Meals or snacks that taste good or that are healthy that worked for you or things u did to see resul

Options
Ok I haven't been counting calories but I feel like I've been watching what Ive been eating really good for the past almost 2 months but haven't seen any results the only thing I have became stronger in controling my craving for fast food and sweets .. for about 3 weeks I started off eating healthy cereal for breakfast with almond milk and then beans and little cheese with eggs for lunch and dinner .. and I lost 3 pounds then I got tired of it so I eat those Greek yogurt with the mix side that comes with it for breakfast and then I eat that before I go to bed and I eat bowl of beans and a little cheese for dinner at work and this is actually good because I like beans and then for lunch I've been a having a small bowl of basil tomatoe soup and peice of chicken .. it's i fried its already made chicken at grocery store ..even tho I'm not seeing results I gained 3 pounds back.. I really have been trying harder then I've have in past even if I go out to eat I've been trying to eat less then rest of day or splitting what I order through out the day instead of eating the whole meal at restaurant .. I also started drinking green tea from bags at work and no soda .. once a while I'll order Diet Coke but that's very rare .. I was little upset I gained 3 pounds back tho .. I'm thinking of walking on treadmill .. I know my eating hasn't been super healthy but I've been really watching my portions can anyone suggest anything they ate to lose weight or snack or quick meals .. I don't want to be too obsessive with counting calories

Replies

• jlsjenni1992
    jlsjenni1992 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also am 24 years old female who is 5'3 and 163 pounds
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things I did as before, just in smaller quantities.

I know you feel like counting calories may be an issues, but maybe try it out for a couple weeks so you can get a proper grip on serving sizes?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but there nothing you can eat to lose weight. You can only eat less than you burn.

I count calories but not obsessively - I don't weigh my food on a scale (YET). I hope to never have to but truth is we always underestimate just how much we are eating.

Can you try those food portion containers? Or that "tip" that a serving is the size of your palm? idk
  • btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think that you can start counting calories without being obsessive. For instance maybe just logging what you eat for a couple days to see how many calories you are taking in. It can be very Eye opening. Before starting my journey I had no idea how many carbs and sugar I was eating. So by seeing that I knew where I needed to cut back. Things I eat a lot of is eggs, chicken, brown rice, veggies, protein powder. I throw beef and turkey in there and fish once in awhile. Lots of water and fruit wise I try to stick to berries and apples when I eat them.
  • jlsjenni1992
    Options
    That's good idea about portion control containers .. I'll look into that I use pretty small ball for soup .. I've been eating but I look into the other containers thank u
  • jlsjenni1992
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thank u guys .. I was counting calories in the beginning but I wasn't eating healthy but it did make my appetite smaller because I was eating less food but I didn't see any results because I was eating allot of food high in salt I think I might try making omelets that sounds like good meal .. thank u guys for helping me
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The problem is in the first sentence. You're not tracking your calories. Eating "healthy" is great, but there's literally no other way to lose weight than to eat fewer calories than you burn, no matter what those form those calories come in.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The problem is in the first sentence. You're not tracking your calories. Eating "healthy" is great, but there's literally no other way to lose weight than to eat fewer calories than you burn, no matter what those form those calories come in.

That. Dont complain about not seeing results without putting in the most necessary step. Obviously not counting isnt working for you.
  • jlsjenni1992
    Options
    Ok I'm going to start counting again thank u for the advice
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    As the others have said you just need to eat less than you burn - calorie counting works well but isn't the only way to achieve this. It is however a great educational tool and I would suggest weighing and counting for 2-4 weeks until you learn how many calories are in different foods and what a proper portion size is for you.

As a general comment, I would suggest eating more veggies to help bulk out your meals and feel fuller. Base all your meals around lean protein, veggies, a little healthy fat and a small portion of carbs. This is a good visual guide to portion control that will tell you roughly how to structure your meals

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/calorie-control-guide-infographic
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is what is going to tell you what to watch for. Peanut butter is a real eye-opener. I tried various combinations at meals and I found that I did better with a large-ish breakfast, small (100 cal) snacks morning and afternoon, soup or salad for lunch, and the remaining calories for dinner.

Soups and salads don't have a lot of calories.

