"runners toenail"

Options
I run 3-4 time per week along with other recreational activities. Just over a month ago, I ran my 5.5 mile loop. About half way through, I noticed my toe hurting...a lot. When I got home, I found my toe swollen and my nail completely black with a huge blister around the top of my toe, including under my nail.

I did the 5.5 mile loop again tonight and thought I had a rock in my shoe. When I took my shoes and socks off, I realized my toe nail was beginning to fall off. It is very sensitive and now it has a big blood blister under the nail. I guess you could say it's like lifting the hood of a car. It's really painful. What do I do??

Any advice??

Replies

• farfalledibaciodinotte
    farfalledibaciodinotte Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    in college marching band we called this "turf toe" basically it's just a blood blister, and it's normal, they lead to getting calluses.. :) just soak your feet in some ice water and it will reduce the inflamation, and swelling :)
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I work in an icu but previously in the ER and i'd have to say ive never heard of such a thing. you might want to consider going to an urgent care or similar and have them check it out. Don't want to risk getting a nasty infection from bacteria growing in it. heal up quick!
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Omgosh, I have NO advice, but I wish I could go back one minute in time and not read this post ... this sounds AWFUL.

That's it. I'm never running again. Not even to the bus stop.

Good luck with your toenail.
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would go to a podiatrist. They usually drill a hole in the nail to drain the blood underneath. That relieves the pressure and helps with the pain.

It sounds to me like your shoes do not properly fit. With proper shoes, you should not get a black toenail.
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    coolrunning.com has good info on injuries from running! Including the toe thing!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    It's actually pretty common with runners, and can usually be traced to either shoes or socks. Some people cannot wear cotton socks, or they get blisters and nail issues. Also, if you aren't wearing shoes specific to running, you're probably going to encounter issues like that, and maybe should head to a running store and get fitted for some shoes you only use for running. Pricey, but totally worth it.

Good luck!
  • ampott02
    ampott02 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Omgosh, I have NO advice, but I wish I could go back one minute in time and not read this post ... this sounds AWFUL.

That's it. I'm never running again. Not even to the bus stop.

Good luck with your toenail.

HAHAHA I laughed out loud at this post!

As for advice for the toe, I would definitely suggest taking some time off for it to heal, ice it to stop the inflammation, and elevate it if you can. Maybe even get it looked at, as you don't want an infection! Also if your current running shoes feel too small or fit weird, definitely get a new pair of shoes! I've been running for forever and I've never had this happen....only getting like cracked looking toenail at the end of it.... Good luck! :)
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    lol I laughed out loud too, that was awesome.
  • Tams_20
    Tams_20 Posts: 2
    Options
    This has happened to me before due to ill-fitting running shoes. Most importantly - DO NOT PULL IT OFF!!! (Sorry to yell, but I really want to spare you the pain) Try to let the nail fall off naturally. And I know this sounds crazy, but duct tape works wonders.
  • AdGalicia
    AdGalicia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    OMGeeee, this happens to me all the time...not the blister thing but the bruised toe for sure. My second toe is the longest one on my foot so it constantly hits the tip of my shoe and then it'll get bruised and then it'll fall off. I swear, I cannot even count how many times this has happened to me, it is just so common for me lol!! On both feet too...lol!!! During my lifetime it's probably happened at least 15 times, and I am afraid that I bruised it again last week so I was gonna wait and see if it was gonna fall off!!

Your blister must be painful, definitely put triple antibiotic on it and keep it clean!! Take aspirin for pain and ice it for swelling!!
  • MaryTuttle
    MaryTuttle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    lost a few toe nails myself. Relieve the pressure by drilling a hole in the nail. Sounds way to gross, I know. I didn't get to that point the nail just sort of lifted during a long run. BUT... you may have to check your shoes to avoid this from happening again. they are either too small ( need at least a thumbs width from the longest toe to tip of shoe) some folks need to go up a 1/2 size. If you have that thumbs width, then you need to lace your shoes differently so that your feet do not slide up into your shoes as you run. Mean while, get or make yourself a shirt "toenails are for sissies" that will help you feel better. It did me. :wink:
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I was running one day and when I came home and took off my running clothes and sock, I noticed that 3 of my toenails were hanging off. I went to the ER. I figured most people don't lose their toenails, and certainly not 3 at once. I thought I had an infection. Well the doctor told me that it was normal. I told him I run about 4 - 5 miles a day and have for a year now. He said runners have this problem all the time. You will lose your toenails, then they will grow back, then you will lose them again. As long as you run, this is the predicament. So, I just sort of deal with it. My toes are ugly, but I wear close toed shoes. I would rather have no toenals and run and be healthy, than have pretty toenails and not be able to run.

He said this usually only applies to avid runners. Casual runners don't usually have this problem.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It's very common among runners and isn't at all serious. As others have said, stick it back in place with sticking plaster to protect the tip of your toe until it's ready to come off. Another will grow back in its place in time.

Then go get fitted for new shoes! Your toes should not be hitting the end of your shoes. You may need to go up a size - I'm a size bigger in running shoes than other shoes.

Also running can make your feet bigger - no joke! The bones spread out a bit from the repeated impact.

In the meantime, I'm afraid sandals are out this summer :wink:
  • Grieseam
    Grieseam Posts: 4
    Options
    UPDATE:

Still not better today, but I STILL HAVE MY NAIL, HA! Very sore today.

I have gotten my shoes fitted many times by running professionals. I have also talked to many other runners and some people just have bad feet I guess. I am just one of them, ugh!

I am also a pretty avid runner, running 10Ks and half marathons, but have bad joints too so I have to mix in other activities (biking/rollerblading, ect)

Thanks for all the advise!