Foot numbness?

Options
So maybe it's just me and my weird body mechanics but as of late I've notice this irritating foot numbness in my left foot but not the right one, when ever i run or do the eliptical. It's super annoying and hard to just ignore, I had my shoes fitted through a running store (road runner in SD) so they're the right type for my foot, and I've switched my shoelaces a few different ways but sure enough it never fails. Just wondering if anyone might have the same annoying issues? Can it be just bad circulation?

Replies

• CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I get it too, on the elliptical I have to stop and shake my leg out for a few seconds and then move on.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for diabetes?
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    could be sciatic nerve, as well. you should get it checked out.
  • mcgwnkrista
    Options
    I've heard that shin splints can also cause numbness in your foot/toes, happens to me all the time and my shins usually hurt after a good run.
  • beckyann858
    beckyann858 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That was happening to me, too. I Googled it and it seems to be a pretty common issue. I found some tips suggesting you kind of roll your foot down from heel to toe with each step. So when I start feeling it go numb, I try that for a couple strides and it seems to help. Oddly enough, mine is only my left foot too! Mildly irritating, but I don't think dangerous, and certainly not enough to keep me off my much-beloved elliptical! :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I get it when I cycle, but not when I walk or run.
    I don't know why, but don't worry about it.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    do you ever move your foot's position while on the elliptical? I have to or my feet get all tingly...i just move them a teensy bit and that helps...I am one of those people that when they sit "Indian Style" on the floor, my feet go to sleep rather quickly..
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Foot numbness was an issue I had with the collapsing discs in my back. Before having the surgery I had both feet numb much of the time. If it continues, be sure to get it checked!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    It could just be that your shoe is too tight. When you run, your feet swell up. If your shoe isn't big enough it can cause some numbness. if your shoes aren't already, make sure they are 1/2-1 size bigger than your regular shoes.

Sometimes, it is also that the laces are too tight.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

Here are some lacing ideas that might be able to help you as well.
  • kelbel76
    kelbel76 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing when I'm on the elliptical, mainly in my toes. It sounds silly, but wiggling my toes around when it starts seems to help. I also will shift my weight more onto my heels and that helps as well.
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Yikes, no, i haven't, I never would have thought that could be an option :-/
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Yikes, no, i haven't, I never would have thought that could be an option :-/

Not that it couldn't be, but I would check the posts about your shoes and your positioning first, if it's just happening right now during your workouts.
  • Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    When I'm on the ellipitical I have noticed my left foot goes numb !! Usually if I curl the toes and move my foot around a little it will go away :)
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I also get the numb foot, left side. If it gets unbearable I stop for a second and walk around the room then climb back on. I would be more concerned about diabetes if it were occurring more than just on the machine.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Loosen your shoes.
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone!! Thanks for the tips and advice, I'll have to try out some exercising probably get it checked out sometime soon just to be safe!!
  • MarcieLynnPhoto
    Options
    Dude! I totally have this happen once in a while too! I was thinking I was weird. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this happens too. I was told it could be because I tie my shoes too tight (especially if they are new). I tried to loosen them up and it actually helped! Hope you figure yours out too! :)
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and it turns out I was tying my shoes too tight lol. Hopefully that is all it is for you as well.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Seriously. It happens because your feet swell. Loosen your shoes. It worked for me.
  • MightyMae1
    MightyMae1 Posts: 208
    Options
    I have the same issue on the elliptical, both feet. I don't think it's cause for concern, although I'm no doctor. I think it has to do with the fact that on the elliptical we're not following through on a natural stride, so your toes aren't really engaged and working the way they would if you were walking or running. I could be making stuff up though. LOL.