CrossFit calories

Options
Does anyone know how to add CrossFit to the exercise regime? Or how many calories it usual entails. I participate in a 1 hr class which includes 2 workouts and some stretching

Replies

• kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Depends on the WOD. If it's a very heavy conditioning day it could be up to 600-700 but on more strength focused days it could be a bit less throughout the duration. In MFP, I usually use the "circuit training" option, it seems about on target. A friend of mine with a heart rate monitor measured about 500 cals on average per class.
    Hope this helps!
  • D_Moen
    D_Moen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was wondering the same!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I had a friend track their xfit workouts for a year with a hrm which isn't very accurate, but probably as good a guess as you're going to get. The average for her was about 375 calories.
    I'm bigger than her (5'11", 178 lbs) and when I did xfit I would log 400 for most workouts - sometimes less.
  • kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had a friend track their xfit workouts for a year with a hrm which isn't very accurate, but probably as good a guess as you're going to get. The average for her was about 375 calories.
    I'm bigger than her (5'11", 178 lbs) and when I did xfit I would log 400 for most workouts - sometimes less.

It's true - it does depend on body weight so someone like me who is 125 pounds might only burn 300-400 calories. Again, it's dependent on the wod and what you're focusing on. You may burn more calories with heavier conditioning days during the actual workout but as everyone talks about here, on heavy strength days most of the calories are burned after the workout.

I log my workouts but I generally stick to my pre determined calorie limit (I'm eating at maintenance now anyway) anyway as there's really no way to be sure if the calorie burn count is accurate. It's always better to underestimate if you want this number so you can eat back exercise calories (when I was in weight loss mode, I really did not often eat back ALL my exercise calories for this reason).
    Hope this is somewhat helpful and good luck with crossfit! It sure is hard but it's also hard not to keep coming back for more ;)