is there any women with an iud who having weight issues

Options
I have had my iud for two years and rarely have a menstrual cycle. I'm wondering if it is why I have put on so much weight? any one who has anything to say would be appreciated

Replies

• Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I had one put in 2 years ago and have gained weight, but because of overeating and under moving!
  • JG2724
    JG2724 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the mirena for almost two years and I couldn't lose weight. I hated it because I had the opposite of no cycle, I had irregular long cycles. Took it off and I have been able to lose 10lbs with exercise and watching what I eat.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena in for 6 months. I gained 8 lbs in the first 5 days of having it and never lost it, until i got it out and int the same amount of time, 5 days, I lsot it once it was out. No matter what I did when I had it in, I could NOT lose the weight at all!!!!! Loving not having it in!!!!
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    what kind of IUD? The copper IUD irratates the uterus. This irritation will release stress hormones, cortosol. We all know what cortisol does. I had mine removed.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Maybe there is a connection reading what others have said!
  • got2bfitmom
    got2bfitmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I know I don't exercise enough but I have never put on weight like this before
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    I have mirena. I've had it for 18 months now, and I haven't had any real issues with losing weight. I'm considering having it removed because I don't particularly want the hormones, but for now, it's staying put.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have had the mirena IUD for going on 3 years and I have been able to loose weight with it. I have currently lost about 20 pounds in about 6 weeks. I too never have a period. I have gained weight since having it but I also had a major foot surgery 2 years ago where I was forced to be sedentary for about 15 months. So that is definitely why I gained so much weight and not from the IUD
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for 2 years. I didn't notice a significant weight gain. Of course since I was still eating the crazy amount of calories a day and not exercising I put on quite a bit of weight. I don't think that the Mirena had anything to do with it.
  • got2bfitmom
    Options
    mirena
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    After I had my daughter, I lost all my baby weight PLUS some. Had Mirena put in, and gained 10-15lbs. I had them take it out - of course I didn't lose the weight IMMEDIATELY, but it did come off.
  • got2bfitmom
    Options
    well thanx everyone im not planing on removing because another baby really wouldn't help my weight loss goal
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I've had mine almost 5 years, (time to get a new one) and my weight loss or gains have had nothing to do with it. I never had periods, though they are starting to come around now that the hormones are wearing off. It's all personalized, different people are going to associate their weight with different things. Good luck!
  • spaztastic13
    spaztastic13 Posts: 229
    Options
    I use to have the paraguard iud and i guess i didnt notice cuz i wasent watching what i ate or excercising...but birth control with hormones definantly does not help your weight loss thats why after i had my son i told my doctor i wanted birth control without hormones cuz i was once on the depo shot and i gained alot of weight on that!!!!
  • sambustem
    sambustem Posts: 83
    Options
    Interesting...I never thought of this. I had Mirena for 5 years, had it replaced for 1 yr, took it out, got pg with my son. During the first 5 yrs, I actually lost around 130lbs while it was in - so I don't think it had any effect. I had it put back in in Dec. 2010 and I've had NO luck losing much of anything. I have the no period - no spotting - no nothing and I always kinda wonder if that is messing up other things?
  • Rklane
    Rklane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am gettting Mirena tomorrow. I'll scream if I put all the weight back on! I've lost 26 pounds and still have 14 to go.
  • nks798
    nks798 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    my personal opinion and from other studies I have read: contraceptives, whatever they may be, don't make you gain weight. now, maybe they make you feel icky and tired and you don't exercise bc of it. I have had the mirena for 3 years and I wouldn't say I gained weight with it.. I just didn't care and gained it bc I was lazy and just so unmotivated. it could be different for everyone though and that is just what I think :)
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've had an IUD of some sort since my son was born in 1994. The last two have been the mirena, I'll say that I was skinnier when I had the first on put in but I was also younger, and a LOT more active. Now that I'm active again the weight is coming off again.....
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I was very skeptical about getting the Mirena iud because I gained 80 pounds on depo, but my doc explained it this way...the reason other contraceptives make you gain weight is because the hormones go throughout your entire system before they hit the spot they're supposed to. An iud goes directly to the source. I've had mine for over a year, and was able to lose and then maintain until I just stopped working out and paying any kind of attention to what I was doing. I have a hormone imbalance anyway (PCOS), so different medicines have different effects on my weight, some good and some bad, but I haven't noticed anything with the iud...it has saved me from having a hysterectomy.
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for 2 years - I gained 10 lbs the first 6 months I had it, but I do not think the weight gain was due to Mirena at all. In fact, I know it was over eating and beer drinking. I have had it two years now and I have lost 25 lbs through hard work and eating right.

Same can be said for all 10 girls in my close group. We've all had our 2-3 years and as a group we have all lost weight, but not because of our IUDs. But, everyone is different, so who knows.

It is an amazing form of birth control and I wouldn't trade it for any other form. Just got to remember to eat right, work hard and play hard.