Best way to calculate calories burned.

Options
Hey guys,
I have been using fitnesspal for 30 days now and have lost 5.5lbs so far. My question is..what method do you use to calculate calorie burned if I'm using Jillian Michael ripped in 30 (30 min interval workout) and where would you log it in myfitnesspal?
Any ideas would be great!

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor is the best way to determine.

For guessing I'd choose circuit training I guess.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options

For guessing I'd choose circuit training I guess.

I agree. It is worth having a heart rate monitor. I find that "aerobics" under mfp is usually a pretty close match to my hrm (a tad high but much closer than any other entry).
  • royabear
    royabear Posts: 1
    Options
    I was just searching the same thing and I read from different people online that for level 1 that it burns between 150-190 calories.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I was just searching the same thing and I read from different people online that for level 1 that it burns between 150-190 calories.

I get much higher than that, 220 at least all the way up to 250. It varies depending on the persons height, age, weight, sex.
  • vivid2012
    vivid2012 Posts: 31
    Options
    are u sure for that??
  • cfrimming
    cfrimming Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always use a calories per minute calculation but I'm sure it varies by weight. I use a treadmill to get a baseline since it gives me calories per hour. I just try to guess how hard I'm working on average as compared to a slow walk, a medium walk, a fast walk, a walk with various inclines, a slow run, a medium run, or a fast run. It's a guess but as long as you guess low, it should be close enough.

And I never miss any opportunity to add calories burned. Cutting grass, doing yardwork, cleaning, painting ... I track it all. If I'm going to pick a sedentary lifestyle calorie limit, I'm going to track anything that isn't sedentary. Not the best advice but it's worked for me.
  • MnDiezel
    MnDiezel Posts: 3
    Options
    Heart Rate monitor is the most accurate.:bigsmile:
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor
  • syreetahasting
    Options

I have one that i bought @ ****s sporting Good..just gotta make sure it doesn't pick up everybody's heart rate..I have a FT7