Anyone lost 50lbs and had loose skin?

Options
I am very overweight (current weight 213lbs, goal weight about 154lbs). I'm 31. What's the likelihood of being left with loose skin?

Replies

• shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I have before and had no problem. Maybe it's due to all the water I drink, or vitamins, dairy, and healthy oils. I did and do all of that because it's supposed to help that and so many other things. Or maybe it's just genetics. I just know that your health is worth it either way.
    One fitness trainer YouTube video suggested filling it out with muscle. I like that idea.
  • tanny684
    tanny684 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks. My main worry if I'm honest would be my boobs. My tummy has always been flattish (compared to the rest of me) but as my boobs are ridiculously big I'm worried I'll be left with deflated balloons. But you're right health is more important :)
  • charis458
    charis458 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It also helps to lose the weight at a slower pace. If you lose too fast your skin does not have the same opportunities to self-repair.
  • sarahshealthy
    sarahshealthy Posts: 42 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    As of this morning I have lost 63 pounds. 236 to 173 (I'm 5'6) and I do not have lose skin. And I lost it in 2 years with 25 pounds coming off within the last few months.
  • mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    50lbs lost in 9 months. No loose skin yet! Went from 201.5lbs to 151.4 lbs
    rjrvkfdqz747.jpg
    1v67ebeet6ut.png
  • MissBeeGonz
    MissBeeGonz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're toning your body too and eating protein. That will help with loose skin. But also like PP said everyone is different.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I lost 70lbs at 40. Yes there was some loose skin, but looked and felt so much better than before! I lost a lot off my boobs, but there were saggy anyway since kids lol!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do have some loose skin.

Aside from choosing to remain obese or getting in a time machine and going back to before you became overweight and then not gaining the weight, there is nothing you can do to prevent loose skin. At this point, the damage is done and if you're going to have loose skin after weight loss, there is nothing outside of surgery that will change that.

Finish losing weight and then wait for a few years (1+ definitely, quite possibly 2-3) to see how much your skin shrinks. How much it shrinks is dependent on how big you were, how long you were big, genetics, age, and how much yo-yoing you did weight-wise.

Creams, wraps, lifting weights, losing slowly, etc. do not help shrink up skin. Creams will keep your skin moisturized. Wraps will help dehydrate the area and may tighten it up temporarily but not permanently. Lifting weights will make you stronger and will help your physique and give you something to obsess over and think about. Losing weight slowly will help minimize how much your skin shrinkage rate outpaces your fat loss rate. But none of these things will prevent loose skin or increase its shrinkage.