Need to lose weight for the wedding!

Options
Hello! So my wedding is in 5 months and I canNOT muster up the motivation to start losing weight. I need to lose about 15-20 pounds. Plus the dress I ordered is about an inch and a half smaller than I currently am :/ Please help with motivation - I keep having to start over and over and I just need to put my nose to the grindstone and get started with a healthy lifestyle! Any tips appreciated.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Just do it, get yourself in a calorie deficit. You have time!
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I did this for the last three years with the last few kilos, just not mustering up the willpower. Then I reflected really intensely, genuinely checked how much I wanted this and how strong my desire is, and decided I'd do this just for myself, give it one more go before giving up, and I seem to have found the willpower.
    Thoroughly examining your reasons, and then surrounding yourself with anything that motivates you, constantly, might do it.

I've put a photo of myself from 4 years ago as my screensaver so anytime I look at my phone it's there. I got married 4 years ago and I was the skinniest ever (had a baby since then and now down to my last 2kg). I felt wonderful that period, and I'm so glad I felt at my most happy on that special day... so I hope you'll find the motivation to kick those kilos to the curb, you'll love feeling comfortable on your wedding day!
  • Flybeetle
    Options
    Also: pre-planning each day to stay under helps! Each morning I book all my meals and snacks and just stick to it. I hardly eat in the morning and leave most of my calories for afternoon/dinner/evening because that's when I struggle the most with cravings. In the morning I just have coffee, then a light lunch and then eat a little something each hour from 3pm to stave off hunger.
    It's not heaps of fun at first but once you have a few successful days under your belt you'll feel empowered!

Perhaps have a photo of your lovely wedding dress up so you can see what you're doing this for?
  • Veebeonit
    Veebeonit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here & trying to look nice in my dress! I'm trying to lose 50 by March! I think I can do it! I just have to get these late night cravings in check!!!
  • Flybeetle
    Options
    Aren't they the worst... It's nighttime here, I'm still hungry but I need to chill out and manage until bedtime...!!!
  • jenfran89
    jenfran89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If it were me, the motivation would be the dress, and the money wasted if I didn't fit in it in 5 months and so had to buy a new one!

Just make small changes, a little every day so it becomes habit.
  • hobbesla4
    hobbesla4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try not to make too many changes at once, or it may overwhelm you. Some changes you can make: Avoid fast food/junk food and eating out at restaurants if possible. Cook your own meals. Try to increase water intake.

Best of luck to you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Only you can motivate yourself, I would have thought the idea of looking fabulous in that dress would be a huge motivation...
    Just start, Take it one day at a time, log all your meals, get a handle on how much you are eating and be more calorie aware... small changes can make all the difference, smaller portions, cutting out an unnecessary snack etc.

Aim to be the best version of you :smile:

All the best.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    An inch and a half isn't much really, I doubt you will need to loose much to fit into it, and the motivation should be "if my wedding pics are me as I am now, will I regret not making a change when I look back at them in the future"? You're the only one who can do that and make the change but as a newish bride I can advise you to not go mad at yourself, you're gunna have enough stress in the next few months without giving your own body agro too!
  • amobailar
    amobailar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in 9 months; I need to lose about 30 pounds and in the same boat as you are. You'd think the fact that I'm getting married in less than a year would be motivation enough but it's not. I think mostly, my brain is just too overwhelmed with not just the wedding but life in general that it's hard to focus on any one thing. I think focusing on taking time for me is the first step, maybe it can be the first step for you too.
  • amyann__
    amyann__ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 20-30 lbs for my wedding in 4 months but I'm having a hard time too. I was yoyo low carb dieting so that messed me up and i have spent the last month trying to go back to normal eating and starting yesterday am working on exercising everyday and sticking to my calories. We will see if it works.