Peanut Butter

Options
My weakness has always been peanut butter. I can eat the stuff by the bowl. However, it also carries with it a lot of fats/carbs. Does anyone have a suggestion on types/brands of peanut butter that fit well in a daily nutrition plan without killing my fat/carb count. Otherwise, are there any suggestions out there for reasonable alternatives (ie. similar to peanut butter in taste) as a bread spread?

Replies

• robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Its my weakness also! But if you like it, then dont take it away because you will be miserable without it. I do Skippy Natural. Its just peanuts and water! no sugar or anything! just the real thing. go to your grocery store and get the most natural/organic brand you can find!
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers, who is a healthy food nut, swears by almond butter. She says that it tastes good, but has less fat/cals than peanut butter. She eats it on everything! You could also make your own peanut butter so that you at least know that it really is just pure peanuts.. I know Whole Foods has a station where you can grind up your own peanuts, similar to grinding up coffee beans.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE fan of PB2. It's extremely amazing and yet only has 45 cals. I put it into my smoothies in the morning.... but you can also use it for any other PB use. It is powdered, so you add water and make it to your own liking in terms of consistency. I sometimes put it into cool whip, YUM.

Here's a link if you want to learn more.... http://store.bellplantation.com/?Click=30416

I get it at a local nutrition store, but you may need to order directly online.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I love my Jif Natural... it's just like regular Jif but without all the crappy chemicals. I only eat it a few times a week, but I'm super glad I don't have to give it up!!! Plus, it's just peanuts, which are good fats, so no sweat!!!
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have the same weakness, put a teaspoon and a jar of peanut butter in my hand and I can't put it down!! I have swtiched to Almond Butter and Cashew Butter, they're yummy - but I limit myself (I try :laugh: ) to 1 teaspoon in the morning on a rice cake before hitting the gym. :smile:
  • kated930
    kated930 Posts: 132
    Options
    Everyone is talking about PB2, I've heard it's great... I should really try it!

For me, I LOOOOOVE peanut butter. It is my weakness. I would rather spoonfuls of peanut butter over ice cream or cookies!! Oddly, I found that I was craving peanut butter even more once I started dieting and eating cleaner.

I use Better n Peanut Butter and I love it. It's only 100 calories per 2 tablespoons, and 80 % less fat than normal peanut butter.
  • janbottorf
    janbottorf Posts: 12
    Options
    I second the PB2 notion! It's really good, and it's natural as well. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!
    2112540 Posts: 71
    Options
    I agree with pb2!!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter is great as long as it fits in your macro's and cal intake. It's a great source of fat.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Love Trader Joe Almond Butter with Flaxseeds. It is my weakness. Sad to say I have been known to take a small tsp. and add like 2 or 3 dark choc. chips for a added treat!!! I once saw a recipe to take a SF fudgicle, add natural PB and SF cool whip (Yum).
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is one of my biggest weaknesses. After reading about PB2 on here, I decided to try it out. While it doesn't taste nearly as good as the Jiff I grew up on when I eat it plain, I tried it on some toast with bananas today and it was pretty good. It's definitely a good choice for the day-to-day cravings that can add up, but I'll probably sneak the real stuff when I just want a spoonful.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    My weakness has always been peanut butter. I can eat the stuff by the bowl. However, it also carries with it a lot of fats/carbs. Does anyone have a suggestion on types/brands of peanut butter that fit well in a daily nutrition plan without killing my fat/carb count. Otherwise, are there any suggestions out there for reasonable alternatives (ie. similar to peanut butter in taste) as a bread spread?
    I use Skippy Natural. Dumping the sugar out saves some calories. But I'm with you...........I eat PB right out of the jar with a spoon and sometimes go over board. You just have to allot yourself a minimum.
  • sophiessweets
    Options
    Better'n Peanut Butter (lower sodium) is one of my greatest supermarket discoveries. So satisfying!
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers, who is a healthy food nut, swears by almond butter. She says that it tastes good, but has less fat/cals than peanut butter. She eats it on everything! You could also make your own peanut butter so that you at least know that it really is just pure peanuts.. I know Whole Foods has a station where you can grind up your own peanuts, similar to grinding up coffee beans.

Yep, I agree! Almond butter is much healthier (lower in saturated fat) than peanut butter! And, it contains healthy fat! I buy MaraNatha Natural No Stir Almond Butter at the local store but prefer Whole Foods Natural Almond Butter that you actually grind yourself at the store! Fun to make too and no sugar added version is available! Unfortunately, the only Whole Foods store is about 75 miles away so it is a rare treat! It is somewhat high in calories, so you still must use good judgement in terms of eating it in moderation!
  • aprilfiege
    aprilfiege Posts: 28
    Options
    There is a difference between something being high in fat but that doesn't mean it’s fattening. Peanut butter is a good fat like Avocado ... 1 ounce of Avocado contains as much fat as an entire Mcdonald's Big Mac but its not bad fat..... So many people are confused by this. Don't ever feel bad eating peanut butter, its GOOD for your body! However it does contain calories and that is what you should be concerned about with peanut butter. Also, make sure the brand you choose is all natural.