Signifigant weight loss - feeling overwhelmed with info

Options
I have started the long journey of losing 100 lbs. I went on to IIFYM and get the following numbers

Protein Grams: 224
Fat Grams: 98
Carbs Grams: 117
Fiber Grams: 42-42
When all of these macros are added up, you get a total of 2247 calories.

I'm 6ft tall and I weigh 280 lbs. I have been doing pretty intense working out with Beachbody Core De Force. 500-1000 calories per workout. I have been doing the workouts for about a month and the Macros I've only just started. I was doing the beachbody meal plan previous to this. My weight is at a total standstill. I feel that there are changes but I'm worried that if I don't start seeing my weight come down I'm going to get frustrated and quit. Any advice for losing this much weight? Where should I start? Should I even worry about macros? Should I be doing such intense workouts that build muscle or should I just focus on cardio until my weight is down further???

Please help.

Trina

Replies

• red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi Trina
    This is a long journey . It not how much you have to loose .It's getting your weight to go in right direction ..

For me I have been focusing on eating the correct ammout of calories .. in a deficit. . The fitness will come when I am ready .. loose weight in kitchen get fit in the gym .. you cannot out exercise bad eating habits

Good luck
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you, and weigh about 10lbs more. Without exercise factored in, and on the sedentary activity level, MyFitnessPal has my calorie goal to lose 2lbs a week at around 1650 calories per day. How are you calculating those calorie burns? The numbers may be inflated. Are you 100% accurate with your calorie logging? Do you weigh your food and choose accurate entries from the database?

That being said, you've also only been at this for a month. Anytime a new exercise regimine is started, you're generally going to experience some water retention because of it, which can mask weight loss.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    using sedentary as a basis - your TDEE is 2486 for maintenance (not losing any weight) - so 2247 is about 200 under daily

that being said, looking at macros, your protein seems really high to me

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=36&lbs=280&in=72&act=1.2&f=1
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Hi Trina and welcome!

Don't overthink this so early on. Set a tiny goal and nail it. Like lose 10 lbs.

Focus on accuracy of calories and literally, nothing else right now. Exercise is a bonus, not a requirement for losing weight. Worry about macros later.

I'm a 61 1" guy and lost with 2300 when I started @ 257 lbs so 2200 (or even a little more) should work well for you.

Good Luck!
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi Trina. I understand your frustration. It is the worst disappointment in the world when you think you have done so much to lose weight and the scale doesn't budge.

2247 calories sounds a bit high. I currently weigh more than you (yes, I also have a lot to lose!), and MFP calculates my calories at 1810 in order to lose 2 lbs per week. If you are eating 400 calories more than me AND you weigh less, I wouldn't be surprised that you haven't lost weight yet. I would use MFP to calculate how many calories you should have, because I have had a lot of success with that (50+ lbs lost!).

They say that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. In my experience, I have found this to be true. I would focus on determining your accurate amount of caloric intake and eat accordingly. MFP will guide you in terms of macros - don't worry about calculating everything - that just gets to be too overwhelming. It will tell you when you've had all your protein for the day, or if you went over on fat, etc. Just use that. I promise you that if you focus only on diet (assuming you have caloric intake correct), you will see the scale move. If that doesn't happen, you should see your doctor.

Good luck. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. :-)
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    also weight loss isn't linear and it isn't going to be a fast process - you might want to set yourself smaller goals - i.e. if 280 now, then make 270 or 260 your first goal, then 250/240 etc...having smaller ones helps me be more focused
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't worry about macros to begin with. Be patient and log accurately. 2247 cals sounds about right, but if you have been logging accurately and not losing, 5 or 6 weeks should be enough to tell you that you need to figure out why you havent lost. Most likely you need to lower the calorie amount slightly (or make sure you are eating and logging properly...it is a common mistake that people overlook). Weigh food, and log EVERYTHING.

Fine tuning macros can happen afterwards, unless you notice you are way out of whack I would focus my thoughts on eating within the calorie budget first.

