Breastfeeding Mama

Options
Hello,

I'm looking for breastfeeding moms to be with friends with. I am the proud new mom of a one month old and would like to find friends for support and motivation. I currently have MFP set to maintain weight and will change it to lose one pound a week a 6 weeks pp. Please add me so I can have people to chat with.

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    no kids here, but congrats on the baby!!!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!...is this your first baby...I'm asking because if you didn't know already more than likely you will lose weight ...of some sort....in your first six weeks
  • snowdancer03
    snowdancer03 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!...is this your first baby...I'm asking because if you didn't know already more than likely you will lose weight ...of some sort....in your first six weeks

Yes this is my first. I know that I will continue to lose weight while breastfeeding which is why I have put MFP on maintain until 6 weeks. I have a bad habit of thinking 'oh I'm gonna lose weight that means I get to eat more.' Breastfeeding or not eating a tub of cookie dough is not going to help me lose weight.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You're right, tubs of cookie dough are not known to help you lose weight. Just make sure you are getting enough fuel. What's most important now is quality milk production for your baby. If you are craving the tub of cookie dough, your body might be telling you to feed it more calories. You have the rest of your life to reduce calories and reduce body fat.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You can add me, I just started the gym this week at 8 weeks pp. I had read somewhere that it's best to wait until baby is at least 2 months to start trying to lose weight, since you don't want to affect your milk supply, especially if you are exclusively bfing like me. My baby turns 2 months on Sunday so I'm waiting patiently until then to create a calorie deficit. Right now I'm maintaining like u.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am EBF my 4 months old and trying to start losing weight. I have about 60lbs to lose. I don't know if I will be able to lose weight but I can still aim to better my diet until then :) My TDEE is 2200cals so I should eat 1700cals/day to lose 1lbs/week. I thought I would start at 1800cals and go from there. Maybe I will add or reduce, but either way I am starting to practice mindfulness! I'm adding you, we can help each other! oxox

Here's a link that was shared on another breastfeeding thread:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

I don't agree with the whole ''eat throughout the day so you don't get into starvation mode'' (though I would still recommend to eat throughout the way to avoid becoming too hungry and then overeating) but the rest of it had some good information in my opinion.
  • VirtualMellie
    VirtualMellie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the little one! I have a 6 month old trying to keep up with him a shed these lbs! :)
  • snowdancer03
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    Hi! I am EBF my 4 months old and trying to start losing weight. I have about 60lbs to lose. I don't know if I will be able to lose weight but I can still aim to better my diet until then :) My TDEE is 2200cals so I should eat 1700cals/day to lose 1lbs/week. I thought I would start at 1800cals and go from there. Maybe I will add or reduce, but either way I am starting to practice mindfulness! I'm adding you, we can help each other! oxox

Here's a link that was shared on another breastfeeding thread:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

I don't agree with the whole ''eat throughout the day so you don't get into starvation mode'' (though I would still recommend to eat throughout the way to avoid becoming too hungry and then overeating) but the rest of it had some good information in my opinion.

Thank you for the link. I sent you a friend request.
  • angskyy
    angskyy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New mom here too! 3 month old baby. We are exclusively breastfeeding and I have about 25 lbs to lose before I start hitting the gym to tone and build muscle! I've been warned on dieting while breastfeeding. I'm just going to try to eat smaller portions and healthier meals!
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new baby. I have a 14 month old and am down to just 2 feedings a day. I wouldn't worry too much about weight right now. I concentrated on getting a healthy diet (although that included plenty of cake and chocolate) and somewhere around 4 months the weight started dropping off and kept going until the last couple of months. I've lost 28lbs since then (no idea how much I was post birth) and am now a dress size less than when I got pregnant. I put it all down to the extra calories required when breast feeding. I'm back on here to try and maintain my weight as I'm still eating like when she was breastfeeding all day!
  • snowdancer03
    Options
    angskyy wrote: »
    New mom here too! 3 month old baby. We are exclusively breastfeeding and I have about 25 lbs to lose before I start hitting the gym to tone and build muscle! I've been warned on dieting while breastfeeding. I'm just going to try to eat smaller portions and healthier meals!

