Lost Weight Yet Still Have The Same Calorie Budget.

Options
I had a fantastic first week on My Fitness Pal. I logged all my food, even on days I went over (had to be honest ;) )and exercised 5 days in a row which is more than I have ever done. With all that I lost 6lbs this week, which is great. The thing that does concern me is that even after losing 6 pounds my calorie budget stayed the same for week two. Shouldn't my budget go down as my weight does? Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated o:)

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Do you have a decent amount to lose? If so, no, it won't change after 6lbs.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about your calorie. You increased your calorie expandeture through exercise I guess you didn't eat any more so the usual amount of calories in and more energy used in burning them up. So a bit of weight is lost. Which is good. To loose weight isn't complicated it's basically increase the energy you use through exercise or decrease the amount of energy you put in through food into your body. It has nothing to do with weight as too how much food you need it's how activ. e you are. I presume you didnt feel like eating more food than normal which is good. Maybe this week just decrease your food just a tiny bit and keep the exercise up. But don't decrease too much or you will be tired. As long as the weight is moving in the right direction I'd not worry too much about what you had
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about your calorie. You increased your calorie expandeture through exercise I guess you didn't eat any more so the usual amount of calories in and more energy used in burning them up. So a bit of weight is lost. Which is good. To loose weight isn't complicated it's basically increase the energy you use through exercise or decrease the amount of energy you put in through food into your body. It has nothing to do with weight as too how much food you need it's how activ. e you are. I presume you didnt feel like eating more food than normal which is good. Maybe this week just decrease your food just a tiny bit and keep the exercise up. But don't decrease too much or you will be tired. As long as the weight is moving in the right direction I'd not worry too much about what you had

What are you trying to say here? Are you telling me a 300lb man and myself, a 145lb woman, who are equally active, will eat the SAME amount to lose weight?

No. TDEE is based on height, weight, age, activity level.

OP. You probably lost some water weight this week too. Just keep doing what you're doing.
  • notquittingthistime1984
    Options
    I think MFP asks you if you want to recalculate your calories every time you lose 10 pounds. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, because even with a 10lb loss it doesn't drop your calories that significantly. (maybe 10-20 calories)
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

What are you trying to say here? Are you telling me a 300lb man and myself, a 145lb woman, who are equally active, will eat the SAME amount to lose weight?

No. TDEE is based on height, weight, age, activity level.

OP. You probably lost some water weight this week too. Just keep doing what you're doing.

No you've misunderstood you eat the amount of food right for your energy use that's all each of us an individual and operate different. A 300lb man requires more energy to move than a 150lb lady. Yet for myself I weigh about 150lb yet consume about 2500 to 3000 calories a day
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    To reiterate what @notquittingthistime1984 said, your calorie allowance doesn't change unless you manually go into MFP and update your "Goals" under the "My Home" tab. It is suggested to do this every 10 pounds or so to maintain the same deficit amount you selected, because yes, as your weight decreases you burn less calories by existing.
  • U2Bad1
    U2Bad1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    6 lbs isn't going to change it very much anyway.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If this is your first week you probably lost a lot of water and a bit of fat so won't change your calorie requirements. I think MFP updates after 10-15lbs. Keep going!
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I thought if you update your weight in MFP weekly, at the appropriate time, it will give you a lower calorie goal to match how much you are set to lose (1 pound or however much you set). Am I wrong? I've lost about 15 and looking back it has lowered my daily calories about 10 since starting. I didn't do anything to do that I don't think.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and say great job! Keep at it!
  • miss_aims
    miss_aims Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! Keep up the incredible work!
  • vmrjj
    vmrjj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great job!