Every Time I Step on the Scale....

Options
Hi all,

We'll I'm not one for obsessing over a number on a scale, but I do occasionally (every couple months) step on the scale to see where I'm at. In the last few years it has been a new record high every time.

I don't know what has happened to me, but in the last 5 years I have lost the motivation to maintain a healthy diet. I know what's healthy, I LOVE cooking and eating healthy and local, but I have a compulsion to binge eat on terrible food.

Formerly I trained 5-6 days a week at a boxing gym, and I have lost the motivation to exercise consistently due to the fact that I'm not seeing any progress with working out. I just eat too much. I see a counselor and have been able to manage my drinking...food remains a constant problem.

I'm not inactive. I enjoy working out. I run, box, do crossfit, swim and do yoga. Food is my problem and I'm looking for a little help staying motivated. I am terrified I'm going to be sick and immobile in my old age.

I'm 35 years old, 5'9, and just weighed in at 278 pounds. Just two years ago I was 220. Two years before that I was 190. Needing help, feeling defeated.

Looking for more buddies, feel free to friend me!

Replies

• sagoa
    sagoa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey toesinarow, I feel the same way these days about my body weight. I have worked out 5 times a week of cardio. I don't see much result in exercising.
  • toesinarow
    toesinarow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. It's extremely disheartening to work so hard and not see the progress! Of course, I always notice I'm stronger and more fit, but it's hard to stay on the bright side when you never see the pounds coming off!

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    As the old saying goes, "You can't out-train a bad diet". Read this excellent post by SideSteel (first post in the thread), it's probably the best, most comprehensive post ever made on MFP as a guide to new users: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • WW1984
    WW1984 Posts: 145 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    According to the Body Mass Index (BMI), I was considered OBESE. As a result, I became obsessed with losing weight which led to a LIFESTYLE CHANGE! There's nothing wrong with obsession as long as it doesn't become harmful.

My obsession started with CHANGING MY MINDSET. My motto about food now is "EAT TO LIVE, NOT LIVE TO EAT". I'm 46 years old at 4'11" and my weight loss journey is as follows:

SW 145.6 lbs on 9/17/2016 (BMI = Obese)
    CW 128.4 lbs as of 12/4/2016 (BMI = Overweight)
    UW 105 lbs by 2/20/2017 (BMI = Desirable Weight). But I will settle for 112 lbs (BMI = Desirable Weight) by that date and will continue to work towards my UW goal.

MY STRUGGLE IS REAL!!! But since changing my mindset, MFP has become an obsession for me when tracking my meals and macros. Although I meet, exceed or don't meet some of my macros; I'm still losing an average of 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. Consequently, my weight loss has been slow and steady which is the best way. Replacing coffee to include cream and sugar with oolong and green tea (+ 1 tbs honey & lemon juice) has helped a lot as well as following this simple and most effective rule: 80% Clean Diet + 20% Moderate Exercise = WEIGHT LOSS!

Last, I've learned that there are no shortcuts! Creating a calorie deficit (through moderate calorie restriction and increase in physical activity) is the only way to lose weight. Any plan that does not require sacrifice is unrealistic and leads to failure! So one way to do this is to "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper".

Since the beginning of my LIFESTYLE CHANGE, I've gone from a size 9 to a size 6. My ULTIMATE goal is to get back into a size 2.

YOU CAN AND WILL SUCCEED! :)<3
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Have you tried measuring instead of weighing, your weight gain could be due to muscle building instead of weight I know a lot of people workout but see the results in inches rather than in your weight.

I feel the same way, I count calories like fiend, I workout at least 5 times a week but I barely lose a half a pound at the end of the week, it really is disheartening. But I refuse to give up even if it take me forever to get to my
    goal.

you may have to make some adjustments somewhere probably in your food
  • SexyAngelRissa
    SexyAngelRissa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel the same just started measuring and instead of weighing cause i would weigh like every week. Now getting back into the swing of things started back exercising today. Hoping the motivation keeps up.
  • toesinarow
    Options
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    Have you tried measuring instead of weighing, your weight gain could be due to muscle building instead of weight I know a lot of people workout but see the results in inches rather than in your weight.

I feel the same way, I count calories like fiend, I workout at least 5 times a week but I barely lose a half a pound at the end of the week, it really is disheartening. But I refuse to give up even if it take me forever to get to my
    goal.

you may have to make some adjustments somewhere probably in your food

Oh yes, totally aware of that. I worked trained for many years and was in great shape. But when my eating got out of control I started gaining, and gaining....and gaining while still working it the same. Now while I do still exercise and love it I can't stick with a routine. It seems so futile without getting my eating under control.
  • toesinarow
    Options
    Thanks for the insight and support all! If anyone else struggles with obesity and compulsive eating due to stress etc, please feel free to friend me. I know how to lose weight...it's not so much the practical knowledge I'm looking for, but support with the emotional aspect of food addiction/compulsion and some help and motivation dealing with that. And vice versa. Love to hear people's stories!