Hoka One One

Options
Anyone ever try shoes from this company?

OMFG it's like running on freaking grass!!!

Since I started running these are my go to shoes. I got 4 pairs of them now.

Clayton
Clifton
Bondi 4
Bondi 5

I have several pair of high end running shoes, but these Hoka One One's are the best for road running IMO.

Great for old people like me...:)

Replies

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Nice to know, I may have to look into them for my next pair.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I found them to be far too heavy for running shoes. I do like them for walking.

I get that this will vary for other people. I have Bondi's.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I did a demo run with the Clifton 3's a few months ago. They are way to cushioned for me. Plus, it would take some getting used to the 4mm drop. I ran 5 miles and my calves were not happy the next day.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Clifton love em B)
  • theamazingcassiebunny
    Options
    I just bought Cliftons and love them
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I will check them out!
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Clayton and Clifton... great company and awesome shoes, haven't run a race in them yet, but plenty of training runs!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that I am talking strictly for "road running" and not 'trail running" (although they do make trail running shoes too).

I'm 59 and have to be careful about my old joints. At the same time I don't want to trail run because I turned my right ankle so bad when I was younger that even to this day, if I put the side of my foot on the floor and put weight on it, it will pop right out again. I cannot risk an ankle injury, so I run on asphalt trails at local parks.

I have run on grass before, and when I run on roads, the Hoka's give me the feeling that I'm running on grass.

The 4mm heel/toe drop does take time to adjust to and is actually better (IMO) than the 8mm - 12mm heal drop found in other running shoes. I power walk too and the higher heel/toe drop shoes cause my forefoot to slap the ground when walking at fast paces, and my shins start hurting.

I know shoes are a personal preference, but I can go much further in the Hoka's before my feet/ankles/knees/hips/back start feeling stressed than any other shoe I have tried.

And I own about a dozen pair of high end running shoes.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Horses for courses really. Personally I prefer a low drop, minimal cushioning shoe on both road and trail. They give better ground feel, and control.

I've also had ankle problems and find the height and lack of ground feel make me more liable to twist my ankle. The longer lever of the maximal stack height places a lot more stress on the joint for me.

They do work for many though.

I have Road Claws with a 6mm drop for road, Race Ultras and Mud Claws for off road, with a 3mm drop.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and have horrible joints. But I'm short and don't weigh much. That could be why the Hoka's were too heavy for me. I need cushioning because the joints in my feet are horrible, and I need some stability because my knees are awful. But again, horses for courses.

I'm glad you found something that works for you!

I'm currently running with some New Balance Fresh Foam 1080's and like them a lot. I still do love the Hoka's for long walks, they're just too heavy to run in. They fatigue my legs.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Keep in mind that I am talking strictly for "road running" and not 'trail running" (although they do make trail running shoes too).

I'm 59 and have to be careful about my old joints. At the same time I don't want to trail run because I turned my right ankle so bad when I was younger that even to this day, if I put the side of my foot on the floor and put weight on it, it will pop right out again. I cannot risk an ankle injury, so I run on asphalt trails at local parks.

I have run on grass before, and when I run on roads, the Hoka's give me the feeling that I'm running on grass.

The 4mm heel/toe drop does take time to adjust to and is actually better (IMO) than the 8mm - 12mm heal drop found in other running shoes. I power walk too and the higher heel/toe drop shoes cause my forefoot to slap the ground when walking at fast paces, and my shins start hurting.

I know shoes are a personal preference, but I can go much further in the Hoka's before my feet/ankles/knees/hips/back start feeling stressed than any other shoe I have tried.

And I own about a dozen pair of high end running shoes.

I am glad you found something you like. I know from others that Hoka changed the Cliftons recently and some who used to love them now hate them. I'm not sure what they did, but there are a few pissed off people in my running group. :(
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Many people love Hokas. But I have had a pair of Altras with the thick Hoka-type sole, and I have to say, as some others here have said, they were not for me. When I run more than a few miles in them my knees are sore the next day. My knees never get sore like that otherwise. I think they are too much cushioning for me.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I bought the trail shoes (for trail running) because of my plantar fasciitis. I can run 1-2 days a week, and the Hokas gave me that when I first got back into it. They took a lot of getting used to when NOT running. I was wearing them at work as I'm on a concrete floor, and at first, I tripped a lot. I also have an old knee that needs lots of attention and care, and I think the Hokas are good for it. Very cushion-y :)
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have the Challenger ATR trail shoes that I use for both road and trail running. I tried running off and on for 10 years and kept having pain until I finally discovered that I need a lower drop shoe (The Challengers are 4mm) and custom orthotics. The Hokas were the first shoes I ran in without pain. I like the rocking action of them; I feel like they help propel me forward with less fatigue.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm a Vanquish girl. The Cliftons are uber light but I feel unstable in them and felt like running on sand compared to the Vanquish, which is still light but with more support. The Bondi is simply too heavy for me. I wear mens though as the ladies are so blooming narrow.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of pair, different models. I'm ambivalent on them.

The original pair I had, I removed the insole to get a 1-2mm drop which was nice. I need a low drop or end up with knee problems. But, on both pair the tongue is weird and tends to wrinkle, the toe box narrows too soon and crowds my forefoot and pinky toe, and the shoe feels clunkier than I'd like.

They don't run clunky, though. My times are decent with them and they have enough cushion that the plantar callouses on the bottoms of my feet don't bother me. I find them good for 8-15 mile runs. For shorter runs I like a more minimalist shoe. For longer runs, the narrow toe box becomes a real problem.
  • laffercat
    laffercat Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    A friend who worked at a running store gave me a pair. At the time I was just walking and they gave me blisters.

I have since started running and they feel great! I think they are super light.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Can't stand them...way too squishy for me. But, many love them.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I run in Merrell Bare Access for everyday use and Altra Instinct for my long runs. The Hoka's have way to much cushion for me.