It's no use to skimp at all meals because then you aren't getting enough to sustain you. I also make sure to get enough protein in every meal. That might mean eggs or Greek Yogurt added to my breakfast.

I still eat peanut butter but I watch my portions carefully.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on "eating healthy" because that usually means starving yourself on green tea, kale, and lemon water then gaining it all back when you can't last the distance, as you've just proven.

I lost 80lbs in 12 months by eating whatever satisfied me within my calorie limit.

Some days that was seafood and veg, other days it was pizza. Most days included chocolate and alcohol... all in moderation.

I've now maintained my goal weight since April by doing the same thing. I also earned more calories to eat by exercising more.

You get to eat more when you exercise because My Fitness Pal's base calorie limit is already set according to your weight loss goal (lose weight or maintain weight, etc).

My Fitness Pal makes calorie counting easy. It's a good idea to also read the Helpful Posts that are the first posts in these topics:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

Best wishes!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,988 Member
    Options
    I still eat sweets and fast foods. But I count my calories and eat amounts that fit my goals. It is possible to lose without counting calories, but you still have to be eating at a deficit. It doesn't really matter what you eat. If you aren't willing to count calories then the only way you will know if you are at a deficit or not will be if you lose weight. If you are not losing you are not eating at a deficit.
  • jlsjenni1992
    Options
    Ok I kind of added up everything I eat and I was over a little bit what I wanted even tho I felt like Ive been eating pretty good I'm going to leave some things the same but instead of chicken I'm thinking of having eggs with my soup instead of the chicken because the chicken isn't cooked that great and it from grocery store so I can only guess the amount of calories and then I could have egg wrap for lunch if I don't want soup and watch what I eat in the days I don't eat home .. I think it will workout I'm just going to make few adjustments to make sure I'm under my calorie amount and I chose to do the 1560 calories week it will be slow but more attainable for me but if I get bored with my food routine I guess I can think of new routine to eat right now I'm fine eating the same things for a while because I have few days I go out eat with friends thanks for advice everybody that balances it out I don't care if it takes long time as it actually works eventually
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me, the most useful thing I did was following my cravings to plan my meals, but look for lower calorie alternatives... Like I'd make a homemade burger with a 85% or 90% 4oz patty at home instead of buying a 900 calorie burger at a restaurant, and I'd just roast French fries at home with a bit of olive oil instead of frying them etc.

Or if you crave a cookie, sometimes a 140 calorie Fiber One granolar bar is just as satisfying and will be more filling (although sometimes yeah you just want the cookie!).

Skinnytaste.com is a great website for lower calorie recipes (although it doesn't really work with desserts IMO).

But if I really want the real thing, I just eat it, and just adjust the rest of my meals to make it fit.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I exercise 6 days a week, weigh everything I eat, drink water or one diet soda a day, log my activity and food, and (most importantly) take in fewer calories than I burn.

If you want to lose weight, you have to be committed to doing all that entails. When I slack off, I gain. No magical weight loss foods, just less than I was eating.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You don't need to log your food consistently, but you MUST know approximately how many calories what you typically eat amounts to. You then need to see how many calories you should be consuming to maintain your weight. Once you know this...you need to try and get the amount of calories consumed under your maintenance. Again, you don't have to log, but you have to know initially what your food amounts to..otherwise you are just guessing and that doesn't usually work when you are starting out.
  • jlsjenni1992
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning before I ate and I went down from 163 to 161 pounds it made me feel a little better I think for few days because of thanksgiving and left overs it might of hurt me more then what I thought it would or I was weighing myself a little to late in day I'm going to make few adjustments start working out more on my 2 days off during the week and changing out some of my food and walking more .. thanks everybody for help ..
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning before I ate and I went down from 163 to 161 pounds it made me feel a little better I think for few days because of thanksgiving and left overs it might of hurt me more then what I thought it would or I was weighing myself a little to late in day I'm going to make few adjustments start working out more on my 2 days off during the week and changing out some of my food and walking more .. thanks everybody for help ..

You should weigh yourself at the same time every day. Preferably first thing in the morning, no clothes after using the bathroom. Don't compare this weight to your weight later in the day - if fluctuates greatly and the food and liquid you consume has mass.
  • jlsjenni1992
    Options
    Thanks I'll do that