First Bulking Period for a Beginner

Options
I've recently started working out 3 months ago. I'm 20 years old, 5'8, and weighs 170lbs at this moment. I started at a weight of 163lbs 3 months ago when I first started lifting. I don't know what my body fat was when I first started. When I though I was bulking, I actually wasn't. I recently just started tracking the amount of calories I eat, and not just protein, did I realize that in the past 3 months, I've been eating at a caloric maintenance (deficit on some days). However, I think it's important to note that I was eating as clean as possible during that supposed bulking phase. I gained 7lbs during these 3 months. I know there's fat involved in those 7lbs.

Recently, I did a tape measurement last night to check my body fat percentage. I put in the numbers online and got a result 15.2%. I'm assuming this number is off but I'm using it as a reference. I'm probably higher.

I've posted a before and after photo below. The after photo was taken a week ago before I went on a caloric surplus this past week.

My question is, how long should my bulking period be before I cut (or do a mini-cut)? im16utq6a3en.jpg

Replies

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The bodybuilding maxim: Bulk until you're tired of being fat; cut until you're tired of being weak.

The truth is that there's no need to gain more than 10-15 pounds when bulking. Lots of people use it as an excuse to get fat, when that's really unnecessary.

Honestly, it doesn't look like you need to bulk at all. You just need to stick with compound exercises, eat your protein, take creatine, and you'll look great in no time.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    As your weight grows the ratio of fat to muscle will also grow. So if your weight is getting a little out of hand, it can be a reasonably a good idea to reel it in with a mini cut.

Keep in mind eating "clean" and "clean bulk" are two different animals.

One doesn't have to eat "clean" to have minimal fat gains, it all about "clean bulk" for that.

A "clean" bulk is one where you eat any food you preferr while hitting your macros but maintaining a small surplus.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    2 things to point out: firstly you are higher than 15% (as you alluded to) and secondly you shouldn't bulk anymore. You are probably at the uppermost limit of where you should be bulking. When your bodyfat gets higher, your body is not at its most optimal for gaining muscle mass.

I would honestly cut down with a small deficit and keep lifting until you are lean and then consider a small bulk.
  • mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yeah dude, you look like you are closer to ~20% plus.
    I am 5'11 and 20 years old. But I weight considerably less than you, 151lbs and just recently I am approaching 12-13% body fat
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Stop bulking and cut.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Stop bulking and cut.

I would agree with this, too.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see you do a cut. You look great! I can see all the muscle gains in the picture.

I'm doing a mini cut in January after Christmas. I only need to lose a couple of pounds bc I have been bulking very conservatively. 6 lbs now since June; I'm doing a long slow bulk tho bc I hate dieting.