Not sure what to count as exercise....

Options
So, I'm pretty new to this site and I have a question...

I sleep ALOT, but I'm also fairly active during the day. I forage for leaves and berries, chase other bears away from my favorite back-scratching tree and roll around with my mate and my cub. So, I put my daily activity as sedentary since I sleep most of the day. However, when I'm running, I'm pretty fast. I can run up to 35 mph for short spurts. Plus, I also stand by the stream and catch salmon...that's not as easy as it sounds.

So, here's my question: should I count my running and fishing as exercise or change my daily activity from sedentary to something else? Right now, I only log exercise when I'm running or swimming for the heck of it. If it's part of my hunting, fishing or foraging, I figure it's part of daily living. Please help me figure this out!!!

Replies

• Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    someone told me if you're moving it's exercise... I put in cleaning, food prep, etc but I don't think I burn as many calories as the data base gives for these activities
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Which bear is best?
  • mrtentaclenun
    mrtentaclenun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Lmao I love this :)
  • jenannroberts
    Options
    My theory is, if you sweat while doing it then you can count it as exercise.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Mr.Bear anything above and beyond your typical daily activities and done with purpose is exercising. so you are on the right track.
  • futbolkt21
    futbolkt21 Posts: 57
    Options
    I only count what I do aside from the usual.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you're really a bear, I hope you're using this site to pack on the pounds, not drop em. Summer won't last forever, you know. You really should be planning ahead...:tongue:
  • onlyrobey1
    onlyrobey1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I also put in cleaning, mowing the lawn etc. But other then actual time spent at the gym, walking the dogs, or doing an at home video, that's the only things I will log as exercise.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am amused.
  • onlyrobey1
    onlyrobey1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Good theory. :)
  • vpsmith14
    vpsmith14 Posts: 71
    Options
    lol, did you take into account stuffing yourself with enough food so you can sleep for months at a time? I wonder how you would log that?

tricia
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If you usually spend all day moving (cleaning, etc) change your lifestyle from sedentary. In my opinion exercise is not the normal day to day activities. If it isn't intentionally done to burn calories or build muscle it isn't exercise.
  • sweetseraph7
    Options

Good theory. :)

I agree!
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am so sending you a friend request ~ gotta see where this goes! Thanks for the laugh ~ watching TMZ tonite on FOX 4 wasn't cutting it!!!!
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The real question is whether or not you're going to eat the calories back, dear Bear. Because that could be a lot of *&^%ing berries.
  • OlenaS
    OlenaS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I have similar questions (whether to log smth as exercise or not), I think - have I been doing this pretty often and still gained weight (before starting on here I mean)? And if it is a yes, then I do not log it.... Normally I walk some during the day, I would say more than average person, but I have done so for a long time, and still gained weight, so now I only log extra walks, etc... For example, I walk my dog some every day... but I have always done it... so I do not log those walks, I only log special longer weekend walks, etc)
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Best thread I've seen yet!
  • PatientBear
    Options
    Thank you for all the compliments and advice and friend requests. You are nice people. I probably won't eat any of you as long as you don't scare my cub.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    um....what about water aerobics? this has to count and there is NO sweating involved:laugh:

best wishes to all:flowerforyou:
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    would have to say I agree,,,,I NEVER "count" daily activities on MFP:glasses: