Any LEOs on MFP?

Options
Best patrol snacks?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm racking my brains and desperately trying to avoid a "nah I'm aries" quip. I've gotta ask what's a LEO?

Also what are your calorie allowances and portability requirements?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I thought it was going to be a pick up line. Came for the lulz, staying for the curiosity. :laugh:

What's a LEO? I know a dog named Leo.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    LEO is Law Enforcement Officer. The hint was patrol snacks. I would check out protein bars. They make a pretty good snack if you don't get the ones that melt. The other suggestion would be to carry a lunch box with freezer packs and take veg and hummus. You could also carry protein waters if you like them.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always carry protein bars. I don't really like the taste, but they are filling, keep my energy up and help me meet my protein goals. I'm also not tempted to overindulge like I would with tastier granola or candy bars. I usually bring an apple or two, and the small individual packs of SlimJim for a salty/meaty snack. Protein shakes are great too if you can keep them cold.

It's the fast food at meal time (while mostly sitting in a cruiser all day) that contributed to my weight gain, so now I bring my lunch from home. It's usually just a sandwich and Greek yogurt cup that I can eat in the car.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Ah, now that I know what LEO is... I'm not, but I do often need on the go snacks. I like individual cups of things (applesauce, fruit chunks, cottage cheese, yogurt). With the cool items, either take a small lunch kit with freezer packs in them to keep them cold, or eat them much earlier in the day. I have yet to find a protein bar I like, but those are a good option. Carrot and celery sticks. I take a lot of sandwiches. The individual tins of tuna that have some flavor to them are nice. Whole fruits are good and don't require refrigeration. There are lots of options. I hope you find something. Being on the go a lot and having an unpredictable eating schedule can certainly complicate things.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Protein bars
    Beef jerky
    Hard boiled eggs
    Cheese sticks
    Fresh fruit (apples, pears, etc.)
    Tuna packets
    Pre-cut vegetables (carrots, celery, etc.)
    Nuts or trail mix (be careful, a lot of these are very calorie-dense!)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    And now I know what a LEO is arent there different types of patrol? All of the above

Do we assume in a car? Can you take flasks of food?

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    . . . arent there different types of patrol?

The main patrol options would be: foot, car/SUV, motorcycle (full sized down to trail) horseback, Segway, plane & /or helicopter.
  • suented
    suented Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Retired LEO here,
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    suented wrote: »
    Retired LEO here,

Same here.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Not a LEO but a Leo (by birth) LOL

On the go snacks for me:
    -homemade almond butter cookies (very simple with 4 ingredients)
    -dark chocolate (85-90%)
    -babybel cheese
    -pork rinds (home seasoned and put in individual baggies)
    -unsalted nuts
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    . . . arent there different types of patrol?

The main patrol options would be: foot, car/SUV, motorcycle (full sized down to trail) horseback, Segway, plane & /or helicopter.

How about the bike?
    Not much to add to the snack lists, seems like a lot of good advice.
  • Lipstick_n_lunges
    Lipstick_n_lunges Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Leo <3
  • drbuzzard91
    drbuzzard91 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Through some preped meals in the patrol bag. My buddy found a service that cooks the meals for him and sends it to him ready to eat. I would do that if i was you. I never ate on patrol, if i did it was just some protein bars or an unhealthy amount of rockstar pina colada lol
  • motoveg
    motoveg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Corrections Officer here, I know for our perimeter patrols and travel orders, I like to snack on almonds, quest bars or the paleo lara bars.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am not a LEO, but I work for a police department.
    Night shift here, Step one: Bring my own food every day(make fast food not an option), I keep extra snacks(instant oatmeal, canned soups/chili) in my locker in the event of some mandatory overtime.
    Snacks on the go include almonds, bananas, sliced apples/pears, a small snack bag of roasted chickpeas, various types of jerky, boiled eggs, and protein bars.

I bring a TON of food with me every night just in case and I do not place a burden on myself to eat all of it in one night.
    I'm very proud to say that many of the commissioned officers I work with have watched my transformation and have taken their health to the next level by altering their diets.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Retired St. Louis Metro - great times!

Carrots, sunflower seeds and beef jerky were my go to. Anything else got too messy - especially if a hot call came in.
  • fishpeeinit
    fishpeeinit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was riding with my Lt one night and we decided to run through McD's and grab an ice cream cone. He got two. Ten seconds after they handed them to him and we were pulling out of the parking lot, a homicide came in. Those cones went flying. LOL!
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Retired LEO here. Best bet is to keep some snacks in your patrol bag or glove box. Small bags of nuts are good as well as granola bars or protein bars. I always looked for something under 200 calories that I could keep in the glove box for several months and not worry about it going bad (or melting). Jerky is also good.

Essentially you want to look for anything that won't melt in a hot car, is tasty and isn't too high in calories. I would rather eat two 100 calorie bags of pre-packaged nuts than one 300 calorie snack. I preferred the pre-packaged snacks over baggies of stuff because of storage issues.

After I retired I took a position that puts me on the road a lot. I still keep similar snacks in the glove box of the company car. I no longer get stuck directing traffic, or get called to work a crime scene right before lunch or quitting time but I do sometimes get stuck in traffic, or want to continue to drive on and not stop for a meal.