Foot numbness?

Options
2»

Replies

• Willowalker
    Options
    I just started using an elliptical just last month and have quickly worked up to an hour workout, and have the exact same thing. NUMBNESS in the left foot. I have found that changing the placement of my feet on the pedals throughout the work helps tremendously. Sometimes, I move to the back, the sides, the front, but I change the placement of both feet every 10 or 15 minutes.

I also think there may be something to the tightness of the shoes, because I had broken my big toe years ago, and it healed a bit crooked at the knuckle joint - given this foot a wider footprint. Do you perhaps have a slight bunion or old injury to your left foot that may cause your shoes to fit a bit tighter? I'm going to try loosening up the left shoe and see if it helps - but the shifting and change placement of my feet does help. Good luck to you!
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Seriously. It happens because your feet swell. Loosen your shoes. It worked for me.

I've tried running with loosened shoelaces..no luck :(
  • cgcortezrn
    cgcortezrn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem for years. It feels like my foot goes numb from the ball of my foot across to just below my 2nd, 3rd and 4th toe. As long as I don't wt bear for a long period of time I have no problem. It doesn't bother me when I walk, just on the exercise machines where my feet stay in the same position for a long period of time. Hence, Wt bear, pressure point. Once you let up from pressing on the pad of your foot and maybe even rub your toes the feeling begins to come back and the pain is gone. I have it so bad I am unable to wear shoes with much or a heel. It seems to affect one foot more than the other for some reason. It is very frustrating because just as I begin to crank out a great workout on the elliptical my darn foot goes numb and hurts like hell!! At least when I bike ride I can adjust my foot on the pedal a time or two for temporary comfort but kind of hard on the elliptical. I have yet to have the surgery to remove the neuroma cause I have heard it may come back.

Morton's Neuroma ( neuritis of the digital nerve. )

The symptoms include pain centered around the fourth metatarsophalangeal joint and in the third intermetatarsal space. Pain is exacerbated by weight bearing and in some cases is steadily progressive. Structural metatarsalgia is experienced almost exclusively during weight bearing and is relieved by rest.

Symptoms of Neuroma of the Foot

The symptoms are a burning, tingling, numbing, and/or pins-and-needles sensation.

Neuroma (Mortons Neuroma)

Introduction to Neuroma

The term neuroma refers to a swelling of a nerve. The nerve commonly affected is a small nerve that connects the 3rd and 4th toes, counting from the big toe. The patient will complain of pain in the sole of the foot.

Symptoms of Neuroma

•Begins with numbness or tenderness in the foot, just behind the 3rd and 4th toes
    •At a later stage, pain, numbness, burning and tingling sensations can radiate around the foot.
    •The symptoms may appear and disappear spontaneously.
    •Severe pain may be present at weight bearing areas of the foot.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for diabetes?

Yikes, no, i haven't, I never would have thought that could be an option :-/

Not that it couldn't be, but I would check the posts about your shoes and your positioning first, if it's just happening right now during your workouts.

But if it is diabetes and she loses a foot, then she doesn't have to wory about shoes does she?
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,043 Member
    Options
    I had been using an elliptical for years without any problems. Now, because of foot structure problems, my feet do sometimes get slightly numb. I see a lot of people at the gym riding the machine wrong. You have to put more of your weight in your heels and quads, not your toes. You can roll your weight from heel to toe also. You shouldn't lean forward, your back needs to be straight and your shoulders should be relaxed, abs in tight. Heels and hips need to be aligned, like when you do squats. Also don't grip the handles higher than your shoulders, it's not a nordic track ski machine. Grip the handles loosely. Depending on the brand of machine you're on, your motion should be gliding or a long pedaling stride. Socks should not be tight on your toes, shoes should be roomy, not snug and not tight, that goes for the strings too. Crosstrainers are great for the elliptical, especially brands with a broad toe box. I'm not an expert, I just love the elliptical and have been riding one for over 10 years.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for diabetes?

Yikes, no, i haven't, I never would have thought that could be an option :-/

Not that it couldn't be, but I would check the posts about your shoes and your positioning first, if it's just happening right now during your workouts.

But if it is diabetes and she loses a foot, then she doesn't have to wory about shoes does she?

When you have diabetes, it usually doesn't just wait for exercise, smartypants.

Not that the OP can't get test tested. I did tell her that maybe she should be checking simpler means for her next couple workouts before she gets and pays for a full panel of bloodwork.