no progress

Options
I am frustated in losing weight no matter what I do I can't seem to take the weight off , I have COPD and any treadmill workouts have no effect on my weight loss attempts I cannot walk really fast on treadmill before I am gasping for air. I eat lunch out each day and only eat half portions eating the rest for supper am watching my selections at the diner. I have tried jenny Craig and all I lost was the money and my time. Any suggestions?
:cry:

Replies

• vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    how many calories does mfp have you set to? Are you staying within your limits? Are you doing any other type of exercise? A strength training exercise might be easier on your lungs AND the muscle will help to burn some of the fat.
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think you should not put too much thought into it. when we stress about it, it makes it really harder to lose, you seem to be doing a great job thus far. just walk slow on the treadmill or try lifting light weights. be as accurate as you can with your calories and portion, and also be sure to track it all! keep it up and if you need any support send me an add!
  • vivid2012
    vivid2012 Posts: 31
    Options
    I am frustated in losing weight no matter what I do I can't seem to take the weight off , I have COPD and any treadmill workouts have no effect on my weight loss attempts I cannot walk really fast on treadmill before I am gasping for air. I eat lunch out each day and only eat half portions eating the rest for supper am watching my selections at the diner. I have tried jenny Craig and all I lost was the money and my time. Any suggestions?
    :cry:
    keep on trying, you'll make it. Good luck for u.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You can try to pack healthy lunches for the days you eat out, or try to find healthy options if you think those lunches are a problem. Regular exercise is a must in my opinion, you don't need to do it very fast to increase your aerobical capacity and endurance, you should instead of trying to do it too fast, try to keep a steady pace for a longer period each time trying to maintain a heart rate above or around 100bpm. If you haven't done it in a while start slow and gradually build up the time you spend on the treadmill.

Hope it helps, keep doing the right thing and eventually you'll see results.

All the best,
  • Moneymama_123
    Options
    Have you tried working out in the pool? Doing laps ( even walking) are the pool is easier on your joints. It could help with the COPD. Maybe bringing your lunch would help out too. Don't give up, you will find what works for you.
  • aparks1177
    aparks1177 Posts: 63
    Options
    If you are staying within your calorie allowance and not loosing weight you may want to check with your doctor and see if it could be a medical reason. It may also be a good idea to see if your doctor could recommend a exercise program that wouldn't irritate your COPD. I wish you the best of luck!!! You can doi it!!!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your calories??? How many are you consuming - and how much are you exercising?
    I found I didnt lose ANY weight even though I was working out on a regular basis until I started counting calories. I live a fairly active lifestyle - working in a fast paced job where I am constantly moving - but that wasnt enough.

I try to maintain a net of 1500calories - and aim to exercise 500cals a day. Now you said it is difficult for you to walk long/fast for very long. I get that - that is EXACTLY where I started. Try to break it down. Do a bunch of little walks throughout the day. When I first started I couldnt make 10 minutes at even a moderate pace. I was 315lbs and I thought I would die after only a few minutes. I started walking to and from work (it took about 15 minutes at first) and on my breaks I would go for a walk aswell. I used WII FIT for exercise - something to get me started. I managed to drop 30lbs or so.
    I maintained this loss for almost two years.
    I got engaged and bought a dress so I put my weightloss on hold until after the wedding - but shortly after the honeymoon we joined the gym. From October until March - I lost not an ounce! If anything I GAINED! Yikes.
    Then I found (and fell in love with) MFP!!!!
    I started counting calories - and started pushing myself harder inthe gym. I am far more aware of what I eat - making sure I eat proper portions.

Is there anyway you can pack a lunch? That would probably make a huge difference. At work I keep a box of Vanilla Almound Special K for my breakfast - and I usually bring fruit and yogurt for lunch. Even if you dont have a refridgerator you could pack a sandwich or something else that will keep in a bag.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    It would be a lot easier to help if your diary was open.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Especially since you have a significant health condition, I would talk to your doctor about it. Medications you may be taking for COPD might affect your weight loss, too. Again, consult with your doctor to see what options there are.
    Even if the scale isn't budging, mild exercise and watching what you eat are good for your body.

