Is there a right weight to start P90X?

Options
rafor
rafor Posts: 78 Member
Is there a minimum weight that you guys think would be best to get to before starting P90X? I've been planning on getting it but I didn't want to get in over my head. I've lost 44 pounds so far and I don't see any chance of stopping there but I definitely want to look the best I can. My current plan is to get down under 200 before starting a hardcore workout system like P90X but would it be better to start it sooner?

SW - 294 4/3/11
CW - 250 7/15/11
GW - 180 1/1/12

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No weight should not be a factor, but fitness level is. P90X comes with a fit test that they suggest you be able to pass prior to starting the program. Many people start without meeting these requirements but they have to modify many of the moves, which they show you in the video.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I was wondering this too! I wanted to start Insanity bc my sister has been doing it for a year and won't shut up about it. I told her I would start it once I got to 200lbs. Well I only have 15lbs to go but I am scared I won't be able to do it and get discouraged.
  • TigerBlood72
    TigerBlood72 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I weigh more than you and I'm 6'3". I have no problems with it. I think you will love it.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Nearly all of the exercises and moves in P90X have modifications depending on your level of fitness. Each one of the models in the group will perform it differently so you can see. If you get winded, hit pause. No shame in that. Your strength will increase crazy fast with the program even if you don't see visible changes right away. I say go for it - right now!
  • rafor
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I'm getting to where I know I could start jogging regularly and I probably should. I know that would kick my weight loss up to a 10.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would say it's not weight as much as overall fitness level. They have a fit test you are *suposed* to be able to pass b/f you begin, but you can always modify most of the moves, and work up to doing them Tony's way. Good luck!!! Some of the fit test requirements were jumping jacks for 2 minutes, wall squat for 1 min, be able to do a pull/chin up (which I can not do without assist) sit on the floor and be able to touch your toes.....just make sure you can handle some cardio and have some flexibility....Good luck with whatever you decide to do! It is a great program whenever you decide to do it!!!!
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Most people start out with Power 90 to get your body use to the routine before jumping into P90X...
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    I started at 250 and was able to finish it! I don't see a reason why you couldn't start it. Just modify all the moves to fit your fitness level.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can modify a lot of exercises in this program. So you can start whenever you want to.
    But experiment with the high impact exercises to see if your joints can handle them.
    For pull-ups go for the resistance bands or chair assists.
    For push-ups do them on your knees and go as deep as you can.
    Keep the form don't bend your knees use lighter weights and up them if you see that they are too easy.
    Listen to Tony he constantly tells you these things.
    Press pause if you need to.
    And don't expect miracles the program is as good as you bring it and follow the nutrition plan but adjust it to your real needs and not the numbers you see on the charts.
    Good luck!
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Agreed - If you get winded, pause, catch your breath, modify the moves if needed. If you arent doing any weight training now theres no reason not to start, you will likely see your gains (or better put decreases/success) accelerated.

It's a great program and the cardio isnt that intense, so if you arent doing any cardio at the moment either, its a good way to warm up to that as well. The ply routine is the most difficult one, but just keep up where you can and you will improve over time. The key is to know your limits, but to push past them...you have to want it!

Good luck!
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started my first round of P90X at age 37 and 326 lbs/ 32%BF (I'm 6'4''). When I watched the P90X infomercial, I wished that I looked like the "before" pictures. I was unable to walk a flight of stairs without breathing heavy. It was all I could do to get through the warm-up of the Plyometrics (cardio) workout. "Do your best and forget the rest". My experience and my opinion says go ahead, do what you can. Each workout you do, try to do a little more than you did last time. I dropped 60lbs my first 90 days using P90X and diet. After 3 rounds, I was 234 lbs/ 12% BF. P90X changed my life!
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any set weight or fitness level needed to start it. I found it very easy to modify, and I agree that the cardio really isn't that hard (with the exception of the plyo).
  • rafor
    Options
    We have the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD and I have been doing that off and on. Should I get to where I can do all the levels on that and then move on to P90X? Might be a decent step up...
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The beauty of P90X is that most of the moves are easily modified. It is a difficult progam....I'm in great shape and some days even I have to hit pause (Mostly on Plyometric day, that dvd is a BEAST). My point is, and even Tony will tell you multiple times throughout the workout, if you need to hit pause...do it. He gives you water breaks and tells you to extend them a few seconds if you need to. I say as long as weight is the only concern and you don't have any medical issues that are preventing you from working out hard, then there's no better time than right now! Go for it!
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a right weight for starting P90X. For me, I am also a 5'9" guy and I am in my 2nd week, but I started with Power 90 first because I hadn't exercised regularly in a while. I used that to get in better shape and used to doing a 6 days per week program. I started Power 90 at 219 lbs and dropped 21 lbs and improved my fitness level. As a result, P90X has been more managable while still kicking my butt. For me, I felt it helped me to do Power 90 first to prepare myself physically and mentally to take on P90X.
  • rafor
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I can't wait to order P90X and when I do, you better believe you will see me giving updates.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Insanity is much harder to do heavier...P9)X is not as cardio intense...but I started it around 190 ( I am 5'5") and the 1st couple weeks were a struggle but I saw amazing results!~