Caffeine addiction

Options
Within the past few months I had developed a McDonalds "Cafe Mocha" addiction- just realized last week that it helped put 5 lbs back on which is why I ran to the computer and got back on this site. Anyway, I had not had any for a week and yesterday I got stressed due to a horrible test I took at school and practically ran to McDonalds to get one. About fifteen- twenty minutes after finishing this, I started getting shaky, head started hurting and just overall felt like crap. I realized why I have been feeling so sluggish and overall bad for the past months was the coffee and caffeine--- has anyone else experienced this when giving up (or going back to) caffeine? I would appreciate the input...... Thanks and have a great day :)

Replies

• LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut back my caffeine as well. I usually drink a 6-cup pot of coffee by myself on week days before heading to work and then around 3pm I "have" to have a coke (Vanilla Zero). I'm trying to reduce the number of cups of coffee in the morning, to see if that helps with running on my lunch hour. This is only Day2, so we'll see how it goes. Right now, my first cup is almost empty and I guess luckily, I'm too sluggish to get up and refill it.

I was thinking the same thing, though, that I am more sluggish later in the day when I drink more coffee.
  • jillwm
    jillwm Posts: 21
    Options
    Coffee seems to be the only thing I can't give up, so yes :-)

I even quit smoking but I'm not able to stay away from coffee. But the one thing I never do, is drink coffee with milk or cream. I always keep my coffee black and add some Sweet N' Low to get it sweeter. Caffeine can actually raise your metabolism so I'm keeping my 3-4 cups (5-6.....) a day :)

Also sucker for diet cola so yeah - I'm an addict.
  • bethy0316
    bethy0316 Posts: 75
    Options
    About two years ago I cut caffeine completely from my diet and found that after a few days of headaches I felt GREAT. Slept better at night and had more energy during the day.

Since then I have added caffeine back full force ... I drink more coffee than imaginable every morning, but try to only drink water the rest of the day.

I know exactly what you mean ... and after reading your post, am honestly considering quitting caffeine again cold turkey ... a few days of headaches is worth the positive effects.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that. I could not survive without my caffeine. Have you tried making a fancy yet healthy version of this at home? I always drink my coffee with sugar free coffee syrups and a splash of sugar free creamer. Hits the spot.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Yep. Caffeine withdrawl...I gave up caffeine for Lent 3 years ago and I had the worst headaches for a week. I now keep it to two coffees a day. Either a coffee with cream or a triple espresso over ice. No...I never add flavors or sweetners. I know that when you start back with any caffeine...your body will have to readjust to injesting it...so you'll be shaky and your heart rate might be a little crazy. Caffeine is a drug...addictive and will have similar side effects to alcohol and cigs. You can build up a tolerance as well. Best of luck....IMO, you should switch to good home brewed coffee with no sugars or flavors. It'll cut calories and you'll be able to appriciate the true coffee flavor profile.
  • FatGirlSlim89
    Options
    I have a terrible caffeine addiction. I have tried to kick it before, but I get a week of unbearable migraines, sometimes being sick, shaking, etc- the full whack. Also for me the groggy feeling never goes away, I just treat myself to 1 cup a day now. Never go cold turkey, gradually reduce is the advice i'd give!
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes to both totally. When I gave up drinking coffee I felt exhausted in the mornings and sluggish but after a week or two I started to feel a lot better and also my running times improved.
    Since I have gone back to drinking only one coffee per day, but even that seems to have a negative effect. Caffeine is definitely addictive, too much coffee makes me shaky too just as you describe.
    I am definitely going back to a no coffee lifestyle even though I like my morning coffee
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    I quit my 6 pack a morning of Diet Dew habit one time. I felt AWFUL! I was tired and felt nauseous all the time - my Dr. told me that if I cut that to TWO cans of Diet Dew I would probably feel better and he was right - I now do that every day instead. If I do not, I get a MAJOR headache and get VERY crabby -even my family knows that I have to have the caffeine or get AWAY!

With your mocha's I would think the sugar would be causing the shakes thing - nothing like a sugar buzz :) the crash really sux tho!

The key is moderation - if you know it's a stress trigger - look for an alternative - go for a walk or a bike ride or just plain lock yourself in a room of quiet solitude and let yourself truly relax until the craving passes.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    totally correct!! I gave up dr pepper and mcdonalds cafe mocha....had one the other day , thought i was going to have a heart attack!!....I asked the trainer about it....he said once you cut down and then drink alot you will feel that way......also said you will crash when you burn it off (hence the feeling sluggish feeling)......
  • mleipe
    mleipe Posts: 54
    Options
    I had a bit of a health scare about 12 years ago that motivated me to give up caffeine completely.

I've quit smoking and I've quit caffeine and I can honestly say that over-all giving up the caffeine made me feel better, at least once the addiction had passed.

There are some delicious herbal teas out there - you might want to try some of them. I also enjoy decaf green tea, Tetley makes a good one.

Hang in there, this is something that's well worth kicking.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I gave up caffeine for a while and after the headaches, dizziness and feeling like crap I felt much better. I now only drink 1 Diet Dr. Pepper twice a week. I came to the conclusion that I can still have it but not the excess where I am dependent on it.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I give up my coffee at least twice a year--to prove to my husband that I'm not addicted to it (I'm in denial--the severe headaches I get the first 4 days after doing so proves this addiction!!) I do it though to cleanse my system. And when I do return to my 1-2 6oz cup of coffee in the mornings, that is the only thing I drink other than WATER. And if I know I'm going to be out and about (unavoidably going to be near Starbucks) I forego my morning coffee and save it for the treat I'm going to have later--but I get it as fat-free-sugar-free-no-whip as I can!! :)
  • MsLaurie65
    MsLaurie65 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love coffee also, but I had to cut down to 2 cups a week from 3 cups a day every day! I didn't do it over night, it took some time. There are times when I don't drink any coffee or have any soda's but you must understand it took time. Just start with cutting 1 cup out a day and subsitituting with something like a juice maybe. You can do it!
  • ekoepke413
    ekoepke413 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for everyone sharing and all of the insight.... I just wanted to see if it was me or if there was a real withdraw thing happening. I am going to stick to water and try some herbal tea's like somoen suggested. Thanks again so much everyone for sharing and for the words of advice :smile: