Winter appetite changes making things difficult

Options
2»

Replies

• MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I want all things warm and melty right now, and for some reason, cake. Someone brought in a homemade crumble cake with apples in it today, and I want all of the cake. All of it.
    I always have a huge struggle in winter with food. I tend to hibernate in the house and exercise less, and eat more. I kind of have to force myself out of this mode. I'm sure some of it is biological, some is winter blues, and some is that I like to eat. I'm in for seeing the ideas here as well, and I like the suggestions of soup and roasted veggies. I might be including a warm melty grilled cheese, though...
    A slice of grilled halloumi goes with all soups, just to up the protein you understand
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of hardy soups and stews in the winter...my biggest problem in winter isn't the food, it's the fact that I just move less. In the warmer months I tend to just be out and about doing stuff on top of my regular exercise...in winter I'm more likely to go to a movie or sit on the couch and watch the game with a roaring fire going.

I did get an indoor cycle trainer this year, so I think that's going to help...I'm a fare weather cyclists and my riding always falls off a bit in the winter as well...but not this year.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I do many of the same things others have said. Lots of soup, stews, chili, stir fry, etc. that I can put veggies in and eat them cooked. I try to cook mostly in season so during the winter we naturally eat less fresh stuff in our home. I freeze lots of garden veggies during the summer for use during the winter. Warm, low calorie drinks for the cold days/nights, etc. I'm more of the opinion to change your eating habits to whatever your body is asking for during the different seasons then to force yourself to eat/drink things you don't want during a particular season. But absolutely, I notice an appetite shift during the winter.
  • bcknudtson
    bcknudtson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I smash salads all summer long because they sound so cooling and refreshing, but can't even choke them down come cold weather.

I do a lot of meal prep, so I usually roast a huge pan of veggies with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil on Sunday and eat them all week long. The texture and flavor profile is so different but the nutrients are still there!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Roasted veg is a great idea, will get onto that one soon.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I want all things warm and melty right now,... and I like the suggestions of soup and roasted veggies. I might be including a warm melty grilled cheese, though...

Try this:

One 28 oz can Muir Glen Fire Roasted diced tomatoes
    One 15 oz jar roasted red peppers
    One large onion, diced
    One clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    One tsp fresh of 1/2 tsp dried basil

Saute onions in olive oil until golden. Add garlic and heat thru. Place the sauteed onions in a blender and add all other ingredients; blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a pot and heat thru.

Make grilled cheese sandwiches per your usual method, using preferred bread and cheese(s). While sandwich(es) is still hot, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and toss on soup as croutons.

The soup is only 45 to 50 calories per cup, the way I made it above.

Yum!

Hope you try it and like it...!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I wondered if anyone else struggled with changes in appetite during the winter? I don't just mean Christmas treats being everywhere (though that's challenging, too). I mean changes like:

- Wanting more fat. Everything with fat in it looks REALLY good right now.
    - Resistance to fruit and veg. Generally I rely a lot on cold options like raw fruit and raw salad veg, just because I like them more and can't be bothered heating up a bowl of peas, but I really don't want them right now. This is partly because I have sensitive teeth, so eating very cold stuff is unpleasant. But also, I'm just feeling cold a lot (I think the weight loss is making this worse!) and the idea of eating a cold apple rarely appeals.
    - more difficulty with portions. I seem to be kicking at the traces a lot when it comes to portion control, wanting seconds, wanting more of everything.

Does anyone else feel like this when the weather gets colder? If so, any tips? I'm thinking I should start having cooked apple etc more often to overcome the fruit and veg resistance. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is getting more active to free up more calories.

I think winter has an impact. I usually get a mild touch of SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Losing the sunlight along with my Vitamin D deficiency makes it a bit harder. I haven't noticed the change in appetite, but I think it could be related to the fact that the dreary winter can impact a person's mood, which in turn makes them want to eat more for comfort.

I've read a couple of threads on this. So, you are not alone. Hang in there. :)
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    This time of year I get to reap lovely fall veggies from the garden, supplemented by the local co-op. Almost daily, there is a pot of greens or a big soup on stove and a pan of something roasting in the oven. I love to mix chunks of yam, apple, golden beets, rutabaga, elephant garlic, Brussels, etc. A drizzle of avocado oil and a sprinkle of salt, a big pan, a hot oven, and I have comfort food!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Winter is a yang season...cold and dark...our bodies want warm, dark, rich foods for their caloric value...most animals take on extra calories in autumn to build reserves for the coming winter, especially if they hibernate!...In times past, we packed in all the calories we could when they were available, and starved and leaned out over the winter until the herd animals returned and the plants bloomed again. What do you think the winter holiday feasting is all about? Just go with it...rejoice in being an earthling!

Tell me about it! I nearly put my back out picking up my neighbour's cat to give him a cuddle.

