Does your body get use to a diet?

Options
Somebody at work told me that after a month/3 months your body gets use to your diet and stops losing weigh. So for instance if you were losing 1lb a week and cut 500 calories a day and ate 1700 a day, that after a while your body would stop losing weight because it gets use to the lower calories and learns to function on that amount and no extra?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Adaptive thermogenesis is a thing which is why people take "diet breaks" to reset. I'd say it takes longer than a month though unless you're just crashing your diet, and it's not like you just stop losing...your metabolism dials back a bit, but it's not like that just becomes your new maintenance...that doesn't happen.

Also, as you get smaller, your calorie requirements go down...so if you're eating at the same target you were in the beginning, it will not be the same kind of deficit...it'll be smaller.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    No, though you do need to re-run your stats every few pounds lost, because as you lose weight you need to adjust your calorie intake. I did this every 5lbs lost.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    katiehepp1 wrote: »
    Somebody at work told me that after a month/3 months your body gets use to your diet and stops losing weigh. So for instance if you were losing 1lb a week and cut 500 calories a day and ate 1700 a day, that after a while your body would stop losing weight because it gets use to the lower calories and learns to function on that amount and no extra?

Nope. So wrong. Look up TDEE. If you eat anything below that, you're gonna lose.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If that were true no one would ever reach their goal weight.

ETA - So many diet myths out there that keep getting repeated.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    As long as you live, you have a TDEE. Your TDEE varies depending on your weight, muscle mass, and recent feeding habits. If your deficit is consistently more than -500 calories, you will force your TDEE to decline, both because you're losing weight and because you're starving it.. Your weight loss is determined by the differential between your food intake and your TDEE. If your TDEE is falling, your food intake has to fall to maintain the differential that is necessary to maintain the rate of weight loss you want. Most of us don't want to live a life with steadily reducing the amount of food we eat, and instead choose to allow the rate of weight loss to diminish as the expression of our declining TDEE and our consistent level of food intake.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Your body does "adapt" but not in the way you have described.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not so much diet, but there can be longer-term adaptations to weight loss that decreases the thermic effect of food (Am J Clin Nutr 2008;88:906 –12).

What usually happens over the longer term is that you "adjust" to your (new) habitual food intake and activity patterns, and so you go back into an energy balance.

In addition, when one follows a "diet", it usually involves changes in eating habits that cannot be sustained long-term. There is usually a number of factors--behavioral, physical, genetic, lifestyle, psychological, etc--that contribute to weight gain. Focusing on the big two--diet and exercise--without addressing the others usually means that, over time, the old psychological/behavioral drives reassert themselves.

• Renegade192015
    Renegade192015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's called metabolic adaptation. It's a survival tactic the body employs. It slows down the metabolism after prolonged calorie deficit.
  • irandra23
    irandra23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm am doing 1000 calories per day i hope my body doesn't adapt to this.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    irandra23 wrote: »

Why are you undereating?
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    No, though you do need to re-run your stats every few pounds lost, because as you lose weight you need to adjust your calorie intake. I did this every 5lbs lost.

Can you do this on MFP??
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    coleg04 wrote: »

Can you do this on MFP??

I wasn't on MFP for my weight loss phase, but I think you need to manually re-enter your info here, for it to adjust your calories? I don't think it automatically does it.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    It automatically adjusts your calories when you update your weight.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have not adjusted my intake at all and I have lost 35 pounds so far and I still lose about a pound every week or week and a half. Your body eventually will get to a point that you are consuming about what you burn. That is when you stop losing weight. Also My Fitness Pal has never adjusted my calories after a certain amount of weight loss. People keep saying this happens but I have yet to see it.
  • irandra23
    irandra23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Why are you undereating?

Because I need to lose 4 pounds a week to hit my goal. I cant do that if i eat 2500 a day.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    4lbs a week isn't a healthy recommendation for weight loss rate...why so much? MFP recommends 2lbs unless under the supervision of a professional
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Why are you undereating?

Because I need to lose 4 pounds a week to hit my goal. I cant do that if i eat 2500 a day.

Are you morbidly obese? 4 lbs a week is super aggressive and not recommended unless you are under doctor supervision.