I am not totally familiar with the beach body workout, but if you are not lifting weights, I can't see any muscle being built. Might be a great cardio workout but I would recommend some resistance training as well. It will do wonders for body composition and you want to make sure you aren't losing muscle as you lose weight.

To maximize weight loss and some body shaping it is best to combine proper eating, with resistance training and cardio. You can have awesome weight loss without any exercise at all mind you, depends on what you are willing to do, how much you enjoy it, and what your goals are.
    Keep asking questions, lots of support out there and MFP will have people that have similar goals or have traveled the same path.

Good luck
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That is a crazy amount of fiber. I'm not saying that it is causing your weight loss stall but I would not follow that goal. 25 grams of fiber is plenty.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I didn't see it said yet (maybe I missed it). If you're using TDEE, you DO NOT eat back exercise calories. If you are using MFP's NEAT, then you do eat back (some of) your exercise calories.

I'm 5'9, 180, and losing on 1960 per week, so I'd say your numbers aren't too far off. Here's an awesome chart to maybe help you nail down where you can tweak your approach. My first guess would be that you need to buy a food scale and weigh and log everything you eat.

a5dsx9fk4nk2.jpg
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    To answer your specific questions:

Any advice for losing this much weight? - Baby steps. Start with something small. Maybe trade out one soda per day for water. Once that is firmly established, then make one other small change, like committing to getting three vegetables in every day. Once that is firmly established, make another small change. You see where this is going... ;)

Where should I start? - See answer above. Also start by committing to logging everything you eat, and using a food scale. You will be surprised what a true serving of ice cream looks like.

Should I even worry about macros? - Not too much. Your protein looks pretty high. I would maybe set it at 1 gram of protein for each pound of body weight at your goal weight. The generic equation is usually 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.

Should I be doing such intense workouts that build muscle or should I just focus on cardio until my weight is down further??? - I'm not sure what "intense workout that build muscle" means to you. But you should get on a structured lifting program. You will like the composition of your body better when you are at your goal weight. I would suggest Stronglifts 5X5. It's a relatively simple program with only five lifts to learn. Three days per week, about 45 minutes per session, which leaves 2-3 days per week for cardio. I saw awesome results with Stronglifts!!! You can check it out at stronglifts.com. There is an app you can download to track your progress at the gym, as well. Makes it super simple.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You're getting conflicting info from people but I'd say your total calories are low. Everyone above saying your calories are good/possibly high aren't calculating that you're probably burning 100 cals per hour just being alive plus 500-1000 cals through exercise! Being conservative I'd say you're probably burning at least 3,250 cals per day putting you in a 1000 calorie deficit. 30% is too much.

I'm 6', 185lbs, burn about 3500 cals in a day. At one point I was eating about 1750 cals and no weight loss. I had best results when wasn't in an extreme deficit, about 3000-3250 cals. Your body is getting enough nutrition that it's not "hoarding" fat for energy but you're still eating less than you're burning.

Ultimately, I'd say:
    1. Figure out what your TDEE is (Total Daily Energy Expenditure, cals you burn in a 24 hour period. Use a FitBit app etc)
    2. Up your calories to be about 500 below that. I think you need to add about 500 calories and I would add almost all those calories to your carb macro (bump carbs up to about 250g). Fat is good and protein is good, maybe a little on low side but I'd say your carbs are waaaay low. You need carbs to fuel your intense workouts and keep energy level high. Aim to hit your macro categories +/- 5 grams each day.
    3. Stick with these macros for at least 4 weeks. Don't look for a quick response, give it time.
    4. Weigh in once a week at the same time, before eating or drinking (I do every Saturday morning). You'll fluctuate during the week so this gives a better picture.
    5. TAKE PICTURES!!!! Weight doesn't tell the whole story. Your weight might stay the same and you might not feel the incremental progress but when you look back at pictures you'll see a difference.

Hope this helps!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You will not burn 500 calories let alone 1000 cals doing circuits at home.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

i'd love to know where some of these calorie burn come from...

I swam last night - using my polar it gave me 121 cal burnt - MFP tried to tell me 240ish...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I swam last night - using my polar it gave me 121 cal burnt - MFP tried to tell me 240ish...

