How to lose weight when you don't need a lot of calories to start with

Options
Does anyone have any tips? I want to lose 1-2lbs per week. MFP advise 1200 called per day. 1 month later, 1lb lost. I do exercise 3x a week.
Here's my problem... I'm 5 ft & 9st. My needs are 1600 per day & you need to cut 500 per day for 1lb. This means I'll go below the 1200 healthy basic.
Is this basically saying I need to build in 500-1000 cal worth of exercise per day to achieve my goal, and not eat back the calories?

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I think you need to change your goals down to a more realistic 0.5-1lb a week, that will give you the 1200 Calories base and then extra activity will either mean more Calories to eat or a slightly quicker rate of loss.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    I think you need to change your goals down to a more realistic 0.5-1lb a week, that will give you the 1200 Calories base and then extra activity will either mean more Calories to eat or a slightly quicker rate of loss.

^^this

You don't mention what your current weight is, but if 1600 is your needs each day at your current height (where did this number come from, anyway?), then it sounds like you don't have too much left to lose. A 1000 calorie deficit, no matter how you achieve it, is going to be way too aggressive (not to mention likely unsustainable, as it will take a lot of exercise each day to burn such a high calorie amount...and if you're already in a healthy weight range to begin with, your calorie burns aren't going to be very high.). To minimize muscle loss and other issues, it's better to be more patient and lose .5/wk at this point.
    Or maybe a body recomp might be worth looking into instead...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A short person can't lose at the same rate, amount-wise, as a tall person. But that's not a problem, because you can lose just as fast percentage-wise. The only limitations to fat loss is the amount of fatty tissue you have, and your adherance to the (optimal) calorie deficit (maximum fat loss, minimal lean mass loss). You are already at a healthy weight, so any loss will be slow - 0.5 pounds per week on average, is realistic.

MFP's setup is terrible, and it can seem like you have to choose between preset rates, but the calorie deficit and thus your loss, can be set in whatever increment you choose.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but it's good for you and can add to the calorie deficit, as long as you don't overdo it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say your goal is a bit too aggressive.
    At 5', 126lbs and a basic maintenance of 1600 cals, you would probably do best eating at a .5 -.75lbs a week loss and upping your daily activity.

If you do decide to exercise eat back a portion of your calories as you will burn out trying to exercise on a lower calorie goal.

I would also recommend using a food scale for all food as your going to have a low margin of error.

I am 5'1 and started at 130. I ate 1200 calories and about 150-200 earned from exercise. It was slow going but I reached my goal eventually.

Cheers, h.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    If 1600 is maintenance and you eat 1200 that's a deficit of 400 cal's a day, that's a pretty good deficit! I only do a deficit of 300 for myself. There's no rush here- just start with this and see how it goes. You WILL lose. And you might even lose more than the predicted amount that this rate gives you due to the fact that water is lost too not just fat. The calories calculations only take into account the fat loss alone.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft also and 9 1/2 stone. My net calories are set at 1500. I accept that I am going to lose slowly. 1-2lb a week is WAY WAY too aggressive especially considering you are barely overweight.

you current weight loss rate of 1lb a month actually sounds about right.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Firstly, when you are light and have a low TDEE, you need to set a lower weight loss goal. Secondly, if you can't eat less then exercise more.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I am.5ft too and lost weight from 140 to 94lbs. (10st to 6st 10) I averaged 1100 cals a day without exercise. In the uk the minimum is 1000 not 1200 according to my Dr. I lost at a rate of about 1lb per week and 0.5 near the end.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I think its very important not to eat less than your BMR, preferably a few hundred calories over it.
    As long as you are in a deficit most days below your TDEE you will lose weight steadily.
    As there mentioned fast weight loss isn't as maintainable as steady loss for a lot of good reasons.
    Best wishes on attaining your health and weight loss goals! :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I think its very important not to eat less than your BMR, preferably a few hundred calories over it.
    As long as you are in a deficit most days below your TDEE you will lose weight steadily.
    As there mentioned fast weight loss isn't as maintainable as steady loss for a lot of good reasons.
    Best wishes on attaining your health and weight loss goals! :)

How do you recommend calculating ones BMR?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You don't have much to lose so aim for 0.5lb a week (you want to minimise muscle loss along with the fat loss). Ideally you don't want to net much below 1200 calories so when you exercise you need to eat some of your exercise calories back. I am 2" taller and lost 0.5lb a week eating 1600-1850 calories, I am active but even on sort of sedentary days I wouldn't have eaten less than 1600 calories. (My maintenance TDEE is 2000-2100)
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 1600, you've been eating 1200 and have only lost a pound in a month then I'd take a really hard and honest look at my logging. Chances are overwhelming you need to tighten that up. Are you weighing everything and accurately logging?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »

^^this

You don't mention what your current weight is, but if 1600 is your needs each day at your current height (where did this number come from, anyway?), then it sounds like you don't have too much left to lose. A 1000 calorie deficit, no matter how you achieve it, is going to be way too aggressive (not to mention likely unsustainable, as it will take a lot of exercise each day to burn such a high calorie amount...and if you're already in a healthy weight range to begin with, your calorie burns aren't going to be very high.). To minimize muscle loss and other issues, it's better to be more patient and lose .5/wk at this point.
    Or maybe a body recomp might be worth looking into instead...

Oops, just realized I read OP's height as 5'9", instead of 5" tall and weighing 9 stone. Oh well..
  • laura004119
    laura004119 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help, especially those of you who have similar needs. I think managing expectations is obviously a key part & maybe I was relying a little too much in MFPs algorithm... If it had said what you are I wouldn't have felt so disappointed!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips? I want to lose 1-2lbs per week. MFP advise 1200 called per day. 1 month later, 1lb lost. I do exercise 3x a week.
    Here's my problem... I'm 5 ft & 9st. My needs are 1600 per day & you need to cut 500 per day for 1lb. This means I'll go below the 1200 healthy basic.
    Is this basically saying I need to build in 500-1000 cal worth of exercise per day to achieve my goal, and not eat back the calories?
    So based on your info, you're a female in about the 180lbs range. That 1600 would be just to maintain your weight if you laid in bed all day. Now add in your daily physical activity (walking to the car, around work and house) and your own exercise, that burn will go up to 2000 or more. Having to high of a deficit reduces your resting metabolic rate which helps to reduce weight loss.
    Find out what your TDEE is and eat 500 less calories from it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So based on your info, you're a female in about the 180lbs range. That 1600 would be just to maintain your weight if you laid in bed all day. Now add in your daily physical activity (walking to the car, around work and house) and your own exercise, that burn will go up to 2000 or more. Having to high of a deficit reduces your resting metabolic rate which helps to reduce weight loss.
    Find out what your TDEE is and eat 500 less calories from it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I believe the OP is 126lbs. She weighs 9 stone.

OP, you are small. You are an efficient package...so you need less 'gas' to get your body going. This means you have to take the slow route.

I took a guess at your age (in your 20s), so you're only marginally overweight. I would suggest taking the -.5lb/week route as you will preserve more muscle this way and risk doing damage to your internal organs.

ETA: Have you taken a look into strength training? That may also help you shape your body without having to drop a lot weight wise.