60+ lbs down.... gains to come

Options
hnself
hnself Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2016 in Success Stories

e3q321urscuv.png

5'11", 224 lb to 158 lb, size 14 to size 6.

I have always been mildly insecure about my weight but I did not realize how much excess weight I carried. I still see myself as overweight when I look in the mirror, but see how much weight I have lost when I compare pictures. I was convinced that the numbers on the scale were high due to my height. I finally decided some time after looking at a BMI chart which claimed I was borderline obese that I would try to lose a few pounds, still with the mindset that the chart was wrong and I weighed more because of my height and heavy bones. (I am not claiming that these charts are 100% right because there are so many factors that go into this, but it jump started me in losing my weight.) I had tried several times to lose a few pounds but finally, I had changed my mindset. I wasn't in it to lose pounds. I wanted to look good for me and I wanted to be healthy (and to be "that girl" that made other girls jealous!).
I began in January... call it a New Years Resolution if you will. I scoured the internet for an "easy way" but there really is no easy way done right... so I did the typical high cardio, cut the calories. I ate lean protein, veggies, fruits, and cut my portions considerably. I ate small healthy snacks when hungry. Water is key. I still carry my 32 oz Nalgene with me everywhere.... trying to drink at least 5 of these a day. This app helped significantly in my keeping track of what I ate... it also cut down in cheating because I knew I would have to enter it and wouldn't want to. But in order to not burn out, I allowed myself a cheat day a week.
My initial goal was to be under 200 lbs. Once I met that, 180, then my main goal was 165. I have made it down to 158. Now what? I still have fat I would like to lose... but since this is a lifestyle change and not a fat loss program, I am learning more and more about fitness and health.
I have recently learned that I love lifting weights. I have always disliked cardio... it makes you sweaty and gross and breath hard and there has really been nothing I like about it except for the episodes of "New Girl" I allow myself to watch on my phone only on the Elliptical or Arc Trainer (my incentive for going to the gym).
But I have found a new love for weight lifting! So, I am learning how to lift weights, how to split my weight days (I keep a day or two of cardio because it's supposed to be good for your heart or something...), how to eat, and that with building muscle, weight gain is okay (hence the term GAINS!). And apparently if you're trying to put on muscle, you're supposed to eat more! Which I can be okay with because I absolutely love food. I don't have a new weight goal set and I don't plan to lose any more pounds, but I would like to continue to build my strength, to continue to get toned and see some muscles pop up, and to build my stamina on the treadmill using my cardio days- I really hate the treadmill.
So, if any of you have some success stories or advice I would love to hear it!! Have a wonderful day [night, evening, year, etc]!

Replies

• alandrum143
    alandrum143 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats you look great.
  • gabrudromero
    gabrudromero Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    congrats on the hard work! feel proud, and get dem GAINZ! :)
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Well done you look amazing!!!
  • provon
    provon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Way to go. Love that cute striped, tucked in shirt!
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So many positives in your post, I don't know where to start :smile:
    I had changed my mindset.
    I so believe weight loss is a mind game. If you can sort your head out, you'll lose weight.
    I scoured the internet for an "easy way" but there really is no easy way.
    Yep its hard work and dedication every time.
    I have made it down to 158.
    This is awesome, just awesome!
    I have found a new love for weight lifting! I love this so much.
    I'm a firm believer if you wanna rocking body, lift weights.

These stood out for me. Well done, carry on and keep up the good work. :smiley:
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    You look great and have found exactly what works for you. Lifting weights really is the best.
  • anniefituk
    anniefituk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats you look great! Very inspiring to us all just starting again!
  • birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Sounds like you made all the right changes!

• vlnielsen519
    vlnielsen519 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You look great! I like that you are on a learning journey for health now after hitting your weight goal
  • robynism
    robynism Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    WOW! You look great!! You have such a beautiful figure!! Keep up the good work!
  • big2strongCO
    big2strongCO Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome work!
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great! Thanks for sharing you story with everyone. This is the first success story I have looked at in awhile and it really helped. Again, you look fabulous keep up the good work!
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    hnself wrote: »
    I don't have a new weight goal set and I don't plan to lose any more pounds, but I would like to continue to build my strength, to continue to get toned and see some muscles pop up, and to build my stamina on the treadmill using my cardio days- I really hate the treadmill.
    So, if any of you have some success stories or advice I would love to hear

Love this!! Congratulations!! Also...If you REALLY hate traditional boring cardio you should check out Fitnessblender.com they have 600+ FREE workout videos on YouTube. Their "for people who get bored easily" videos have ZERO repeat exercises
  • Thegirlwiththesupermantattoo
    Options
    you look awesome :)
  • miss_aims
    miss_aims Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely stunning! Best of luck on your gains! Go get 'em!
  • naomillion
    naomillion Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You look gorgeous! Awesome work, highly inspirational, keep it up!
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think stories like yours are the best! I'm on a similar journey.
  • ellabhealth
    ellabhealth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and weight as you were starting out. Your before picture IS me and your after picture inspires me! But in all honesty it's scary to be here at the beginning and wonder if you'll ever make it! I have dieted eating greens n proteins for months at a time then one emotional disaster sends me crashing back into the abyss that is carbs!! What advice do you have for me? Would you care to be my mentor?
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    You look amazing !
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    That's incredible!! Be proud of yourself-congrats!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!