I think they just come from a random number generator to be honest.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

I think they just come from a random number generator to be honest.

spin a wheel and try to hit a number?
  • gabrielasilva0812
    gabrielasilva0812 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to understand is PATIENCE. I don't know how much weight you want to lose but if it's more than 50lbs then this takes a few months lets say 1lb a week that is 50 weeks almost a year! It's an example really but it depends how committed you are and other factors. If you can't accept that this isn't a fast fix then you aren't prepared. Like you said you'll get frustrated and quit.

The second thing weightless is TRIAL AND ERROR when you do macros and count calories there isn't a formula that is 100% accurate but they are a rough estimate like IIFYM (I'll admit it's pretty close calculator lol). Everyone responds differently to higher carbs:lower protein or higher protein:lower carbs. It's what best fits you and how you feel. You will overwhelm yourself if your eating junk food and the next day you're replacing it all with clean foods and weighing everything to a T. Your body isn't used to it. You need to take baby steps.

The third thing is the HEALTHY MEAL PLAN.... I don't like calling it diets because this how your body functions with carbs, fats, and protein. I don't see how it's a diet when you're eating how you are supposed to. An example would be a person who doesn't pay attention to the nutrition labels....portion sizes......makes errors in thinking something is healthy when it's not (like bread D:)...... the ingredients in these foods are just as important. 100% whole wheat bread sounds healthy right? but look at the ingredients some of those breads are known to have high fructose corn syrup and ingredients you can't pronounce. So my rule is to pick ingredients that you can pronounce and don't take a long page. Another thing is have fun with it! This is food you are cooking yourself. Don't eat something you don't like! I hate sweet potatoes and broccoli so I don't eat it. If you mess up on a day it's okay even a week or two don't quit eventually you will be able to overcome cravings. It took me 78 days(about two months) to lose 5lbs because I was binging on unhealthy foods and my cravings were just bad but today I'm stronger and able to say no to a Pizza without the guilt. The body and mind adapts. You have to give it time. AVOID dumb diets like zero carbs and stuff that just isn't healthy.

The last things are EXERCISE AND THE CALORIE COUNTING. Don't kill yourself at the gym unless you want to be an athlete or you actually like to exercise that much (Not here to judge lol) but when you are that active you are going to have to eat ALOT MORE than a person who is a student that is sedentary and only exercises three times a week. Have you ever thought about visiting a dietician or a certified personal trainer? that can help you construct a meal plan that fits your needs with foods you like. That's a start. I wish I could help you there but myself I struggle too alot of people give so much different information and are always suggesting different ways of doing things it can get confusing. Take baby steps lets say you can start with a healthy breakfast every morning and drinking alot of water. Experiment with different foods and see what you like to eat. As time progresses you'll be eating clean and healthy and the weight will be shedding off. You just have to commit and never quit! :)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Hi Trina and welcome!

Don't overthink this so early on. Set a tiny goal and nail it. Like lose 10 lbs.

Focus on accuracy of calories and literally, nothing else right now. Exercise is a bonus, not a requirement for losing weight. Worry about macros later.

I'm a 61 1" guy and lost with 2300 when I started @ 257 lbs so 2200 (or even a little more) should work well for you.

Good Luck!

This is exactly what I was going to say. Baby steps. :) Don't overwhelm yourself with too much too soon. Set yourself a calorie goal here on MFP and do your best to hit it. Work on new habits one little bit at a time. You can do this!

All the best!
  • TrinaJo4
    TrinaJo4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The calories were calculated on my fit bit. The workout of from beachbody and it is called Core de Force. It is a really good workout and you sweat a ton!! it switches back and forth between a high cardio day and body weight strengh training. I done a few beachbdy workouts and they have all been great.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    TrinaJo4 wrote: »
    The calories were calculated on my fit bit. The workout of from beachbody and it is called Core de Force. It is a really good workout and you sweat a ton!! it switches back and forth between a high cardio day and body weight strengh training. I done a few beachbdy workouts and they have all been great.

Generally, a good rule of thumb is to only eat back 50%-70% of the calories your FitBit gives you for exercise. They frequently overestimate calorie burns.