First time using protein (woman)

Options
j_love10
j_love10 Posts: 15 Member
Im completely lost on how to use it when to take it how much to take. Can someone please help me. How much should i take if i weigh 133 and want to be 120. I want to gain muscle in my legs only. ... Does tge protein powder go towards my daily protein amount ? Or is it separate? ... Like if according to the app i over eat protein do i take the protein after my workout or do i skip it? Do i takr it everyday if so how often?! PLEASE HELP!!!

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You don't have to use protein powder at all, but if you do just log it accurately and it will update in your totals. It's not going to do anything magical, like put muscle on your legs or help you to lose weight, and whilst it's a good idea to reach your protein goals you can reach them with ordinary food. I sometimes put protein powder in a smoothie if I'm having a non-meat meal later, just so that I reach my target for the day, but I don't do it often because (for me) it's a waste of calories.
  • crammar
    crammar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just like any other food source and the calories certainly do count towards your total calorie intake just as the protein contributes towards your daily protein intake. You can take it anytime however it's usually recommended to drink it straight after excercising. I sometimes use it as an in between meal "snack" or even a meal replacement. Hope this helps
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What is it you're hoping it will do?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is a food to help you meet your protein macro goal along with all the other food you eat. You can take it at any time and if you have met your protein goal though the rest of your diet you don't need to. As mentioned before, when you add your protein powder to your food diary it will update your protein macros so you know if you need to eat more protein that day. You gain muscle in your legs by meeting your protein goal and lifting weights. Squats and deadlifts are good for legs. But, I think you should reconsider only working your lower body because you will look unbalanced.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 13lbs and gain leg muscle?

What's your calorie intake, protein goal and progressive resistance exercise programme ?

• j_love10
    Options
    What is it you're hoping it will do?

Just want some help w my legs... Ive been exercising for over a year and just cant seem to gain muscle in them and i do leg workouts and cardio... I went from 160 to 124...recently i went up to 133 but i have that body type that only gains weight from the waist up.... Its horrible
  • j_love10
    Options
    Protein powder is a food to help you meet your protein macro goal along with all the other food you eat. You can take it at any time and if you have met your protein goal though the rest of your diet you don't need to. As mentioned before, when you add your protein powder to your food diary it will update your protein macros so you know if you need to eat more protein that day. You gain muscle in your legs by meeting your protein goal and lifting weights. Squats and deadlifts are good for legs. But, I think you should reconsider only working your lower body because you will look unbalanced.

Thank you for the cmmt... The thing is i am unbalanced... I have the body type where i only gain from the waist up. My legs stay skinny... Its super upsetting to me. Because i feel VERY unbalanced
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

What's your calorie intake, protein goal and progressive resistance exercise programme ?

This question still needs answered in order to give helpful advice.

Eat fewer calories than your body uses in a day. Eat enough protein (about 0.8 grams/pound of body weight). Lift heavy, using a progressive lifting program like Stronglifts 5X5.
  • j_love10
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Its set to 1250 and the protein goal on the app says 44g... And program i dk i kinda just wing it lol im not very good at this im thinking... I use alot of the leg machines using 30-50 lb weights and i run 20 min and i spend 12 to 15 min on the stair climber level 6 or 7. I dk if thats what your askin
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    j_love10 wrote: »
    Im completely lost on how to use it when to take it how much to take. Can someone please help me. How much should i take if i weigh 133 and want to be 120. I want to gain muscle in my legs only. ... Does tge protein powder go towards my daily protein amount ? Or is it separate? ... Like if according to the app i over eat protein do i take the protein after my workout or do i skip it? Do i takr it everyday if so how often?! PLEASE HELP!!!

First off, it isn't necessary to take protein. Usually, only one serving of a protein supplement (usually 2 scoops, check your container) per day is enough to get you to your goal. If you take protein powder and then eat chicken or tuna and end up going over your protein goal, it isn't bad. Better to exceed it than to not reach it at all. Most fitness gurus suggest taking protein within 30-45 minutes after a work out, however my opinion is if you get protein in throughout the day on a regular basis and get adequate nutrition then it doesn't really matter. I'd also suggest taking BCAA's intra-workout for protein processing and aid in muscle recovery.