Yeah I'm logging more to track what I eat. I am hoping to find that sweet spot of getting fit and still having a great milk supply.
  • snowdancer03
    Options
    Nmt100 wrote: »
    Congrats on the new baby. I have a 14 month old and am down to just 2 feedings a day. I wouldn't worry too much about weight right now. I concentrated on getting a healthy diet (although that included plenty of cake and chocolate) and somewhere around 4 months the weight started dropping off and kept going until the last couple of months. I've lost 28lbs since then (no idea how much I was post birth) and am now a dress size less than when I got pregnant. I put it all down to the extra calories required when breast feeding. I'm back on here to try and maintain my weight as I'm still eating like when she was breastfeeding all day!

Great to hear you continued to lose weight. I had heard from other people you kinda stopped losing weight after 6 weeks.
  • ajhouse
    ajhouse Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I just had my second little girl on 9/29 (9wks old) and started back working yesterday, so back to pumping. I have lost 19lbs, and still have 14 to go til pre-pregnancy weight, then about 20 more to my goal.
    I set my calorie goal to maintain because I don't want to cut too much and hurt my supply. I have always heard/read that breastfeeding takes about 300-500 calories a day. MFP put me around 1700 calories to maintain so I am going to see how it goes and then adjust.
  • xmarye
    Options
    Nmt100 wrote: »

You're so lucky! With both pregnancy I put on a bunch of weight and I hardly lost any. I lost 15lbs after giving birth, and maintained eating anything and everything until now but I am 4 months postpartum and I would like to kick start this weight loss. I am still 30lbs from the weight I was before I had my second, and another 30lbs from where I was before I had my first. So I basically have 60lbs to lose! Oh and I used to be a size 6, now I barely fit in a size 13 :(
  • serpicolouise
    serpicolouise Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Six months (well on monday the 5th) light solids (1 tbs/ once a day) of solids so basically exclusively breastfeeding.

Second baby... with my first I hardly watched what I ate, worked out and lost like 50lbs in a year. This one not so much. Went into labor at 179, came home around 170 and am just around 160 after 6 months. Am in the Army reserve so I have to lose 25 lbs like yesterday...

Just started counting this week. Finding I need AT LEAST 1650 calories to maintain my milk production... not really sure whether to count workout calories... I usually don't but I ate 1650 yesterday and burned 300 working out and she woke up twice at night to eat and has been fussy... I am used to 1200 while dieting so I think I am eating to much at night cause I find it hard to keep up worth that many calories and eat healthy during the day.

She is teething too though so who knows... I think I may give her a bit more solids tonight...
  • ChristinePearlFNP
    ChristinePearlFNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Me
  • xmarye
    Options
    Update : I meant to start at 1800cals, but when I look at my weekly calories it averages closer to 2000cals and I've lost 5lbs in 1 week! That probably includes some water weight too as I have just started but I haven't changed my diet drastically, just portions and drinking water instead of pop or juice.

Will keep you girls posted :)
  • rachdevlin07
    rachdevlin07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on your little one! I have a 5 week old! Like you I'm also ready to drop this weight !
  • Noel798
    Noel798 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me! First baby, shes 3 months old 2 days ago. EBF (= had her at 190, came home at 190... I figure to much fluid retention from all the it's. Took about 4 weeks but lost 20 lbs. Back to my preprego weight (170) but would like to get to 150. And we will go from there(= I would love mommas to do this with!
  • ajmag2016
    ajmag2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! New mom here too. My baby is 8 weeks old and I am EBF. I have already lost my pregnancy weight but I find that I am extremely extremely hungry all the time so I signed up for MFP just to see how much I'm eating. I'm eating around 2,000 cals/day!!! That's a lot for me as I am a 110lb girl. Wondering if anyone has tips on managing breastfeeding hunger/snacks/recipes???