Fighting against antidepressants

Options
Does anyone have experience with gaining weight while on antidepressants? I'm currently on 10mg Lexapro for generalized anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder. I've fought this for 15 years on my own and just recently started the medicated route, so please no one tell me to just stop taking my pills. I've been increasing my water intake, and switching my go-to comfort snacks to healthier options. I'm back at the gym but I am having trouble. Does anyone have any tips? Or experience they can share? My last resort will be to switch medications if I keep gaining, because I am in way too much pain to stay overweight. (Scoliosis too, hurts much more when I'm heavy.) My doctor treats me like a drug seeker looking for attention so I really would rather not bring it up with her. I'm looking for a new doc.

Replies

• kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I was on 20mg of Lexapro for several years. I actually felt that it helped with controlling my weight. Not that the medication it self did anything to my appetite. As someone who overeats when depressed, once the "fog" was lifted and I was feeling better emotionally, I was able to get a grip on my emotional eating.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    It may cause an upsurge in your appetite but there is nothing the medication does in and of itself to make your body require fewer calories to maintain the same weight. And the appetite effects should lessen as you adjust to being on the medication. Don't switch purely because of the appetite increase in haste if it is otherwise useful to you.

So my advice is start tracking your intake if you're not already and experiment to find what keeps you full and satisfied and less likely to want to snack excessively.

I have been on incredibly powerful psych meds, some of the most notorious for weight gain (and am about to resume them) and whilst yes, I did gain on them, it was because I gave no *kitten* about what I put in my mouth. I was still on them and starting to taper off when I started losing weight. When I start on new medications in a couple of weeks, initial side effects allowing, I will track and do my level best to at least keep within maintenance until I am adjusted and ready to reduce for weight loss again.

Long story short, take back the perceived power you think the meds have over your ability to control your weight.

This.

Calories is what it all comes down to. I am on a few pills that claim weight gain, but I still managed to lose the bulk of my weight with a calorie deficit. They did increase appetite, but I have learned to knock it down.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Nothing wrong with looking for an antidepressant that does not increase your appetite.

I tried a good half dozen antidepressants before I found Wellbutrin, which works really well for me. It's a little speedy, which encourages me to move.

My brother is seriously mentally ill and it was a disaster when his medication stopped working for him a few years back. After much trial and error, he is fortunately back on track.
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was on 25mg of lexapro for almost 2 years. I gained a lot of weight on it, and ultimately felt that it wasn't being that effective for either my depression or anxiety. I talked to my provider and switched to a different medication. I feel much better, and have lost all but the last couple of pounds of what I gained.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was unable to lose weight on my AD. And I tried. Hard. It wasn't until I weaned off of it that I succeeded. But I know folks who did not have that problem. I think you just need to keep at it and work with what you have now.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've been on 20 mg. of Lexapro two different times in my life for anxiety and neither time did it make me gain weight or seem to have any effect at all on my appetite. It was a miracle drug as far as I'm concerned. And I say that not because I think it's a miracle for everyone, but because I think the right anti-depressant probably can be downright miraculous. So don't give up. Work with your doctor to find the medication that works for you with no or minimal unwanted side effects. If your doctor doesn't support you then find one who will. Good luck!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    If the Lexapro does cause weight gain talk to your Doc there may be alternatives.

Don't get hung up if the meds say they may cause weight gain. My wife is on two different meds that say that and she's down 55 pounds, just doing CICO.
  • heatherdevine77
    heatherdevine77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't want to ditch the meds before trying my hardest to lose the weight first. Plus it's only been two months or so, so I wanna give it more time. It's true that my appetite has changed. Now I pretty much wanna eat nonstop. Literally, the second I get bored, I head to the kitchen. I don't even think about it. I'm trying to get out of the house more, with only healthy snacks in my bag, so I can't cheat whenever I want. But geez, I hope it calms down.
  • heatherdevine77
    heatherdevine77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    But it's good to know that people have been able to lose weight and gain control despite the meds. Thats what I was looking for.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Don't keep as much food around. Also the dosage may need to be adjusted but you're already at a fairly low dosage. Sometimes the time of day you take it can matter.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't want to ditch the meds before trying my hardest to lose the weight first. Plus it's only been two months or so, so I wanna give it more time. It's true that my appetite has changed. Now I pretty much wanna eat nonstop. Literally, the second I get bored, I head to the kitchen. I don't even think about it. I'm trying to get out of the house more, with only healthy snacks in my bag, so I can't cheat whenever I want. But geez, I hope it calms down.

