am thinking about taking advantage of getting a trainer for the new year to focus on strength training. My gym is pretty chill, I've never felt intimidated even though I usually one of the bigger girls there.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I too began lifting with the All Pro programme @shagerty777 posted above, and am still following it a year later. I did the beginner HasFit and Nerdfitness at home before hand- absolute beginner.

The 45 lbs bar available where I work out was too heavy for me to begin with so I worked out how to run the programme using Dumbbells, good for form, balance and small muscle activation, and machines for weight progression. This weight does not transfer over when switching to the bar.

I now have 2 lighter bars available so have de loaded and am working up again.

All that was said just so you know that you can take a programme and, with a bit of research, adapt it to suit your needs and equipment available.

Do get a tour and intro to the gym if it is available. It really helps in learning the conventions of the environment and feeling more comfortable in the space.

I spent time on the rowing machine watching how people interacted with the equipment and how to adjust it.

Go in gradual and work on form and rebuilding your fitness level. Baby steps.

Cheers, h.

• alignedsoul
    alignedsoul Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the recommendations guys! Very helpful. Now that I've been going a bit I've found I really enjoy doing some cardio, but weight training really resonates well with me. I like being able to work all my muscle groups individually for a full body workout. :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    As well as all the advice above; don't forget that weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. The gym is a nicety but a calorie deficit is a necessity.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There are a plethora of lifting programs. If you aren't comfortable with a barbell, you can always start with a free weight or body weight program. If you want to learn more about training and nutrition, there are several good books in that link, which you can start with: StrongCurves, Muscle for Life, New Rules of Lifting for Women.

The biggest thing, and I can't stress this enough, is start light and get the form down.