Going on a date tomorrow...what should I eat?

Options
melzteach
melzteach Posts: 550 Member
My husband and I are going out with another couple tomorrow night and I don't know what to get from the menu! It takes me forever to make a decision, when it comes to menu food, so I'd appreciate some help! I want to get something delicious, filling, and NOT go horribly over in calories tomorrow. In the morning I'll be getting my Turbo Fire on so there should be a little wiggle room but my daughter and I will be out and about at lunch so I'll have to eat out then too, maybe a Wendy's salad? Back to the first question...what should I get?
(This is the restaurant we're going to) http://www.hondosonmain.com/menu

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I wish they made it compulsory for restaurants to display the calories of menu items in their menus.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken sandwich with only half the bun and side salad?
    grilled mahi mahi sandwich
    sweet potato fries are my downfall
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I would say get the baked goat cheese salad with dressing on the side. Sounds yummy!
  • miss_melissa_
    Options
    Wow, what a yummy menu! This place has great options. I personally would give the Fish Taco Salad. I believe when you go out you should enjoy yourself. If I were you, I would work out in the AM to have some extra calories to spare. Order what you want and eat half of it. Wrap the other half to go right when your meal comes if you need too. Just enjoy your date night.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/20-best-restaurant-foods-america

here you go!! just a healthy reminder; some salads in restaurants have just as many calories as their main courses...if you want to really cut down on calories order a vegetable soup but if you dont want to look weird in front of the other couple, then ask for a side salad with dressing on the side. (i personally like just eating salad with mustard or salsa). ask for just oil and vinegar dressing

and dont forget ice water! :D
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. One meal will not destroy your goals. I lost 53 pounds and still ate out once a week with my family. Remember this is a lifestyle change and eating out does not sabotage your desire to eat healthy as long as it done in moderation.

• mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like the looks of the Baked Goat Cheese Salad and I would add the mahi mahi filet.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Sushi! I love it because it's actually really low calorie, high protein, and it's really good but tastes good enough to be a treat food. But since you already have the place picked out... I vote for the Mahi Mahi sandwich! Or the Fish Taco Mahi Mahi salad might be a better choice. Basically I love Mahi Mahi....
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    First, order water, and drink an entire glass before the meal comes. no chips, bread, appetizers.

I would go for the grilled chicken sandwich or the portobella mushroom sandwich, WITHOUT cheese, and WITHOUT their mayonnaise mix. Take off the top of the bun and don't eat it (or maybe the whole bun if you are short on calories).

order a small side salad, no dressing, ask for fresh lemon and maybe use a tsp. of olive oil (or bring your own Fat free low cal dressing with you), OR order a side of steamed veggies, no butter or oil (put your own on).

If they have it, order fresh fruit as well. you will be filled up with a delicious meal. Have a wonderful time!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I wish they made it compulsory for restaurants to display the calories of menu items in their menus.

They do in CA, if there are multiple locations :)
  • melzteach
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. Keep 'em coming!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    maybe call them first to see if there is a nutritional info page online, or if there is one there..i think it should be mandatory for ALL restaurants to provide that info..but i know they won't because im sure they will lose tons of business:mad: good luck, love, i don't know what to suggest for you, it all looks so good, but you can always ask questions:drinker:
  • kelbel76
    kelbel76 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wow, reading that menu just made me really hungry! Everything sounds yummo! Anyway, I say go out and enjoy your night. Order what you want but ask for a container right away and put half in there to take home and then eat only until you're satisfied, not full. And maybe only drink water or plain iced tea so you don't waste extra cals on drink.
  • johnsonjk
    johnsonjk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would go for either "What's Dave Smoking Tonight" or the "David's Best BBQ Brisket Plate". Salads are notorious in TX for being high in calories. These options are smoked somethings. Smoking shouldn't add a lot of calories. Get the BBQ sauce on the side -- you can say that you like to taste your food and your BBQ sauce to the other couple if necessary. You can then concentrate on getting a side salad (dressing on the side) with the meal and just eat.
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I didn’t look at the menu, but here is what I do, and I probably lost a few friends being a pain like this. I eat out a lot. First off, I don't waste my calories on drinks, so I get Perrier or water. On very rare occasions, I have 1 vodka martini. I usually eat a salad - dressing on the side (I ask for oil and vinegar and use vinegar only, or lemon only, sometimes, I bring my own (looks weird though - hubby gets embarrassed - but if you don't care like me, go for it). Then, I have Protein on top. If it is not on the menu, I ask for grilled salmon or a small filet mignon. I ask to serve it with no extra salt or butter and they can keep their motor-oil based sauces in the kitchen, too. I would actually eat a good vinaigrette but smell it! Usually, the smell makes me nauseous and I rather know what’s in it anyway. Bread is not so bad if it is not soaked in butter. I have 1-2 sometimes. US restaurants are pretty flexible and my approach works well. Not so much in Europe, though, hehe. The point for me is I don’t want to become a social outcast just because restaurants serve horrible food. I found out, they can make anything work if you ask.. .
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would start with the tortilla soup, minus the cheese. For the main course, I would pick the Port-o-Bender salad with grilled chicken, no nuts, no croutons, dressing on the side. Depending on the size, maybe wrap up half the salad for lunch the next day.

Edit: When I get dressing on the side, I dip just the tip of the fork into it before spearing the salad. This way I get a tiny bit of dressing in each bite, but I never finish even close to half of the dressing. It's easier and healthier than dipping the food into the dressing :smile:
  • melzteach
    Options
    There are too many delicious suggestions!
    I'm been hovering around the same 2ish pounds for about a month and I'm trying really hard to hit my goal of 20 pounds lost by the end of the month. I've got 3-4 more pounds to loose and don't want tonight to end up being another reason why that goal is getting further and further away.
    I'm sure glad they have a menu online...I'll check back in later tonight or tomorrow and let you all know how it went!
  • melzteach
    Options
    It was so delicious!
    I had the grilled chicken sandwich, no cheese, and a few smears of the remoulade & the side salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Thanks again!