I can understand you not wanting to ditch meds in general, but with all the antidepressants available, I don't understand your attachment to this particular med.

Get your new doctor and ask them if 2-3 months wasn't enough time to see if this one is right for you.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight when I was on Effexor, but I was also in a pretty bad place mentally. It was when I went off without tapering (horrible idea--don't do this--for me it was accidental and circumstantial) that I gained most of the weight that I've been working to lose since joining mfp.

Track your intake--weigh, measure, whatever you need to do. Don't snack mindlessly when bored--either have a big drink of water to fill up your stomach or go for a walk to clear your mind. Exercise--in addition to helping burn calories, it also releases endorphins, which will make you feel better, too.

I don't take any ADs now--running has been my "drug"--but I haven't been running due to an injury and I can tell it's wreaking havoc on my mind.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I can understand you not wanting to ditch meds in general, but with all the antidepressants available, I don't understand your attachment to this particular med.

Get your new doctor and ask them if 2-3 months wasn't enough time to see if this one is right for you.

Some antidepressants work better than others for people. This might be the only one they have found that works, hence the attachment.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Some antidepressants work better than others for people. This might be the only one they have found that works, hence the attachment.

Agreeing with you in general, but it sounded to me from the OP that this is the first AD she has tried.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Agreeing with you in general, but it sounded to me from the OP that this is the first AD she has tried.

And if it works, why go through the he pain and suffering of trying others that might not work?
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm on an antidepressant. When I first started my appetite went crazy. I was ravenous. However, extreme anxiety had caused me to have a lot of trouble eating in the months leading up to me going on the medication. I had been essentially forcing myself to eat while my stomach flipped and turned. I just kept counting my calories and trying not to let my ferocious appetite make my food choices for me. After a few months my appetite evened out again. I've been on it for over a year now and in that time I've had a lot of success with my weight. Honestly if you are trying to lose weight, you were over eating before you went on this med and trying to lose weight is already going to be a fight against your instinct to overeat. The medication might make it slightly more difficult. But, it should improve things for you in other areas of your life. I would rather have a bit of a harder struggle with my desire to eat entire bags of potato chips than ever go back to the place I was in pre medication.
  • kshama2001
    Options

And if it works, why go through the he pain and suffering of trying others that might not work?

I've taken quite a few AD that worked for depression but had unacceptable side effects, for example, Prozac gave me panic attacks and with Zoloft I lost the ability to orgasm. I'm glad I kept looking for one that did not have unacceptable side effects.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Find yourself a cognitive therapist who is experienced working with folks with anxiety and depression; both are highly treatable with cognitive techniques. If your general practitioner is putting you on the antidepressants, get a referral to a psychiatrist to evaluate your medication regime -- he/she may decide to "tweak" the dosage or what you're taking -- or leave your regime as is and add counseling to your treatment plan.

Best of all possible worlds is a psychiatrist (rather than your general practitioner) who'll work with your psychologist or counselor to collaborate on the best treatment for your condition. A vast majority of people do not do talk therapy with their psychiatrist because it's just too expensive (the typical psychiatrist appointment in the USA is 10 or 15 minutes to review meds and adjust if necessary) -- that's why a collaborative approach is best. Good luck.
  • Showthyme
    Showthyme Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I watched a relative gain 50 pounds once she started taking Lexapro and Amblify. She cannot get enough carbs.

Antidepressants can cause weight gain. Ask your doctor about Wellbrutin. Wellbrutin aids in weight loss and doesn't work against your libido. Talk to your doctor about your weight concerns and taking your current medication. My doctor had no problem switching medications for me. Exercise and vitamin D is nature's anti-depressant. Please understand that I am not saying that you need to white knuckle life and get off of antidepressents. Also have your hormones checked. An imbalance presents itself like anxiety and depression. Know that there are other options.

Psychotropic medications often cause people to crave sugar as the medication is wearing off. Please be mindful that it is your brain seeking more of something and not your body and you may have to talk yourself through the cravings.

Hope you post often so we can be supportive as you navigate through this.