As for only working your bottom half - this is something that a lot of women start off saying. I promise that if you work out your upper half you will NOT get "bulky" or big. If anything, you will change your body composition to look leaner by lifting weights and building muscle. It is HARD to build muscle (especially for women) and those who have huge, "bulky" muscles ate tons of calories and spent a lot of time bulking in order to get that way. You aren't just going to start lifting and gain bulk, especially if you are eating at a deficit.
  • pathawes6881
    pathawes6881 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't wish to discourage you and keep up the good work but, Unfortunately you will find it difficult to put muscle on your legs with your workout, it takes a long time for a man to put significant muscle mass on and it's harder for women. Being in a calorie deficit makes it even harder for your body, if you speak to a bodybuilder (who know what there talking about) or someone training for a sport they will tell you that putting on muscle and losing fat are mutually exclusive unless someone is very overweight, you can do one, not the other, bodybuilders or even powerlifters looking to make a weight class, consume huge amounts of food to support muscle growth and then cut calories right back to lose fat, and they then lose some muscle as well as a lot of strength. You will get more toned and stronger if starting out lifting though. For gaining muscle you need to lift HEAVY (for you) and somewhere between 6-10 reps until you physically can't move the weight, not "oh thats enough reps I'll stop now", this is not recommended unless you've been lifting for a while as your body will require time to adapt to the stress placed on muscles and joints, and crucially it needs nutrients and energy to recover, cardio won't give you bigger legs, the stepper will help tone though. I'd recommend speaking to a personal trainer (not a fitness instructor, the're less qualified) about your training regime, and as a previous poster suggested, do some upper bodywork as well, muscular balance is important, getting results from weight training is hard and is 80% nutrition, 20% working HARD down the gym with a workout that suits you and not a generic cut and paste one.
    Protein for recovery is important, he timing of it doesn't really matter, but it can help those at an elite level so lots of people like to time there intake as well, but I wouldn't worry about it, after exercise is a nice time to take it along with some carbs for glycogen spiking to increase uptake but don't worry too much.
    Protein for losing weight, stick to your macros, you will lose weight.

Sorry for a long post, but the main thing I'd take from my rambling is get some professional training advice from a personal trainer who can look at your training and technique. Good luck.
  • j_love10
    Options
    Thank u! I will take your advice!
    I don't wish to discourage you and keep up the good work but, Unfortunately you will find it difficult to put muscle on your legs with your workout, it takes a long time for a man to put significant muscle mass on and it's harder for women. Being in a calorie deficit makes it even harder for your body, if you speak to a bodybuilder (who know what there talking about) or someone training for a sport they will tell you that putting on muscle and losing fat are mutually exclusive unless someone is very overweight, you can do one, not the other, bodybuilders or even powerlifters looking to make a weight class, consume huge amounts of food to support muscle growth and then cut calories right back to lose fat, and they then lose some muscle as well as a lot of strength. You will get more toned and stronger if starting out lifting though. For gaining muscle you need to lift HEAVY (for you) and somewhere between 6-10 reps until you physically can't move the weight, not "oh thats enough reps I'll stop now", this is not recommended unless you've been lifting for a while as your body will require time to adapt to the stress placed on muscles and joints, and crucially it needs nutrients and energy to recover, cardio won't give you bigger legs, the stepper will help tone though. I'd recommend speaking to a personal trainer (not a fitness instructor, the're less qualified) about your training regime, and as a previous poster suggested, do some upper bodywork as well, muscular balance is important, getting results from weight training is hard and is 80% nutrition, 20% working HARD down the gym with a workout that suits you and not a generic cut and paste one.
    Protein for recovery is important, he timing of it doesn't really matter, but it can help those at an elite level so lots of people like to time there intake as well, but I wouldn't worry about it, after exercise is a nice time to take it along with some carbs for glycogen spiking to increase uptake but don't worry too much.

Sorry for a long post, but the main thing I'd take from my rambling is get some professional training advice from a personal trainer who can look at your training and technique. Good luck.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    or
    http://startingstrength.com/ or

https://www.amazon.com/Strong-Curves-Womans-Building-Better/dp/1936608642

all good progressive resistance programmes focusing on compound lifts using free weights

move on to those

set your protein at 0.8g per lb bodyweight minimum

set your calories at a 250 calorie defecit

once you've hit your goal weight increase to maintenance but keep with the free weights programme and keep upping your weights