As I look out of my window right now, it's snowing (the joys of living in New England) and there is no way on earth I will be satisfied with a salad. I do what other people have suggested, which is use my slow cooker for chilli and stews. And rather then steam my veg, I will roast them. Any leftovers get whizzed up in the blender for soup.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have the same issues. During the winter I tend to want heartier fare and also have the same resistance to eating cold salads.

The advantage with the summer stuff is that it's easier for me to find things that are lower in calories but offer some bulk. And they require less or no cooking.

It's not that I can't do that with winter produce and heartier foods, it's just it's a little harder.
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread and am enjoying reading all of the suggestions here. I've ALWAYS gained weight in the winter, and for most of my life then very easily lost it all come spring. Since about mid-novemeber I've had major cravings for anything salty, sweet, and or greasy and I feel hungry all the time even though I know by my calorie tracking that I really am eating enough. Finally made the decision that since I usually gain weight in the winter and trying to continue loss right now is driving me absolutely insane from hunger to just track well and maintain for a month. It seems like the best compromise to being able to eat a little more with out completely getting off track from my goals.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I want all things warm and melty right now,... and I like the suggestions of soup and roasted veggies. I might be including a warm melty grilled cheese, though...

Try this:

One 28 oz can Muir Glen Fire Roasted diced tomatoes
    One 15 oz jar roasted red peppers
    One large onion, diced
    One clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    One tsp fresh of 1/2 tsp dried basil

Saute onions in olive oil until golden. Add garlic and heat thru. Place the sauteed onions in a blender and add all other ingredients; blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a pot and heat thru.

Make grilled cheese sandwiches per your usual method, using preferred bread and cheese(s). While sandwich(es) is still hot, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and toss on soup as croutons.

The soup is only 45 to 50 calories per cup, the way I made it above.

Yum!

Hope you try it and like it...!

That sounds amazing! I will try this and report back...thank you!
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Ive been craving more warm comfort foods. I try to stay hydrated with yummy warm drinks, Tea mostly and the occasional hot chocolate (theres low calorie ones it surprised me)
    As for the veggies yeah iv actually been struggling with that myself. I really do just want the bad foods in large quantities. We just gota get through it and substitute where we can to keep it in our calories. Personally i have been blaming how stupid cold it is out when i do my walking for exercise, Mixed with a bit less walking when its snowy just throwing my appetite off.

Actually almost had my first binge in 7 months last night im lucky i got by just a few hundred calories over.

Low carb hot chocolate is not my cup of tea.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Ive been craving more warm comfort foods. I try to stay hydrated with yummy warm drinks, Tea mostly and the occasional hot chocolate (theres low calorie ones it surprised me)
    As for the veggies yeah iv actually been struggling with that myself. I really do just want the bad foods in large quantities. We just gota get through it and substitute where we can to keep it in our calories. Personally i have been blaming how stupid cold it is out when i do my walking for exercise, Mixed with a bit less walking when its snowy just throwing my appetite off.

Actually almost had my first binge in 7 months last night im lucky i got by just a few hundred calories over.

Low carb hot chocolate is not my cup of tea.

9bhhmhdquuii.jpg
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    My diet completely changes in winter. Breakfast sandwiches out, oatmeal in. Salads out, huge bowls of chunky veggie soups in. Plain cold water out the window, LITERS of hot tea in all sorts of flavors in, along with the occasional hot chocolate. I don't find myself hungrier, but then again, I live in Saudi Arabia and it's not THAT cold (about 12 C most mornings right now). I'm a bit of a wimp though, being used to desert temperatures... So all the hot things please!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    others have said the same but.......
    1. hot tea is saving my life this winter
    2. oatmeal instead of yogurt for breakfast (Oatfit is delicious and 100 calories)
    3. soup or lean cuisine rather than salad for lunch with fruit
    4. roasted veggies + baked sweet potato with lean meat for dinner

Same calories as summer menu, but a bit heartier. And yes, can't wait to be done with holiday sweets!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I actually love winter foods like soups and hot tea. Squash, pumpkin and seed assortments are delicious. My struggle with the cold (and dark) months are getting to the gym. My strict 6x lift regimen gets shortened to 4-5x week when Christmas rolls around due to spending time with family and celebrating 4 December birthdays with friends.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I mostly want more hot food, so soup and toast or grilled cheese for lunch, or eggs, plus stews and chili for dinner. Oatmeal is eaten a lot more often and hot chocolate when we come in from walking the dog before bed.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    All this talk of soups and melty cheesey goodness makes me want French onion soup.

Must work that into the rotation soon....
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm considering buying one of the Thermos kids' food flasks to take to work for my lunch - is 290ml, just a little smaller than a tin of soup. I think that might make life easier. There's a lot of winter still to come!