Late night cravings

Options
I'll do really good all day but around 7pm I'll start craving something to snack on. I've tried popcorn/nuts/fruit/vegetables/more water/etc and nothing is working. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

Replies

• e_mullll
    e_mullll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried having a snack earlier and then eating dinner closer to when you have those cravings?
  • sydneygwhite760
    sydneygwhite760 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well I try to eat something every few hours but I'll eat dinner around 6:30-7. I try not to eat past 8 and I don't really want to keep snacking after eating dinner.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    What is "really good"? How many calories are you hoping to eat each day? What is the weekly weight loss you gave myfitnesspal? How much weight do you have to lose, anyway?

And now for the really detailed stuff: What's your macro distribution?

These things and more matter and the biggest part of this journey is the education in the management of you that you get. If your weekly weight loss goal is 2 lb and your daily calorie allowance is 1200, learn to be smarter about this. Change the weekly loss goal to 1 or 0.5 lb. That allows the daily calories to rise to a level that you already know is more easily achieved.

Are you exercising? Hard? Are you eating enough calories to replace part of those calories burned in exercise?

Are you better sated with protein, fat, or fiber? Are you eating too many carbs? There's an answer to your question, and it's in your food diary.

I also try to not eat after 8 pm, but often that can't be helped. One thing I do if I finish eating before 8 and then sense an interest in snacking on more is that I'll exercise long enough to get thoughts of food out of my head. If that fails, then perhaps the exercise burns the calories of the food anyway.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Save calories for late night snacking.

When we start a weight loss plan sometimes we eat when we're not hungry. Figure out your natural hunger patterns and adjust. I'm a late afternoon to evening eater. So I consume very few calories early in the day when I'm not hungry, and save them for the times I am very hungry. 85% or more of my daily calories are consumed between 3:30-11pm.
  • sydneygwhite760
    sydneygwhite760 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jerome Barry- by "really good" I mean that I'll stick to my planned meals and snacks but later at night I'll start craving like chips or sweets and I end up eating everything in my kitchen.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth after dinner, I know it sounds weird, but it helps me not want to eat again sometimes. Or when you have a craving have some tea instead.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal for the day?
  • aussieketogal
    aussieketogal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Are you bored? Sitting watching TV?

I have been analysing myself and have found that if I am sitting in front of the TV at night I start getting fidgety and wanting to snack. Even if I have just eaten dinner 30 minutes prior.

But if I am doing something else, tidying up, playing a game, reading or crafting for example I don't think about snacking at all.

Maybe see if you can work out what triggers your snack attacks too. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. I start eating around 10:30 am. Therefore I keep eating right up till about 11 pm ... and I can because I haven't eaten breakfast. :) That's what works for me!