The Ab Rant - Endomorph and Ectomorph

Options
peaceout_aly
peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
Little background. I am 5' (barely) and 115-117 lbs. I lift 6 x week for 60 minutes a day and when not in a bulk I do cardio for 15-30 minutes per day. I do the basic heavy lifts, tons of accessory work and have a core circuit that I do 2 x week (trying to up that, build core muscle during the bulk!) I can get skinny and lose almost all fat on my abdomen, but the most I'll get is the oblique definition. My best friend just had a baby about a year ago, and almost instantly lose all the weight, and has a complete 6-pack. This same friend eats an entire roll of cinnabuns, sleeves of cookies and drinks Pepsi like crazy. She never works out.

My question is, people say that there is no such thing as an ectomorph and endomorph, but how is it possible that she can eat so much more, not work out and still have the perfect stomach and I watch what I eat, work out daily, and still have little to no definition if those concepts do not exist? Are some people just geneticly predisposed to having good muscle structure?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Little background. I am 5' (barely) and 115-117 lbs. I lift 6 x week for 60 minutes a day and when not in a bulk I do cardio for 15-30 minutes per day. I do the basic heavy lifts, tons of accessory work and have a core circuit that I do 2 x week (trying to up that, build core muscle during the bulk!) I can get skinny and lose almost all fat on my abdomen, but the most I'll get is the oblique definition. My best friend just had a baby about a year ago, and almost instantly lose all the weight, and has a complete 6-pack. This same friend eats an entire roll of cinnabuns, sleeves of cookies and drinks Pepsi like crazy. She never works out.

My question is, people say that there is no such thing as an ectomorph and endomorph, but how is it possible that she can eat so much more, not work out and still have the perfect stomach and I watch what I eat, work out daily, and still have little to no definition if those concepts do not exist? Are some people just geneticly predisposed to having good muscle structure?[/b[

Yes...

I know a lot of really lean and fit women...only one of them has a six pack and she only has that some of the time...she has to be scary lean to have visible abs...women have more essential BF and thus it's much harder to to have the ab thing going on...it's definitely genetic.

ETA: but I do have a hard time believing that someone who never works out has a six pack...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Good question, you figure that out I want to know too!
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

My question is, people say that there is no such thing as an ectomorph and endomorph, but how is it possible that she can eat so much more, not work out and still have the perfect stomach and I watch what I eat, work out daily, and still have little to no definition if those concepts do not exist? Are some people just geneticly predisposed to having good muscle structure?[/b[

Yes...

I know a lot of really lean and fit women...only one of them has a six pack and she only has that some of the time...she has to be scary lean to have visible abs...women have more essential BF and thus it's much harder to to have the ab thing going on...it's definitely genetic.

ETA: but I do have a hard time believing that someone who never works out has a six pack...

It's not a solid six-pack with protruding muscle definition, but you can absolutely see the top four muscles at all times and the bottom two on occasion. She works out maybe once every 2 months when she comes with me to the gym and she usually comes on my leg day, not upper body. LOL. She is just lucky I guess!
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    I am upset Warren Buffet has more money than me.

...not saying I'm upset about it, just wondering about the endo/ectomorph theory
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    My last show I was getting ready for, that never happened cause I blew my shoulder out, I only had top 4 of my 6pack showing, could not get the fat on my back to come off. it was ridiculous and my lower abs would not show up. I tried everything.

Then there are guys who lift and train and eat what they want and have veins and all 6 abs all year round. Just how they are.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Anyone think it had anything to do with the distribution of fast versus slow twitch muscle fibers in an individual?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP, somatotype have been debunked..

But what is relevant is genetics, all people have vast differences in metabolism, how they store fat, how they grow muscle, appetite, etc.... genetic differences manifest themselves such that some people do have a harder or easier time gaining muscle, losing fat, etc..
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I am upset Warren Buffet has more money than me.

...not saying I'm upset about it, just wondering about the endo/ectomorph theory

Somatotypes were originally supposed to be predictors of your mental temperament based on your body type. If you were an ectomorph, you were thin, flat-chested, lightly-muscled, delicate... And tense, anxious, restrained, and secretive. The idea that someone's physical form dictates their temperament is pretty ludicrous, yeah?

That's not to say that people have different genetics and different builds, of course they do. But people don't fall neatly into ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph body types, and anything saying you need to eat or exercise for your somatotype is broscience.

Oh and the original endomorph description was for a short, overweight person... I feel like when I see it described now it's usually talking about big, a super-muscular person, so even the original "science" isn't used "correctly" anymore.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Genetics. Even with competitive body builders who get down to single digits in body fat percentage, their definition may not be as crisp as one who may have 1% or 2% more than them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yes...

It's not a solid six-pack with protruding muscle definition, but you can absolutely see the top four muscles at all times and the bottom two on occasion. She works out maybe once every 2 months when she comes with me to the gym and she usually comes on my leg day, not upper body. LOL. She is just lucky I guess!

Yeah, good genes...I have a buddy from Laos and he works out about the same as me...nothing crazy, a couple days per week in the weight room doing full body stuff...he's pretty jacked...he would be incredibly impressive if he actually trained with some volume for size...he could pretty easily be a body builder I think.

I on the other hand just look fit...I will never be "jacked" even if I trained for that...certainly I would get bigger, but I don't have the genetics to be a body builder.

ETA: genetically, I have really nice legs, calves in particular...and a booty which most guys are lacking. Genetics plays a huge roll...
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options

My question is, people say that there is no such thing as an ectomorph and endomorph, but how is it possible that she can eat so much more, not work out and still have the perfect stomach and I watch what I eat, work out daily, and still have little to no definition if those concepts do not exist? Are some people just geneticly predisposed to having good muscle structure?

Could it be that she's busting her *kitten* and keeping it to herself? Early morning or late night workouts? 10 mile jog every morning at 4:30 a.m.? Do you know EVERYTHING she eats? A person could eat 1,000 calories of cinnabuns and cookies and if that's all they eat, they'll lose weight. I don't recommend that, just saying.

I'm curious too.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »

Could it be that she's busting her *kitten* and keeping it to herself? Early morning or late night workouts? 10 mile jog every morning at 4:30 a.m.? Do you know EVERYTHING she eats? A person could eat 1,000 calories of cinnabuns and cookies and if that's all they eat, they'll lose weight. I don't recommend that, just saying.

I'm curious too.
    Bingo.

In high school I was that person that 'ate everything in sight' but still had 7% body fat. I'd have a light breakfast, pizza+gatorade+snickers ice cream bars for lunch, dinner with family and a 2nd dinner around 11pm just for me. I thought I was a devourer of worlds. A little while back I calculated an average day for me back then and it came in around 2,000 calories. Add on 2-3 hours of exercise a day and it was no wonder that I was a skeleton. You don't know what she eats like when she's not around you and unless she's measuring and logging then she will probably over-report what she eats the same way I did.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As others said.. genetics, existing muscle base and ability to build muscle in certain parts. For example I have little to no ab definition even at very low BF%. Why? Probably a mix of genetics and the fact that I don't have a muscle base that shows through. Bulking has helped to build a bit but I don't work on my abs at all so they tend not to show through (personal preference).. so just keep at it and in time you may see some changes. It may take a few bulk/cut cycles. On the other hand you should see my calves! Holy smokes.. I don't work them directly at all and they are so muscular..likely due to genetics plus some track and field and sports I did when I was younger.