Need support

Options
Hi everyone. I started my journey in Sept 2016. I began kind of working with a trainer. She has taught me a lot about food and fitness. I work out with her, along with a small group of people, twice a week. I also workout at the gym when I'm not with her (2-3 times a week). She has truly helped me begin this long progress. I have been doing fairly well I suppose. The biggest difference is in pictures, measurements, and how I feel. The scale doesn't represent my progress as much (it fluctuates from 5-11 pounds lost). I have tracked my meals for 80 days! Never ever thought I would. I feel that I have had way more good days then bad. I ever created an Instagram account to document my journey! Anyways, i signed up for only 12 weeks with her and it is almost coming to an end. So I have decided to continue with her until May 2017. I am not ready to workout alone.

I have been feeling so close to giving up at times. I never realized the mental aspects of this journey. One day, I am so happy with my progress and then others I am not and feel I am never going to be where I want to be. I keep telling myself to keep going though. Does anyone else experience/d this?

Replies

• WW1984
    WW1984 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You're not alone in your feelings!

According to the Body Mass Index (BMI), I was considered OBESE. As a result, I became obsessed with losing weight which led to a LIFESTYLE CHANGE!

My obsession started with changing my mindset. My motto about food now is "EAT TO LIVE, NOT LIVE TO EAT". I'm 46 years old at 4'11" and my weight loss journey is as follows:

SW 145.6 lbs on 9/17/2016 (BMI = Obese)
    CW 128.4 lbs as of 12/4/2016 (BMI = Overweight)
    UW 105 lbs by 2/20/2017 (BMI = Desirable Weight). But I will settle for 112 lbs (BMI = Desirable Weight) by that date and will continue to work towards my UW goal.

MY STRUGGLE IS REAL!!! But since changing my mindset, MFP has become an obsession for me when tracking my meals and macros. Although I meet, exceed or don't meet some of my macros; I'm still losing an average of 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. Consequently, my weight loss has been slow and steady which is the best way. Replacing coffee to include cream and sugar with oolong and green tea (+ 1 tbs honey & lemon juice) has helped a lot as well as following this simple and most effective rule: 80% Clean Diet + 20% Moderate Exercise = WEIGHT LOSS!

Last, I've learned that there are no shortcuts! Creating a calorie deficit (through moderate calorie restriction and increase in physical activity) is the only way to lose weight. Any plan that does not require sacrifice is unrealistic and leads to failure!

Since the beginning of my LIFESTYLE CHANGE, I've gone from a size 9 to a size 6. My ULTIMATE goal is to get back into a size 2.

YOU CAN AND WILL SUCCEED! :)<3
  • sanjeetchowdhury
    Options
    Anything is possible. Anyone can be fit. Just think of the the things you gained until now. See what u achieved, believe me when you see backwards. Any photo from the past , it will make you to go further up. Just keep sticking on the diet.
    Add me if you want
    Even i am on the journey since September and have lost around 8 kgs uptil today.
    If i can do it . Anyone can do it. There is nothing that can stop u.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    All totally normal feelings.

I also had a trainer to start and we did 2 sessions a week together for many months, then 1 per week, then 1 every other week, and soon to finally end it because I can't afford it anymore and to be honest I have much more effective workouts on my own now than with her because we talk a lot
  • toddtyrtle
    toddtyrtle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. There are peaks and valleys in one's performance and also your feelings as well. I'm in the the same situation. I'd venture to say that most people are in one way or another.

Something to keep in mind: Just because you think it doesn't mean it's true. We all have that inner voice that wants to take us down a peg or two but just because it is coming from us doesn't mean that it knows any better than that mean person in high school did. So just acknowledge it, know that this is a bad day and move on. Less an internal argument and more of a "Oh yeah, this guy again..."

The other trap I'd really advise trying to avoid - and it's a big one for me is the "what the hell" trap. If you feel like you've done poorly - didn't exercise right, didn't eat right, both, this is not an indication of a trend or an excuse to just let go completely. ("Well, I didn't run today so what the hell, I'll just eat this cake - I failed already anyway). Realize that you make mistakes but you're also learning and getting stronger in the process. In the end you want to trend toward better, not immediately reach perfection. Nobody does that.
  • Aud66
    Aud66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to keep going, don't give up. My journey has been long, sometimes I do great, then I stall, progress stops. I sometimes sabotage myself, but I have not given up.

• berealx
    berealx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    toddtyrtle wrote: »
    Completely normal. There are peaks and valleys in one's performance and also your feelings as well. I'm in the the same situation. I'd venture to say that most people are in one way or another.

Something to keep in mind: Just because you think it doesn't mean it's true. We all have that inner voice that wants to take us down a peg or two but just because it is coming from us doesn't mean that it knows any better than that mean person in high school did. So just acknowledge it, know that this is a bad day and move on. Less an internal argument and more of a "Oh yeah, this guy again..."

The other trap I'd really advise trying to avoid - and it's a big one for me is the "what the hell" trap. If you feel like you've done poorly - didn't exercise right, didn't eat right, both, this is not an indication of a trend or an excuse to just let go completely. ("Well, I didn't run today so what the hell, I'll just eat this cake - I failed already anyway). Realize that you make mistakes but you're also learning and getting stronger in the process. In the end you want to trend toward better, not immediately reach perfection. Nobody does that.

Thank you for sharing. I am finding the mental battle the hardest.