Protein and muscle retention

Options
I've noticed my protein intake is really low. If I increase my intake this will help me to lose less muscle as I lose weight correct?

Also other than meat fish what is your go to protein source?

Replies

• Deebaby12
    Deebaby12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Correct! Do you eat eggs? Those are good sources of protein. I have oikos yogurts as snacks, they have 15g of protein and are a light snack. Add in things like cheese and nuts also work. Most people swear by eggs though. personally, I hate them!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Protein powders, Greek yogurt, eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, some ice cream (special versions or frozen yogurt). For vegetarians there are plenty of beans, lentils, etc. with plant-based protein. Milk is another source. Me, personally, I drink a protein shake made from whey isolate every day, then eat as much meat as necessary to round out my macros.
  • VainMommy
    VainMommy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks a ton! Yes I do eat eggs and I'll be buying some Greek yogurt. I also have plant based protein powders. I'm not vegetarian so you'd think protein wouldn't be a big issue. Im going to be much more aware of my protein intake (eating grilled chicken right now) I'm losing weight but things are getting a bit --- saggy :|

Thanks again
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yes! If you get your protein intake up to ~0.8-1.2 g/lb of lean body weight, you will have better muscle retention as you diet down in weight to remove body fat. Also, doing a good amount of resistance training/weight lifting will help you to retain (and build some) muscle as you diet down.

Lots of good suggestions above for sure. Of course, the easiest way to get more protein is increase your lean meat consumption. Whey protein supplements are great too, but don't use them too much. They are SUPPLEMENTS ;)

• VainMommy
    VainMommy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I met my protein goal today of 20%!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread for info about protein sources - it links to a spreadsheet that lists foods according to their protein efficiency, basically in order based on which give you the most protein for the fewest calories.

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Yes it's extremely important to consume adequate protein while in a caloric deficit to prevent muscle loss. It would also help to do strength exercises (when you use your muscles your body prioritizes using body fat for energy and keeping the muscle, provided you consume enough protein for adequate muscle repair).

I aim for about 100 grams per day. Everyone's needs are a little different though so you can do some research on how much is right for you.

Good protein sources other than meat and fish:
    Eggs
    Egg whites
    Yogurt
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Protein powder (I like chocolate flavor whey protein concentrate mixed with coconut water to make a nice protein shake)
    Lentils
    Beans
    Tofu
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian either but I also had a hard time eating enough protein for most of my life! I eat meat but I don't like it in very large quantities- I can only eat about 2 ounces at a sitting, and I used to have it only once or twice a day. I wasn't even getting half the daily requirement of protein! But then I learned how important it was for weight loss and weight lifting. I now incorporate a lot of non-meat protein sources in my diet and can really tell the benefits!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Study shown on the bbc regarding this showed no long term effect of increased protein and muscle retention. The thing that worked best was weight resistance exercises. I dont worry too much about it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Sufficient protein and progressive resistance training is the best way to retain muscle mass.