Running Shoes??????

ohthatbambi
ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
edited September 18 in Fitness and Exercise
I am having some problems with the balls of my feet aching during running/cycling. I have bought two different pair of shoes, bought gel inserts and still having problems.

Any suggestions from you runners out there for some foot relief?

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    I am having some problems with the balls of my feet aching during running/cycling. I have bought two different pair of shoes, bought gel inserts and still having problems.

Any suggestions from you runners out there for some foot relief?
  • dirka1
    dirka1 Posts: 6 Member
    Your running shoes should be one size bigger than you normally wear so as you run your foot has room to swell and still get some good circulation. So I wear a size 6.5 shoe but my running shoes are 7.5. Something else you might try is lacing them different. Like skip every other eye or just skip the middle one or don't lace the very last one or the very first one. It is something you will just have to play around with. Another thing I did was go find a running store & they have lots of helpful ideas & can give you some help with the shape of your foot. Keep running & GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    dirka is right. You need to make sure your feet aren't bumched. My already larg size 9's are in a comfortable size 10 Brooks Addiction 7. I love Brooks and go through 2-3 pairs a year.

I would look for a running store (specialty shop) that has enough equipment to do a run test (a treadmill is a good sign) and people who are trainied to judge gate. They will be the best people to help you find the right shoe for you!

Best of luck!
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Same here, got my shoes at a specialty running store. I wear a size 9 and my running shoes are a 10.5 Asics.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    If you have had children you may need a mens running shoe. The balls of my feet got wider during pregnancy and now for exercise I wear a mens shoe because the toe is wider, I too also wear a 1/2 to a full size larger (depending on brand) for running.

Another tip is to make sure you are running correctly, if you are running for long amounts of time or distance you need to run heel toe not just on the toes. Short distance running is mostly toes for speed. So in other words jogging long distances require the same foot action as walking only faster...obviously.
  • Go to a specialty running store. Often times, they will watch you run and pick out shoes for you based on that. I had the same problem and went to Fleet Feet where they picked out an excellent pair for me. Pricey, but no more pain!
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    If you can, go to a running specialty store. It's really worth the price, especially your first time getting shoes. They will normally do a gait analysis (sometimes taped so you can see it too), and assess how your feet hit the ground, which will help you find the right shoe (for pronating, supinating, etc.). After determining what kind of shoes work for you, usually you can try them on and run around outside to see how they fit.

Seriously, I did it and have never regretted it. My shoes fit great and I never had a "breaking-in" period. They just fit.
  • ohthatbambi
    I am not sure we have a running store here but I will certainly look into it. We are not far from Atlanta so if I have to I will make the drive over. Thanks for the advice!
  • It is definitely worth making the trip to go to a store...
  • ohthatbambi
    Well until I can find the time to get to a running store I took some of your advice and changed how I laced my shoes...BRILLIANT!! What a difference that made!! And who would have thought????!!! I did 45 minutes on the upright bike and then ran on the treadmill for another 45 minutes and NO foot pain! I can' t begin to tell you how happy this makes me b/c it was really making me get off earlier than I really wanted to.

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS for the advice! My feet say thanks too!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.