Losing inches but not weight!

Options
:flowerforyou: I have been doing my weight loss challenge since Feb. 2011 I have lost 30 pounds so far. For the past month I have not lost a single pound. I have been bouncing back and forth with a couple pounds each week. I am still losing inches. I am keeping to a 1200 calorie diet and walk the track 4-5 x a week 45-60 minutes. When will the weight start to come back off. I know I am probably gaining muscle and I know that is good but it is frustrating. I am 5'2 and weigh 200 lbs. I would love to lose another 50-60 lbs. Thanks for any help.

Replies

• shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    You might not be eating enough. Try raising your calories to 1400-1500 for a week and see if it makes a difference.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Let it go. :) Keep working at it and things will work themselves out! You are working hard toward a goal, but that doesn't mean that your successes will be linear. Know that you are doing the right thing and trust that it will get better! Good Luck!
  • mbrinzer
    mbrinzer Posts: 3
    Options
    you have to change up what you are doing. maybe try joining in a class. hope this helps.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Could you increase your cals a bit maybe to 1400 and eat every 2 - 3 hrs, that should speed up your metabalism.
  • JLSchmetterling
    Options
    Muscle does weigh more than fat, so that may be why you've slowed down. Shonasteele may be right too about not eating enough. If you eat too little your body goes into starvation mode and holds on for dear life to every fat cell you have.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd try upping your calories as well... or mix up your training routines - find a class, get a bike, go swimming. Your body may just be used to the walking and mixing it up might trigger some more loss for you.

I can't see your diary, but I'd look at your macros - making sure you're staying within for everything (maybe going over on protein). I find I often go over on sodium and sometimes sugar, but drinking an extra glass or two of water could counteract that.
  • HoLynne
    HoLynne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Someone else put this up earlier today and it explains a lot, check it out.
    http://www.activepassivediet.com/files/active_passive_chapter_1.pdf
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're eating enough food to fuel all the workouts? That can sometimes keep the weight on. Losing inches counts way more in my book, but if you're wanting to drop more lbs. you might want to take a serious look at your water intake, sodium intake, take out & pre-packaged foods as they can have so much extra fat and sodium in them.

Try dropping your sodium level down to 1500 it's made all the difference in the world for a number of ppl. It's really quite easy to keep under that cooking your own foods and adding only healthy foods to your days meals.

Congrats on the 30 lb. drop, that's great!:drinker:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I love lossing inches ! Keep up all the hard work it is paying off :) !
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    Zig Zag your calories. I'm in the same boat. I rotate between 1200 5 days a week and 1400 on Saturday and Wednesday~ I eat all day long and work out in the evening. You should start to see a difference. Do you eat back your calories?
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have found that when the scale refuses to move, the inches fall off quickly. Then once the scale starts moving again the measurements don't really move. I love seeing the scale move, but I would much rather lose the inches. (That's what people notice anyway.) For me it seems that for about 6 wks its the scale moving, then 6 weeks of inches lost.

I keep changing my goal from 2 pounds per week to 1/2 pound per week every couple weeks. (That means 1200 for a couple weeks, then 1500 for a couple weeks. Although if I am particularly hungry I make sure it is set to 1500 ish) I also try to change my workout routine pretty often. Keep your body guessing.

Good luck! And keep up the good work, and keep believing that you are doing what you should and the scale will eventually start moving again!
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yup I went through that for about three weeks. Don't worry the weight will fall off.
  • vivid2012
    vivid2012 Posts: 31
    Options
    Yup I went through that for about three weeks. Don't worry the weight will fall off.
    Yup, the weight will fall off soon or later.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Someone else put this up earlier today and it explains a lot, check it out.
    http://www.activepassivediet.com/files/active_passive_chapter_1.pdf

That was great ! My heart sank at first, so glad I read the artcile all the way through. You should post this so more people will see the information.
  • kerlyp
    kerlyp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It may be that you have hit a plateau. Try this link and see if it works for you. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/3-surprising-ways-break-through-your-weight-loss-plateau
  • danki11
    danki11 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for sharing link to active\passive diet - good info!