Guys 6'2" - advise please.

Options
Craigus351
Craigus351 Posts: 7 Member
I joined in January and have lost 32.9kg's (or 72 lbs if you prefer). I'm currently at 105.5kg's (232.5lbs).
I am strugglling a little as to what I should be aiming for. The calculator states 65kg's to 88kg's (143lbs to 194lbs) is my healthy range but I can't imagine getting that low.
So, I was curious as to what you guys are aiming for.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am not 6'2", not even close, but that is way low, I would try to get a body fat % done and shoot for 15-20% body fat. I would say at 6'2" depending on your lifestyle. A healthy weight is 225 lbs but that again could be altered by your percentage of muscle mass. I am 5'7" my ultimate goal is 200 lbs.
  • jmassardo
    jmassardo Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm 6' 2" and right around 215lbs. I've cut the majority of the body fat that I had and I've started putting on a little muscle. I'd like to get down to around 200, but based on my weight over the last several months, I doubt it will ever happen so I've been trying really hard to not focus on the scale and focus getting stronger.
  • Craigus351
    Craigus351 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' 2" and right around 215lbs. I've cut the majority of the body fat that I had and I've started putting on a little muscle. I'd like to get down to around 200, but based on my weight over the last several months, I doubt it will ever happen so I've been trying really hard to not focus on the scale and focus getting stronger.
    I've been doing cardio mainly and will be starting on weights in the next few weeks so am also expecting a little weight gain to start with.
    Hey, same profile pic!
  • missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'1" and he currently weighs 160-165, down from his all time high at 250. I think if he loses the last 10 pounds he wants to he'll look like a skeleton!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    my co-worker is 6'2, and 48 yrs old. He currently weighs 195 and was told by his physician he needs to lose approx 20 lbs to be at a healthy weight for his height. So, he's shooting for 175 lbs. Don't know what his body fat% is, but I would think that would be a better goal than just weight alone.
  • JonesAaronM
    JonesAaronM Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a hair under 6'3" and I'm shooting for 180-185lbs. At that point, I'll evaluate how I feel, look ,etc.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think it depends A LOT on your frame size and how much muscle mass you carry. My husband is 6'1" and is shooting for 225. He played college football, and his playing weight was 285 (obviously he's not going to eat/workout like that for the rest of his life, but he did build the muscular frame for carrying around more pounds in a healthy way).
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am 6'5" and currently 205lbs, want to get down to 185 like I was in college and then add some muscle back. My longterm goal is to be at or under 200lbs the remainder of my life.

I think your goal size should be determined by what looks healthy and natural and not what the scale says in lbs (or kgs).
    Calculate and go by body fat % instead. Everyone is different frame wise and the way they carry weight.
  • BigNathan76
    BigNathan76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Weight by BMI(and the target weight associated with it) is a crock... The formula was originally created to measure a large GROUP of people not an individual... Shoot for a healthy % of body fat, being physically fit, and screw the scale. BMI is simply weight to height... doesn't take into account lean mass vs fat. None of us are pro athletes but you can't tell me a system that would put most of them in the overweight category isn't very flawed...

I'm 6'1" and given I've always been more muscular than most I'm shooting for around 215-220ish. That should put me somewhere between 15-18% body fat which is considered healthy. If I lost down to the BMI recommended 180lbs(just to barely get into the normal weight group) I would look like a sickly stick...

I could be wrong but don't let weight be the only measure of your success...
  • DallasEl
    DallasEl Posts: 54
    Options
    I am 6'2 and have lost at least 175 pounds(didn't start weighing myself until 2 months in) over the last 20 months. I am currently at 235 and feel like a couple million bucks. My health guide target weight suggests 150-180. I just don't see how I can lose another 55 pounds. Not to say I'm not still somewhat squishy but I just don't know if I have another 55 in me.

My goal since the start has been to hit and maintain in the 210-215 range. I have a large frame and feel this should be fine. I'm athletic as hell now and workout like a beast. I eat pretty decent I think but the final pounds are real hard to get off. Any advice for me?
  • jaretspencer
    jaretspencer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm shooting for 200 lbs and I'm 6'3"
  • monkeybu
    monkeybu Posts: 34
    Options
    Food for thought.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'2" and at 200 he was really too thin. 225 is a much better weight for him. He is medium built.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!