Running....Away??

Does anyone have any suggested on how to start running? I hear about all these people doing marathons, and I would love to join the ranks of you!

Replies

• moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Does anyone have any suggested on how to start running? I hear about all these people doing marathons, and I would love to join the ranks of you!
  • start with walking then work up to running. you can do five minutes of walking with two minutes of running and go back and forth for about 30 minutes. as you get better you can decrease the amount of time spent walking and increase the amount of time spent running until you are running nonstop. hope this helps.:happy:
  • Hey moidyn...

I started running in the summer using a program called the Couch to 5K. It starts with very short legs of jogging mixed with walking and in nine weeks builds you up to running for 30 minutes. It is a pretty cool program and it went slow enough that I never felt like I just couldn't do it. Here's the link:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I highly recommend it!

Erin
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    That's exactly what I did and now I can run for about 20 minutes straight. I don't know about marathons, but I am working toward some 5Ks. There also is a podcast that someone told me about called "Couch potato to 5K" or some such.

Good luck, but I must tell you something one of my marathon runnin' friends said,

"People say they run for fun and that's crap. Running isn't fun. It's painful and it's supposed to be."
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    I would rather do anything than run. More power to those of you who do do it. I like to play Basketball, so I get my running in there.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Running is a great way to tone the whole body and get some good cardio. Interval walk/jog/run is great. I've never been a good runner, but I do like to interval run/walk for a good cardio workout, but I try to take it easy and walk more when my knees start aching, which they do after a few months of running often. While it is a great workout, do be nice to your knees and give them some time off from pounding the pavement hard.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    oh good for you! I used to jog everyday and it does get addicting...and I have to say....it was the thing that kept me skinny and fit all my teen and adult years....I stopped when I had my son...(ran the first 3 months but stopped and then power walked the remaining 6 mths)....I now run here and there.....because of lack of time which stinks.....but wish I could get out there too! (I ask Santa for a treadmil every year but ah....he must be bringin them to all the other ali's out there....cuz I'm still waiting!! lol)

I agree try to run on paths or soft ground dirt or grass (be careful though for rocks and bumps and dips) I used to run every morning on the cement sidewalk....and its not wise to do everyday....a friend told me to try running on sand (I live near the ocean) so I did that and it was harder but kinder my knees and I ended up loving it!

I wasn't a fan of running indoors but treadmils are much better for your knees too...and I'd run on one now in a minute! lol

good luck I'm very excited for you....and it may not be "fun" but the being skinny and fit part will sure be!!!! (I hear a lot of great stuff on that couch to 5k too...glad you all liked it!)
    lol
    hugs!
    Ali
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    I am the crankiest runner around but I still do it....alone! I am a sprinter and running long distnaces kill me. I am doing the Hartford scrambles this year. They are extreme 5k's. this way I won't get bored LOL. I have been out of the running loop due to surgery last year...so I am starting at square one....I am doing 3 min runs 2 min walk with an 8% incline. I do this for 45min. I will time my mile next week.

The couch potato to 5k as suggested is great.

goodluck dd
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Hey moidyn...

I started running in the summer using a program called the Couch to 5K. It starts with very short legs of jogging mixed with walking and in nine weeks builds you up to running for 30 minutes. It is a pretty cool program and it went slow enough that I never felt like I just couldn't do it. Here's the link:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I highly recommend it!

Erin

I just started this program last week and it's great! I also add on an additional 30 minutes of increased incline for an extra workout.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Let me start by saying, I don't like running/jogging.. but here is my two cents...

I knew that I wanted to do a Sprint Trialthlon (Run 5k, bike 12mi and swim 400m) this year. I have a timed indoor event in April and a Sprint Tri in May, so I needed to start training now.

A 3.5 weeks ago, I could jog for 3 minutes on a tred mill at a 4.5 setting (12.5 minute mile speed). I kept adding a minute every other day and playing with the speed while I was running till I ran a mile in 12 minutes.... Then I started just adding time (not increasing speed). I have now reached 20 minutes at a 5.0 (12 min mile).. wich turns out to 1.67miles. I have done the 20 minutes twice this week, and tonight will be the same. Although I will probably jog 1 mile tomorrow, I am going to do a spin class and yoga, and then walk on Sunday, but come Monday, the goal will be to add another minute or two to the time.

Now remember how I said I hated running? Well, the last 8 minutes of the run is always a yelling match with myself in my head... I want to stop, but i know neither my muscles nor my lungs are failing.. I just want to stop... so I have this same, stupid conversation with myself for the 8 minutes, and voi la!

That said, I also get on the hill setting of my bike (when at the gym) and do 25 minutes or so on that too, as well as swim twice a week.

I haven't seen much weightloss, but I sure feel better and my legs are looking better too.

Best of luck ! you can do it!
  • Does anyone have any suggested on how to start running? I hear about all these people doing marathons, and I would love to join the ranks of you!

Try to find "melathon" on this site and talk to her. She is FULL of great info. :smile:
  • I wanted to start running too, so I think I will try your tips with the walking and running thing!

I used to run loads when I was younger, but now I doubt I could make it to the end of my street without collapsing!
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    After taking a break, too l o n g of break (6 months) from running last summer, I was the same way. I would try to run the last block home when out walking the dog and couldn't make it, they neighbor teased me from her front porch when my hhusband and the dog kept jogging and I huffed and puffed, then walked the last 30 feet. Now, after that running break carried into this year, ( 1 year total!!) I have started up again, but I just started with 1-2 minute jogs here and there while walking, now I can do 5-10 jog/run intervals in my walks. Somedays are better than others too, today I struggled to do 3-5 intervals on the treadmill. Maybe tomorrow I'll skip the running alltogether and push it harder Sunday.