30DS with HRM = Disappointment.

Options
I did day one of the 30 day shred today and according to my Polar HRM I only burned 187 calories... Really? That's it?! My legs were shaking after and I definitely worked up a good sweat. I guess I feel like I got more of a burn than only 187 calories...
For those who have done it and use an HRM how many calories do you usually burn?

I weigh 148 and am 5'6" if that helps with any advice at all. ;)

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    one of my MFP friends only burns around that. My HRM shows me burning around 350-390 calories. Just do it, the muscle toning is awesome!
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    I'm 5'6" as well, but have about 40lbs on you ;) On level one I burn (on average) around 375 calories with 3lb hand weights. HTH!

(but I agree, the toning is why I do it. Its really helped with my strength development too)
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    When plugged into a calorie calculator - circuit training (which is what 30DS is) burns just shy of 200 cals in 20 mins. It sounds pretty close to me. It just feels worse...
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I haven't done 30DS but if it more strength than cardio you probably will see a lower burn but better tone in your muscle over time. Perhaps supplement your workout with a short run or jog afterwards and it will help your muscles loosen up and and let go of the lactic acid as well.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right for the burn. The less you weigh the less calories you burn. That's why its harder to lose those last 10lbs.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Using my polar, I burn about 250-300 calories.
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a wrist HRM and it always shows me at 190 or so calories burned and I weigh a lot more than you do :).
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. I burn just over 200, and I'm 5'8 and 150. The first time I was surprised too, but even though I'm really sweating my heart rate doesn't really go up except just a bit during the cardio parts. I can breathe, my muscles just feel like they're going to give out, so I've accepted it.

On the bright side, you're going to be all toned and have those sleek sexy muscles in no time ;) who cares about the calories.
  • vpsmith14
    vpsmith14 Posts: 71
    Options
    I have been doing JM dvds for several months now and in the beginning I totaled like 240 doing the shredd and ripped in 30. Now, months later I'm only hitting about 180 per level. But I normally do them twice back to back for a better work out.

tricia
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I believe its because there isn't much cardio on the video. For example, if you were to log 20 minutes of cardio it would burn more calories than 20 minutes of weight training. But weight training is necessary because it burns more calories overall and helps with weight loss so you should definitely keep at it. Hope this makes sense!
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about the calories burned. You are building that muscle, which will help burn the fat while you are not working out. I am 5'6", but I weigh more than you do and I burn anywhere from 221 - 350. It all depends on your surrounding evironment too. I recently did the shred on holidays while we were camping. Our camp site was in the sun and I burned more calories while working out in the sun than I did later on in the week at a hotel we stayed in (in the air conditioning).

So don't be disappointed, you will be happy with the results if you stick with it. I am on Level 3 now Day 4. So far I have lost about 10 inches all over since starting the shred. In total 14 inches and about 14 lbs

Stay focused and have fun with it!
  • Alegria79
    Alegria79 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have similar stats to you (5' 4") and 149 lbs and I burn 220 calories doing the 30DS. I was disappointed with that the first time, but then I realized it was really only 20 minutes of working out -- but it does get my heart rate up! If you wanted a higher calorie burn you could repeat one (or more) segments. I am doing the 30DS and running 3-4 times a week for additional cardio. I just started that combo a week ago so I'll have to see how it goes!
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and 110 lbs, and the average burn I get while doing level 3 of shred is about 125.... way less than I expected before I got the HRM, but it's still a great workout that'll get you toned in no time!!
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I feel better now, thanks! :smile: I will just keep at it and maybe as I go up in the levels I will burn more cals, either way I'm sticking to it! Walking 3 days out of the week on the treadmill might not be a bad idea either to get a bit more cardio in.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My average burn for level 1 was around 162. Level 2 was around 170 and just a few days into level 3 I am averaging 135.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I feel better now, thanks! :smile: I will just keep at it and maybe as I go up in the levels I will burn more cals, either way I'm sticking to it! Walking 3 days out of the week on the treadmill might not be a bad idea either to get a bit more cardio in.

Definitely stick with it! Even though it is not a huge calorie burn it is a heck of a workout. I am not seeing much change on the scale, but am noticing more tone and definition. I also feel a lot stronger with many of the moves!
  • VaBeachNurse
    Options
    I burn around 225 calories using my Polar. I'm on level 1.
    I agree that it seems like it should be more calories, the workout about kills me, but then again it's only 27 minutes. So I think that it's pretty accurate.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'6" and 208lbs... my hrm would tell me about 310 with 5lb weights.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. Don't give up! I've heard a lot of people say that they lost not weight, but they lose a lot of inches.

I just did the first day of level 2 today, and i've already lost 6lbs and 2in in my stomach. It WILL pay off!

You're just more fit than others who burn 300 calories, so we'll lose more fat, and you'll lose the fat and see definition in your muscles, arms, stomach, legs etc
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I burn between 300-400, depending on the level and how hard I push it, but I am 186.