New tattoo and the gym?

Options
Hi everyone,

I just got a tattoo on my forearm yesterday and I'm wondering how long you typically wait before heading back to the gym? Or if you wait at all?

Replies

• Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't have tatoos but my husband does. He waits 2 - 3 weeks before swimming to ensure time to healing. No need to wait for the rest of the gym. Cardio & lifting shouldn't affect it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my old gym partner would wait a couple weeks when he had his sleeve worked on
  • MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm sleeved and also have most of my right leg. I highly recommend waiting a week before going back to the gym because the skin is still broken and staph, among other bacterias that could screw you up, love to live in gyms.

Antibacterial soap and unscented lotion my friend.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm back the next day after a tattoo. I had a quarter sleeve done last year and I'd just wear a long sleeve shirt to protect it for a few days after each session. It was annoying because I usually wear a tank top, but it was fine.

I'd also wash it as soon as I got home.

That tattoo had multiple sessions and I have other tattoos. I have never had a problem with the healing process.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Put some cling-wrap on it and wear a long sleeve over it. Wash it immediately when you get home. Keeping it clean is the key when it's healing.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I waited a week, at least until the skin has fully protected itself.
    The tattoo is there for life, just not worth risking it for the sake of a few days in my opinion.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I am moderately to heavily tattooed depending on who's judging. I would personally stay away.

Your gym is full of MRSA and other nasties, not to mention other gym users don't want your weepy ooze or flaky skin all over the equipment.

Wait until it's healed.

A healthy looked after tattoo will heal in 2-3weeks max.

An infected cellulitic tattoo contaminated by some skanky half wiped down with a sweaty towel bit of equipment could be ruined or even leave you in hospital on IV antibiotics to clear an infection.

You've committed this tattoo to your body for life. Commit a couple of weeks to proper aftercare and healing.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Depends, what are you going to be working on while at the gym and how fast you heal. At least wait until everything is done oozing. Wash before, apply aquaphor, go to gym, come home and wash.
  • MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Please DO NOT EVER put any sort of plastic wrap over a tattoo with the exception of the hour directly post tattooing. You will sweat out your ink and trap in bacteria.