The only other thing I would suggest is eating no more than 2-3 times a week at a restaurant. Even if you only eat half portions, the menus and preparation methods of the vast majority of restaurants are going to leave you lacking in some vitamins and other nutrients, and most likely high on your fat, saturated fat, sodium, and fiber. Try brown-bagging it a few times a week and cooking dinners at home with lots of veggies (leftovers from last night's dinner make a great lunch).
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I would suggest talking to your doctor about what type of exercise you could do. I dont know anything about COPD, but I know that since I began working out in March my asthma has drastically improved. I started slow and felt like I couldn't do much, now I barely have any trouble. But please consult with your doctor about what you can do and if it should improve the condition.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Another thing to remember is to weigh everything, don't trust your eyes for as much experience as they may have. We tend to underestimate the calories and overestimate the exercise.
  • jens70
    jens70 Posts: 2
    Options
    If fitness pal doesn't work, try WW. I actually had more success with WW, the calorie counter is a bit off on this system. I agree that exercise is the most important aspect of weight loss, especially as we age. Continue to exercise with lower pace and longer time.
  • CindiJ
    CindiJ Posts: 20
    Options
    You might find Dr. Leo Galland's book, "The Fat Resistance Diet," helpful. Besides nutritional advice, he includes meal plans and recipes. It is a good tutorial as to what factors can hinder weight loss and how to attune your diet to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable way. As for exercise, if you have access to a swimming pool, you can get a lot of benefit from just moving in water - walking, treading water, floating moving your arms and legs. Also stretching will just make you feel more mobile and limber. Cardio definitely helps work off calories, but you can lose weight even with physical limitations that limit how much cardio you can do. Walking with ankle weights and working with hand weights can help build muscle which in turn will help burn fat, too. Wishing you the best. Don't let your frustration win.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bumping so this lands in My Topics so I can respond tomorrow.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Was too tired to stay online last night.

What type of COPD do you have? This topic is near and dear to me. I lost my grandfather to lung cancer and my father to emphysema. I also have emphysema and I understand your struggles and frustrations with running out of breath while exercising. Since I don't know all the details of your body, I will tell you what has worked for me personally and maybe some of them will work for you.

I only use medication if it is absolutely necessary for functioning or comfort. My original pulmonologist had me on spiriva, advair, pro-air inhalers, antibiotics, albuteral, and steroids. I changed doctors and went off most of the medications. I know that someday I will need to add several of these back into my life, but I will remain at the lowest level of medication needed instead of just taking everything the doctor pushes at me.

I quit smoking completely.

I saw a respiratory therapist to learn new techniques for breathing based on my activity and environment.

I saw a cognitive therapist and engaged in counseling. I had assumed a defeated attitude and outlook on life. I saw myself as a victim of an incurable disease, felt hopeless and helpless. I had to regain the reins of my own life starting with my attitude.

I pushed myself through (and still do) no matter how many times I struggled. If my goal is to burn 200 calories, I stick to that goal no matter how many times I need to recover or start over or stop and catch my breath.

I self-talk while I exercise.
    I know what that profound terror feels like when you feel like you can't breathe your next breath of air. I make sure that I am checking in with myself before it ever gets to that point.
    Also, when I'm feeling short of breath, I let myself know I am breathing. I will literally blow air onto my hand or lick my lips and feel the coolness on them so I can say to myself "See, there is air flowing in and out of your mouth! You are breathing!"

I quit caring how I look or sound at the gym. I will make some pretty silly faces and noises in order to assure myself I'm breathing. Sometimes I will have to breathe harder or faster, tongue pant, purse my lips, blow, etc.. to get the air flow doing what it should be doing. (Those are all tips a respiratory therapist can help with also.)

I continuously try new things. There's no way I will ever be able to do an advance step class or run a marathon. That's not part of my reality. But I CAN do things to keep active.
    When I find things I can do, I try to add them into my routine.
    When I find things I am not able to do, I don't just give them up. Instead I modify them.
    I'll never run a marathon, but I'm determined to waddle a mile, even if it's at a snail's pace.
    I'll never be able to freestyle swim again because of the breathing techniques needed, but I can still go to water aerobics and work at my own level.

I hope some of these tips help you. I'm sorry it was such a long and delayed response, but I feel deeply about this topic. Most human beings rightfully take breathing for granted and it's very frustrating to have such a basic element of life become an ongoing challenge daily.
    Keep your support system strong. It's easier to fight this battle with friends, whether they fully understand all the complications and challenges or not. As long as they are supportive, caring, and helpful, you'll benefit from having them in your corner.

You are most welcome to add me as a friend here on MFP if you'd like. :happy: