Being a Marathoner

Options
I have been dieting and excersize for nearly a month and lost ten pounds and really PLUMMETED my bad cholesterol (all for the sake of my four month old); now I want to cross something out from my bucket list...RUNNING IN A MARATHON.

My biggest obstacle so far aside from weight isy concurring Asthma; anyone have tips for me as I continue to push towards that goal?

Replies

• GoHawaiian210
    GoHawaiian210 Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    *is my...pardon the typos.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Start slow and gradually build your way up. Consistency is key. Land on the front of your foot. Give your body time to adjust. Break into a walk when you feel the need and start running again when you can. You may want to try an elevation mask to help strengthen your respiratory system. Remember to bring your inhaler, just in case.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @GoHawaiian210 Any athletic endeavour requires a slow build up - progression for success.
    C25K which leads to 5 km race events.
    Then B10K = 10 km events.
    Half Marathon training and a few HM's. Find a program that suits your goals - fitness and adjust it to your schedule and the event day. Personal recommendation is at least a 12 week program plus a week extra for Crap Happens Google Search
    Then you can start on Marathon training. Like HM Find a program and go.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @GoHawaiian210 Any athletic endeavour requires a slow build up - progression for success.
    Half Marathon training and a few HM's. Find a program that suits your goals - fitness and adjust it to your schedule and the event day. Personal recommendation is at least a 12 week program plus a week extra for Crap Happens Google Search

^^^ Agreed.

Running 26.2 miles is a pretty big deal, even for people without asthma. Take your time building up to it, if done right it can be a very rewarding and fun journey.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Also agree. Depending on where you are in your running journey, this will probably take a year or even longer to work up to safely. With distance running, patience is key. Trying to do too much too soon will only result in injury. Good luck!
  • GoHawaiian210
    GoHawaiian210 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and encouragement, all; I'll continue with my diet and practice my mind and body to take on the marathons!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Try starting with shorter races. Start with the Couch to 5k program and then run a 5k. Move on to train for a 10k and then later run a half marathon. Then focus on the marathon. This way you will get practice running races, have something to keep you motivated, and help you build up gradually to be able to run 26.2 miles.

Good luck.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who run marathons regularly who have asthma. One has done more than 20 in the past few years. The trick seems to be to keep the pace slow. If you do attempt 5ks or 10ks before your marathon, don't run them all out. Also pick your marathon carefully - not someplace windy or humid. You might want to do a Jeff Galloway walk/run plan. Work with your doctor to get your medication to work best for you.

If you have just started running, give it at least a year before you attempt to start training for a marathon. Doing too much too soon gets you injured. But a slow gradual buildup of miles will get you ready to start the training to get you safely to the start line.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Build up to it. You're talking at 18 months of consistent training to get there if you want to have an enjoyable, injury free experience.

I'd recommend Couch to 5K initially, which will give you an appreciation for whether you'll enjoy running in the first place.

Personally I did a number of half marathons before stepping up to marathon distance.
  • emawbey
    emawbey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and have found running really helps alleviate the symptoms, I would echo others comments on starting slow and also be aware that your running will be affected by air temperature, pollen pollution etc, so don't be concerned if you have quite variable performance. Add me as a friend if you want to chat more about running and asthma
  • meredithdelcastillo
    Options
    I have asthma as well and since I started running and becoming active it hardly noticeable. I would suggest what everyone else has already said but make sure you focus on controlling your breathing. It's important for runners with asthma that you get the right breathing pattern down when running. Keep at it and goodluck.