question regarding the calories added when you work out

Options
Good evening. I wanted to ask how come extra calories are given back to me when I exercise? If my daily goal is 1480 and I burned 500 calories from working out. How come it adds those calories to your daily goal? I like that but doesn't it defeat the 1480 goal?Thank you?

Replies

• smurfette54
    smurfette54 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So in a 24 hour period you burn X amount of calories doing your normal every day activities (for me it is around 1500-1600 and I know that after lots of experimenting, tracking, and my polar fitness tracker). So normal everyday activities for me is things such as showering, going to work (I teach school, and I actually don't move that much) some usual cleaning, cooking, chores etc... So MFP has me eating around 1300 calories to lose the weight that I want to lose. So that is about a 200 calorie deficit which would result in a 1lb weight loss in about 2-3 weeks (I don't need to lose much) Either way, if I add exercise to the mix then I burn more than 1500-1600 a day. Lets say burn 300 calories running that day. I can either eat 300 more calories and still be at a 200 calorie deficit, or I can choose not to eat the calories and be at a 500 calorie deficit for that day. I would then lose weight more quickly if I did not eat those extra calories. MFP is giving you the choice really. I usually choose to eat mine because I like food and eating 1300 calories a day for me is very hard. I just like to eat. So I hope this helps. It is up to you whether you stay at 1480 calories or eat an extra 500. That is the joy of working out. Not to mention all the health benefits it gives you. If you were curious I was once 180 lbs (5'0") and have lost over 60 lbs and maintained it for almost 10 years now. I have put on a few pounds here and there, and that is why i am on her. It keeps me on track when I stray. So I have lots of experience in what works and what doesn't. We are all different though, and it seems that calories in vs. calories out is the best way to lose weight.
  • pastorella2011
    pastorella2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Got it. Thank you sooo much!!! Great job on losing weight. So far I lost 4 lbs. Started last Tuesday. Since I had total hysterectomy my weight gain is too fast and I suffer from hyperthyroidism so it's not easy. Thank you again!