Eat more, lose more???

Options
Okay, so recently I posted about the nasty break up my scale and I had. I have decided to try to work on our relationship and give it one more chance next Tuesday. Until this week I had been eating just around my 1200 calories per day and burning about 400 calories per day. I got to thinking...maybe that, "eat more, lose more," theory will work since last week I stuck to my 1200 and nothing budged. I've upped my calories to 1400-1500 per day and am going to see if that makes a difference. If nothing else, I shouldn't have gained anything according to my calories consumed/burned, right? At worst it can just be another push for the week. I've got to have a serious talk with my body as to what I expect of it if my self-experimentation doesn't start to work! I'll let you know if my scale and I have come to a harmonious understanding on Tuesday! Wish me luck!

Replies

• kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Okay, so recently I posted about the nasty break up my scale and I had. I have decided to try to work on our relationship and give it one more chance next Tuesday. Until this week I had been eating just around my 1200 calories per day and burning about 400 calories per day. I got to thinking...maybe that, "eat more, lose more," theory will work since last week I stuck to my 1200 and nothing budged. I've upped my calories to 1400-1500 per day and am going to see if that makes a difference. If nothing else, I shouldn't have gained anything according to my calories consumed/burned, right? At worst it can just be another push for the week. I've got to have a serious talk with my body as to what I expect of it if my self-experimentation doesn't start to work! I'll let you know if my scale and I have come to a harmonious understanding on Tuesday! Wish me luck!
  • When you say that you were eating 1200 calories a day, how many times were you eating a day? I am at 1200 calories a day too, but I eat 5 scheduled times a day and I have lost almost 50% of what I was aiming at in about 3 weeks. What works best for me is 3-300 calorie meals and two 150 calorie snacks. I usually wait an hour and a half to two hours between each setting. It is working great, especially since I like to eat a lot. I can eat five times a day and not feel guilty since I am still not exceeding my target.
    PS I have heard that the more you eat, the more your metabolism speeds up, helping you to burn off the fat faster.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I was eating about the same as you...3 300ish calorie meals and a snack between each. I've upped my snacks to 1-2 extra low cal ones per day. I portion everything out before I go to work that way I have anything I might need with me. Sometimes I pack an extra just in case I need a "stress eating" food and I'm still sticking to my goal. I find it a lot easier to have everything pre-portioned as opposed to having to tempt myself with a whole package of whatever I'm eating. I've also tried to add at least 1 fruit a day to my diet for the extra fiber. I'm allergic to most fruits (get bumps on my lip, scratchy/hairball like throat, and occasional "fat tongue") but I'm trying to deal with it with the fruits that don't cause the worst reaction.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Two things...

One, your body adjusts to activity very easily. You may need to increase your activity by 20%. Easy enough, if you do 30 mins. cardio do 36, if you do 4 miles you need to do 4.8 etc. This will help your body bust through a potential plateau and make you stronger and give your body more muscle and a better metabolism.

two, you may need to up your calories. It sounds nuts, but the closer you get to your goal the more calories you have to eat on a regular basis to maintain your goal weight. I get stuck about every 10 lbs. When I started I was at 1250 calories, now 30 lbs down and I am at 1390.