Snacking issues

Options
Ok so I have been real good with my diet until recently and I'm not sure what to do - long story short - got to one goal gained some back from Jan til now I'm down about 30 lbs - looking to lose a little more -I excercise, strength training etc - after dinner I really don't think I'm hungry but I start looking around in cabinets and eating - cashews , a little dark chocolate , cheerios , then I can't stop and a few times it has turned into a complete food binge but that hasn't happened in a while thankfully -my diet is limited due to IBS - so im no gluten , dairy or even fruit ( the sugar ) I basically eat egg whites ( have to limit the yolks too) chicken, fish gluten free oats , only certain veggies - kale spinach mushrooms potatoes wild rice - that should be more than enough !!!!! I'm at 1200 calories would like to lose 15 more lbs then maintain and keep toning - any suggestions to stop these unecessary food cravings and eating ???

Replies

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    that happens to me sometimes. for me its finding that one thing that satisfies me or else i have to stay out of kitchen
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    that happens to me sometimes. for me its finding that one thing that satisfies me or else i have to stay out of kitchen

Exactly!!!! I need a door and a lock for my kitchen !!!
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Cliche advice (because I have the same problem) but you have to distract yourself. I'm a hobby queen, I paint, sew, crochet, embroider...all of it. So that's how I kick the cravings, occupy my down time. If you're engrossed in a task you'll be less likely to eat. Also, bonus cliche, I drink buckets of water when I'm craving food I don't need. When I don't drink water a lot of the time I cave and eat. Only downside is I have to pass through the kitchen to get to the bathroom :(
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'm a horrible snacker, so one of the things I did to help me - was if I bought anything like that (chocolate/chips) - I immediately took the big bag and divided it up into the individual serving sizes and then got rid of the big bag - so there was never just a huge bag for mindless snacking

you may also been eating under your needed calories for the day (not sure if you are eating back workout calories or not) - because I find when I hit my recommended ones i'm not hungry at all - as long as i'm hitting my calories and macros
  • emd2570
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    Cliche advice (because I have the same problem) but you have to distract yourself. I'm a hobby queen, I paint, sew, crochet, embroider...all of it. So that's how I kick the cravings, occupy my down time. If you're engrossed in a task you'll be less likely to eat. Also, bonus cliche, I drink buckets of water when I'm craving food I don't need. When I don't drink water a lot of the time I cave and eat. Only downside is I have to pass through the kitchen to get to the bathroom :(

Very true when I'm busy I'm pre occupied -
  • emd2570
    Options
    i'm a horrible snacker, so one of the things I did to help me - was if I bought anything like that (chocolate/chips) - I immediately took the big bag and divided it up into the individual serving sizes and then got rid of the big bag - so there was never just a huge bag for mindless snacking

you may also been eating under your needed calories for the day (not sure if you are eating back workout calories or not) - because I find when I hit my recommended ones i'm not hungry at all - as long as i'm hitting my calories and macros

According to mfp I shld be eating 1200 calories - I am at that amount - I don't eat my exercise calories - right know I have a few lbs I want to get rid of - once I'm there I'm guessing I can do that - it's so confusing -
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

According to mfp I shld be eating 1200 calories - I am at that amount - I don't eat my exercise calories - right know I have a few lbs I want to get rid of - once I'm there I'm guessing I can do that - it's so confusing -

MFP (from what more saavy MFP'ers have said) works on the idea of eating back calories that have been burnt through workout

you might run your stats through a TDEE calculator and see what you get for an idea for calories if you aren't eating back workout
  • emd2570
    Options
    [

MFP (from what more saavy MFP'ers have said) works on the idea of eating back calories that have been burnt through workout

you might run your stats through a TDEE calculator and see what you get for an idea for calories if you aren't eating back workout[/quote]

Thanks for the info !
  • KatsFitNow
    KatsFitNow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I want to say congrats on the hard work you've already done! I am currently getting tested to see if I'm gluten intolerant.
  • KatsFitNow
    KatsFitNow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can friend me if you'd like extra support- snacking is a struggle for me as well. Its sounds like if you avoid it all together you may really over do it when you "break". Someone once told me to work on avoiding the shame of snacking, and then the amount wouldn't always go overboard.
  • emd2570
    Options
    You can friend me if you'd like extra support- snacking is a struggle for me as well. Its sounds like if you avoid it all together you may really over do it when you "break". Someone once told me to work on avoiding the shame of snacking, and then the amount wouldn't always go overboard.

Wow good advice ... I do feel that way .... thank you ...friend request sent !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Just snack on healthy items. I think the Main Bakery or Main has good gluten free snacks plus alkaline water helps curb your appetite.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have been real good with my diet until recently and I'm not sure what to do - long story short - got to one goal gained some back from Jan til now I'm down about 30 lbs - looking to lose a little more -I excercise, strength training etc - after dinner I really don't think I'm hungry but I start looking around in cabinets and eating - cashews , a little dark chocolate , cheerios , then I can't stop and a few times it has turned into a complete food binge but that hasn't happened in a while thankfully -my diet is limited due to IBS - so im no gluten , dairy or even fruit ( the sugar ) I basically eat egg whites ( have to limit the yolks too) chicken, fish gluten free oats , only certain veggies - kale spinach mushrooms potatoes wild rice - that should be more than enough !!!!! I'm at 1200 calories would like to lose 15 more lbs then maintain and keep toning - any suggestions to stop these unecessary food cravings and eating ???

Pre-log your food and then stay focused. I feel like that's crucial with a 1,200-1,500 goal. Try to incorporate small meals and snacks throughout the day so you are less tempted to peek in the pantry and overeat.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    Many times the ONLY thing that works for me is to walk out the door on a brisk walk. Rain or shine, night or day. Seriously. Breathing deep, self talk about the journey, not wanting to go back where I was. Bringing to mind...is this food for fuel or for fun? The struggle is SOOOOOO real!! Good luck!
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too, and I do better when I plan my snacks ahead and just try to include them in my count for the day. Even if it means upping your limit by say 100 calories, then at least you stick to that 100 rather than eating a lot more.
  • SuperNerd42
    SuperNerd42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've recently taken to eating more snacks throughout the day. Prelogging and preplanning meals has helped tremendously! Instead of begging myself not to eat the chips I focus on trying to wait a bit longer before eating them.

If I get a bad craving for something overly indulgent I'll drink a big glass of ice water and then brush my teeth. Nothing tastes good with toothpaste! It usually gives me time to get over the craving and get back on track :)