Bent Over Rows...

Options
megemrj
megemrj Posts: 547 Member
edited December 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Mine suck anytime I increase my weight! Any ideas???

More specifically, my form deteriorates until I work with the new weight awhile.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What rep range are you using and how big are your weight increases?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if your form deteriorates on the first rep, then its too heavy. do a weight that you can keep your form until just about your last rep
  • megemrj
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I follow SL5x5. So the increase isn't very much maybe 2 lbs. But for some reason I'm awful at rows. I will get better with the increase, just wanting to know if there is a faster way to adjust to it.

And I'm pretty weak at it so only 67.5 lbs and my form suffered
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Try micro loading. If you truly have good form for your entire rep range, try adding a smaller amount of weight. Many gyms (including my house) have plates as light as 1.25 pounds.

EDIT: Sorry I missed your last post. It sounds like you shouldn't be increasing if a 2 pound addition is breaking down your form. Try slowing down your current reps, or holding at the top a bit longer.
  • jemhh
    Options
    How often are you increasing the weight? There's nothing wrong with using the same weight a workout or two longer before upping it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    One of my problems w/SS is the inclusion of rows as one of the primary lifts, which is treated no differently than the traditional Big 4 compound lifts. It simply is NOT the same as these other lifts and should not be included w/them in this way.

Like hip thrusts, IMO rows should be considered only as an accessory exercise performed at lower weight and higher reps (typically 10-12) while maintaining proper form throughout the workout.

You can try to do rows (and hip thrusts) for max weight but your form will be awful and the benefits (beyond ego) will be minimal.

Better to use lower wt and more reps with proper form to fully activate and engage all of the muscles involved, which will be of much greater benefit to you when attempting bench oresses, pushups and similar exercises and movements.

Just my 2 cents. I sure others will have differing opinions. This is MFP afterall. LOL! ;)
  • megemrj
    Options
    @singletrackmtbr - thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately my gym only has the 2.5 lbs and up. I think I'll try the pause and hold at the top and slow on the down. I'm doing a variation of this with my deads to work on grip and it's helping a lot...don't know why I didn't think of it with rows.

@SonyaCele - my form is fine until about rep 3-5.

Just aggravating that I didn't progress with weights on purpose for a long time to work on form then finally I increase and have to work on form immediately again.

• jemhh
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    One of my problems w/SS is the inclusion of rows as one of the primary lifts, which is treated no differently than the traditional Big 4 compound lifts. It simply is NOT the same as these other lifts and should not be included w/them in this way.

Like hip thrusts, IMO rows should be considered only as an accessory exercise performed at lower weight and higher reps (typically 10-12) while maintaining proper form throughout the workout.

You can try to do rows (and hip thrusts) for max weight but your form will be awful and the benefits (beyond ego) will be minimal.

Better to use lower wt and more reps with proper form to fully activate and engage all of the muscles involved, which will be of much greater benefit to you when attempting bench oresses, pushups and similar exercises and movements.

Just my 2 cents. I sure others will have differing opinions. This is MFP afterall. LOL! ;)

Speak for yourself wrt bad form due to higher weight at fewer than 10 reps. That's a pretty broad generality for either exercise. I tend to use 6-8 reps for both, out of preference and get plenty benefit. And trust me, my ego when it comes to lifting does not even make an appearance.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    @singletrackmtbr - thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately my gym only has the 2.5 lbs and up. I think I'll try the pause and hold at the top and slow on the down. I'm doing a variation of this with my deads to work on grip and it's helping a lot...don't know why I didn't think of it with rows.

Just aggravating that I didn't progress with weights on purpose for a long time to work on form then finally I increase and have to work on form immediately again.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I'm no expert, by any means. I feel like form breakdown would/could happen when increasing just because you're trying to manage a heavier weight. I noticed with OHP that I kept arching my back. Big no no. So I dropped back on the weight and I'm working on getting the form right. I couldn't progress with such large increases each time so I got fractional plates from Amazon. I love them! Keep at it..you'll see progress.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options

I forgot to mention 1 and 1/2 reps, which has helped me break through plateaus in the past. When you get to the top of the rep, lower only HALFWAY down, then pull the weight back to the top of the rep, then lower all the way. This counts as one rep. This will help you get stronger in the weakest part of the strength curve, which for bent over rows, is the top half of the motion for most people.
  • megemrj
    Options

I forgot to mention 1 and 1/2 reps, which has helped me break through plateaus in the past. When you get to the top of the rep, lower only HALFWAY down, then pull the weight back to the top of the rep, then lower all the way. This counts as one rep. This will help you get stronger in the weakest part of the strength curve, which for bent over rows, is the top half of the motion for most people.

^^will give these a try. I do feel rows are my weakest lift at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions & feedback everyone. I really appreciate it!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I added accessory lifts like (unilateral) landmine rows to my SL non-row day. That may have helped me.

ETA: I think muscle activation is key for both row (stabilizing back) and hip thrust (engaging glutes to lift).
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Something I was advised to do that helped my rows a lot is to take out all of the slack before starting the lift --- i.e. get my legs and back like they will be when lifting and put tension on my arms. I am also working to slow way down and not jerk the weight up quickly. Those things (plus a big deload while I work on them) have helped a ton.
  • 88Rian
    88Rian Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I bought two 1.25kg weights for the SS5x5 increases and take them to gym with me every time. Maybe you can find some 1pound Olympic bar weights online to purchase.
  • megemrj
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    I added accessory lifts like (unilateral) landmine rows to my SL non-row day. That may have helped me.

ETA: I think muscle activation is key for both row (stabilizing back) and hip thrust (engaging glutes to lift).

Ooh... I like these. They look fun.

Landmines...I definitely see in my future! Thank YOU :)
  • megemrj
    Options
    mreichard wrote: »
    Something I was advised to do that helped my rows a lot is to take out all of the slack before starting the lift --- i.e. get my legs and back like they will be when lifting and put tension on my arms. I am also working to slow way down and not jerk the weight up quickly. Those things (plus a big deload while I work on them) have helped a ton.

I take my stance as soon as possible, too. If I don't my form suffers from the get go and my shoulders bow to compensate. I plan to practice holding and slowing down the lift, will keep in check not jerking too. Thanks!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Look at this guy, advocating partial reps.

I approve. ;)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You can get smaller fractional plates from Amazon, maybe 1.25. I got several and just "donated" them to the gym. Or they are small enough that you can bring them with you each time.
  • rfonseca68
    rfonseca68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

More specifically, my form deteriorates until I work with the new weight awhile.

• rfonseca68
    rfonseca68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Rows are considered an assistance lift. With assistance lifts you may want to stay at a higher rep range- 8-10; usually shoot for 50 total reps. Use the five range with your squats, deads, bench and presses.