Yoga

Options
Anyone in MFP practices yoga?
Which one do you practice, and how frequent?

Am researching which one will suit me. Am a newbie, i know there is a practice out there for this newbie right here! :happy:

Thanks for sharing luvies!

Nana_B

Xx

Replies

• sqtolliver
    sqtolliver Posts: 20
    Options
    I do Wii Yoga 4 times a week.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've practiced Hatha and Ashtanga but, didn't love either. Just recently I started Bikram and I heart it. It also burns more calories than the others I've done.

If you are going to get started make sure that the instructor has taught for a while. They are better able to get you started and explain each pose. My first Bikram was a new instructor and I almost quit right there. Since then I've had experienced instructors and it's been great!
  • lynn_1290
    lynn_1290 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am going to be starting bikram yoga soon with my friend, I can't wait!
  • nana_b
    nana_b Posts: 24
    Options
    Cheers sqtcaesar! *waves*

If only I've a Wii, yours truly would so do that as well! :happy:
    How often do you play/practice yoga on Wii, luv?
  • nana_b
    Options
    I've practiced Hatha and Ashtanga but, didn't love either. Just recently I started Bikram and I heart it. It also burns more calories than the others I've done.

If you are going to get started make sure that the instructor has taught for a while. They are better able to get you started and explain each pose. My first Bikram was a new instructor and I almost quit right there. Since then I've had experienced instructors and it's been great!

Thanks for sharing yeabby! :smile:
    I've had similar experience... though am not certain if she was new. However, it felt more as if i was in boot camp with the drill sergeant versus the yoga I signed up for. Weeks passed, one of my mates mentioned Bikram. Today's my day two. :smooched: I find it quite challenging, but fun! Does my statement even make sense? :laugh:

How far along are you practicing Bikram?
  • nana_b
    Options
    I am going to be starting bikram yoga soon with my friend, I can't wait!

Cheers, lynn_1220! :smile:

I just started two days ago with practicing Bikram. First day, I nearly gagged due to humidity and heat. But with helpful and knowledgeable instructor/s, I managed to stay and follow the asanas for 90mins.

Good luck with your practice, luv!
    Keep us posted. :smile:
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    I tried Yoga for the first time a few weeks ago... relaxed me a bunch but didn't burn enough.. only 150 per my heart chest strap monitor so doesn't really get me to my goal
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love hatha yoga and I want to try birkam yoga.
  • happyfeet262
    Options
    I do Anusara yoga. It's important to find a good teacher. I would recommend going to a class a few times, at least, to learn the proper alignment of poses. www.yogatoday.com has some great anusara classes with beautiful scenery (although you miss a lot of the scenery when you are in the pose) . Each wk they offer 1 free class. You can also purchase classes.
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm just working out at home with a nifty book on Om Yoga. I used to go to a deep stretch class at the Y. and loved it. Yoga might not be the way to burn calories, but most people could use to work on their flexibility. All the cardio doesn't do that. Plus the meditative part of the practice is something many people could use to combat emotional eating.:smile:
  • vivid2012
    vivid2012 Posts: 31
    Options
    yoya is my favorite way to lose weight.
  • sqtolliver
    sqtolliver Posts: 20
    Options
    Cheers sqtcaesar! *waves*

If only I've a Wii, yours truly would so do that as well! :happy:
    How often do you play/practice yoga on Wii, luv?

I "try" for every other day :tongue: . I average 4 days per week.
  • nana_b
    Options
    I do Anusara yoga. It's important to find a good teacher. I would recommend going to a class a few times, at least, to learn the proper alignment of poses. www.yogatoday.com has some great anusara classes with beautiful scenery (although you miss a lot of the scenery when you are in the pose) . Each wk they offer 1 free class. You can also purchase classes.

Cheers, happyfeet262! :smile:
    I agree with you on finding a proper yoga instructor.
    Will give the website you recommended a go soon as I get off my daily grind.
    Thanks btw. :flowerforyou:
    How often do yo practice anusara yoga?

nana_b

xx
  • nana_b
    Options
    I tried Yoga for the first time a few weeks ago... relaxed me a bunch but didn't burn enough.. only 150 per my heart chest strap monitor so doesn't really get me to my goal

Cheers! :smile:
    Are you still practicing yoga by chance?

nana_b

xx
  • nana_b
    Options

Cheers, zona! *waves*

I do recommend Bikram! :wink:
    Am on my second practice. I cannot say "i love it!" ... not yet at least. :laugh:
    however, I do feel a bit more limber and invigorated post practice.

Please keep us posted with your future Bikram adventure, luv! :smile:

nana_b
    xx
  • nana_b
    Options
    Currently I'm just working out at home with a nifty book on Om Yoga. I used to go to a deep stretch class at the Y. and loved it. Yoga might not be the way to burn calories, but most people could use to work on their flexibility. All the cardio doesn't do that. Plus the meditative part of the practice is something many people could use to combat emotional eating.:smile:

Whimsy, cheers luv! :smile:

I to loooove and appreciate those deep and long hold stretches! I used to attend twice a week at one of the health clubs in AZ... then, they increase their membership prices. :sad:

You are right on "yoga might not be the way to burn..." I learned that just last year! :laugh: Was mighty pissed when I found out. Then i read somewhere that "being fit and healthy requires a balance marriage of flexibility, cardio, strength training. and proper nutrition." Hence, here I am... starting over... the proper way. :smile:

btw ..." Plus the meditative part of the practice is something many people could use to combat emotional eating " <---so true! :flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I've practiced for 11 years and have taught for 5. A good instructor is more important than a good method; however, some methods have more training than others.

Here's a good description of the different types:
    http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/165

Here's another version:
    http://www.lifescript.com/Body/Shape/Workout/From_Fat_to_Fit_Yoga_for_Every_Body.aspx

Good luck
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Wife and I do "yoga 101" at big box gym every Sunday morning. The instructor is key to a good practice. I can't stand to work with the 2 ladies that sub when the regular gal is off. A lot of folks don't realize how much a yoga class or two could benefit the rest of their workouts. I also enjoy surprising those ladies,the ones who look at me funny when I walk in, with just how much mobility and flexibility I have. Years of wrestling paying off later in life! haha
  • keepcalmandnamaste
    Options
    Vinyasa yoga!!! Occasionally I go to a power yoga class, but vinyasa is definitely my favorite. And it burns A LOT of calories - don't be fooled by people who have no idea what yoga is!
  • nana_b
    Options
    I've practiced for 11 years and have taught for 5. A good instructor is more important than a good method; however, some methods have more training than others.

Here's a good description of the different types:
    http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/165

Here's another version:
    http://www.lifescript.com/Body/Shape/Workout/From_Fat_to_Fit_Yoga_for_Every_Body.aspx

Good luck

Cheers marywilldiet! :smile:

Wow! 11 years or yoga?! That's wicked!
    Which yoga did you teach?

Just started 2 days ago, and it is invigorating!

Thank you for the websites:flowerforyou: .
    Will peruse through it later.

BTW, when you practice yoga, how often do you do it? How often do you recommend it to your students?